neons in trunk

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2003, 09:22 PM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
neons in trunk

ok...i just ordered the neons and ive been fiddling with a strobe light in my trunk...in order for the strobe light to turn off when i close the trunk..i have to use the negative wire from the existing trunk light...if i ground it somewhere else....it wont turn off when i close the trunk (had a freind in the trunk)....anyway..my question is if i run 1 20inch neon and 2 mini 6 inch neons along with the strobe light from the postive and negative wires of the trunk light...do i run the risk of blowing a fuse, causiewng a fire, or melting the wires?..im afraid it will be trying to get to much power through the wires...or will it even get enough power to light the neons?...or would a better oiption be to ground it somewhere and add a switch instead?

btw...i got a crap ass strobe..flashes basscialyl every second...its mae by lightglow...are there anyones that flash faster?
Old 07-31-2003, 12:13 AM
2400 Watts in a TL...Why?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would run a pwr and ground from your battery or from your stereo setup (it sounds like you have a system with the neons).
Get a couple of distro blocks, and run your amp pwr into one and then to your amp, do the same with the ground. Get a relay for a couple of bucks and then run it to your trunk connection. Then you will be using a very small ammount of voltage from the stock setup, only the signal to tell the relay to let the power through. In this case you will not have to worry about a switch the lights will turn on when your trunk light goes on. It depends on what the draw is from all of your lights (if you run wires from the battery) or from your entire aftermarket setup, you might have to up your fuse in you in-line fuse but I can't see you having to up the wire size, the lights shouldn't draw too much. I wouldn't personally connect it to the stock power for the exact reason you said in your post you would blow a fuse or you may be drawing too much through the wires and cause them to heat up or you could screw up the stock computer in the car. You have to think Acura probably puts wires in to do the job for each task it the car that is why some wires going to your fuse panel are different gauges (awg), probably just good enough to do each job. they wouldn't oversize the wires for aftermarket add ons. you could use the signal/remote to turn the relay on because it is very low power(3.?V). I hope this wasn't too much of a run on answer and I hope you got your answers.
Old 07-31-2003, 09:42 AM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hmm...thanx..that complicates things...im not too electrically inclined ...but i think i can handle this... what exactly does the diostro block and relay do and where can i get these from?.... i hvae a battery in my trunk...how should i connect the wires tho?... just put them between the terminal and the power wire between it?

also if i run wires from my hte battery what gauge should they be?...i would directiconnec tit right?