Need some quick sub help....

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2003, 05:32 AM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some quick sub help....

I have a few questions:

I am going to order a elemental sub today ( http://www.edesignaudio.com/ep2/aseries.htm )...either a e10a or a e12a and I have a JL 500/1 amp to run it. Should I go with the 10 or 12. I would rather the 10 for the box size but the 12 for the sound.

The 12 says a 1cft sealed box but I also saw that it can go down to like .4 cft...what is the sound difference as the box gets smaller?

Could I get a smaller box and stuff it with pollyfill to make it think its in a bigger box??

I think (but not sure) the best placement for a sub in a trunk of a car is behind the rear seat firing at the bock of the car...but how would it sound in the back corner (by the tail lights) firing across to the other corner (other tail lights)??

How much space is needed behind the magnet in a box...like I think the 12 is like 6.5" deep...does it need like an inch behind that??

Thanks everyone for the help!!
Old 12-03-2003, 05:43 AM
Not Asian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you were to get the 12", put it in a 1 cft box. I don't see anyway that the sub will sound good in a .4cft box, that's incredibly small for a 12".
Old 12-03-2003, 05:51 AM
Drifting

http://www.edesignaudio.com/miva/mer...egory_Code=ASD this is where it says .4cft I know it seems small to me to thats why I was thinking .75 maybe and some pollyfill to make it think its bigger. I am leaning to the 12 but I want to take as little room as possible...I use my trunk to much to have a huge box and I dont want to block the pass through. I was thinking mounting the 2 JL amps on either side of the pass through (if they fit) and then maybe a fiberglass box in the corner where the little storage area is for the cargonet....but I dont know how a sub would sound right there.
Old 12-03-2003, 06:13 AM
Not Asian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good luck on installing the amps on the sides of the passthrough. Not much room there. If your able to do this, let me know because I don't think it's possible.

I think you will just have to figure out what is more important, space or sound. But I know that some 10" will sound just as well as some 12", but maybe won't play as low or handle as much power.
Old 12-03-2003, 06:21 AM
Drifting

Yeah I am not sure about the room on the side of the passthrough but im going to take some mesurments. I think if I do a little trimming of the carpet that gets in the way it might work but we will see. As for the sub I called the company and they said that a .75 with some pollyfill and the power I have should sound pretty good so maybe thats what I will do.

Any other input is very welcome
Old 12-03-2003, 07:10 PM
Fuct in the hed!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
.75....thats barely bigger than the sub itself As for putting it in the corner....I've heard a 10W7 corner loaded in an Accord and it sounded awesome!
Old 12-04-2003, 05:54 AM
7th Gear

The size of the encloser is going to depend on the specs of the sub speaker. The smaller the encloser usually means tighter bass but can also make it harsh. The 10 inch sub is going to give you tighter drum hits. Where the 12 might seem a bit muddy but will give you deaper sounds. Smaller enclosers take more power to drive the speaker to make the lower notes. Have heard 12's in boxes that small and they don't sound really good. As far as putting the sub in the corners of your trunk. Most of your sound is going to be trapped in the trunk area by doing that. You will also have issues with parts of your car rattling from the differen't bass notes. If all possible for best sound you would want to try get the sound from the sub directly in the cabin area. This is where you want to hear an feel the power of the sub. Food for thought! Depending on what music you listen to and what the rest of the sound system is in your car for the most part the sub is there just to fill in what ever your smaller speakers can't do. Over doing a sub in a car makes the rest of the system sound weak. You will spend lots of money trying to balance that back out. Hope this helps with making yoru decision.
Old 12-04-2003, 07:06 AM
Drifting

The rest of the system is listed in my sig on the first post...as for 10 or 12 its going to be the 12...I ordered it yesterday. As for box size...I still dont know...I will try 1cft and see what that does...that is what they say for the 12" sub to preform well and if its smaller it will need more power and so on. As for placement...im still not sure...I need to see if the amps will even fit on the side of the pass through and then I will go from there.

I will keep yall updated