CL: Need help with Sub configuration on my CL Please :)

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 12:37 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help with Sub configuration on my CL Please :)

Hey everyone i bought some stuff today to upgrade my 99 2.3CL sound system, and i know it will be a process i would like some guidance :p Atm this is my setup.

2x JBL 10in subs I dont know the spec, they came with the car.
1x JBL 300.1 amp, i love this amp it hits so hard.

This setup puts out a respectable sound, impressing anyone i show it to the sound it puts out with the small size gets good remarks. But some of my friends have been increasing their stuff, 4x 12's, 2x 15's etc... Non of them spend the time to research, and get what is best for their subs. So im trying to do just that

Today i bought a 15in Kicker Comp sub and another JBL 300.1 amp and something that i forgot what he called it.... idk what it is i was hoping you all could fill me in for 50$.

------------
I am sorry for the quality of the pictures.. my 2mp camera not cell phone.. lol regular digi camera... sucks.

What i have installed atm

Messy trunk >< Bass guitar, practice amp, skateboard, tennis rackets, sparring gear, martial arts cloths, jumper cables, paintball mask, junk i never use lol

Those are being pushed by 1 JBL 300.1 and hit hard

----
Bought these

I know what the sub and amp is but i have no idea what this is

Any one know?

------
Until i can afford to buy the rest of the 15s i want to run both of those JBL 300.1 amps, one amp per 10in sub. How do i go about this? Just splice into the Radio, Power, and Ground cables? Or do i just buy a splitter and run it that way? Is that thing up there a splitter?

---
Close ups of the Amp

Again im sorry for the picture quality.

Eventually i want to run both 10s and both 15s in my trunk, with the 300.1's hitting each 10in. Then either getting a 1000w amp to power both 15s or getting 2x 500w amps to power each 15in alone, the specs said max output watt was 500 so im guessing that that is the max safe wattage to feed into these subs?

I know i need to study the space needed for each sub, and plan out accordingly but im not at that phase yet :p Just want to know any recommended amp, or amps for these 15s. I like cheap, but good quality, i dont mind spending to get high quality EQ, but if there is something that isnt cheap and will break... but isn't crazy great and super expensive ill rather buy that one, best bang for the buck

If someone managed to read through all my rambling, and can help i beg of you to help

Thanks again!!!

Last edited by Shadoh; 10-10-2009 at 12:41 AM.
Old 10-10-2009, 02:24 AM
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Alright. Here's what I've figure out from my competition experience with my 98. First off, in order to strap your amps (power 1 sub with 2+ amps) you're going to want what's called a Maxxonics Maxxlink. It's a pretty cheap unit, and will allow you to run up to 4 amps on 1 sub.

2nd. If you really want to gain some SPL, you're going to want to pull the brace from behind the rear seats. It's really easy (assuming you have a 10mm socket) and helps move a ton more air into the cabin.

3rd. The thing that you don't know what it is, that's a fuse/fuse holder. That keeps your amps safe. These are good things (until you really know what you're doing, then sometimes they can become a hassle). But run fuses until you really know what you're doing. It goes between the battery + and amp+.

4th. To net the most SPL for your buck, you're going to want a very solid, and well designed box. I've got some experience with our cars, so if you ever want any help, feel free to pm me. As for a box design, I can help you with that, as long as I get some time. School sucks right now, but I'll help you as best I can.

5th. I hope you're not planning on running more than 2 of those Kicker Comps. I doubt you'll be able to fit more than 2 15s in our trunk...

6th. Can you get a picture of the other side of the amp? That'd help determine what all wiring you're going to have to do...
Old 10-10-2009, 07:47 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks mate, glad to have your help.

End result i was hoping to push 2x10s and 2x 15s

Pushing up from the "floor" of the trunk if possible, but all that i can worry about later once i figure out the wiring and stuff here is the picture.

I dont want to strap any of the subs, just want to run one amp for each sub. i have two 10s wired and running now, so i was going to put this new JBL 300.1 into that configuration until i find another deal on a kicker 15" competition and can box them up.

Last edited by Shadoh; 10-10-2009 at 07:50 AM.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
well mixing sub sizes is a no no. either do one or the other. just do what makes you happy. Cuz everybody has their own idea or loud. i imagine your loud is like stock to some of us(no offense intended at all). I imagine your set up is gonna sound really nice and crisp. Also it's gonna be hard to do 2 15's in our trunk unless you get really custom or run a sealed box.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:37 PM
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Can you get a model number off of the subs? If so, that'd really help us advise you on what to do... Also, running 2 of those 15s in our trunks is going to be very hard. Like on1wheel said, only run 1 size of subs. You're probably going to get the best results by building a new box for those 10s of yours and running both amps on the 2 10s. You can easily run 2 10s in a ported box in our trunks (I'm doing it right now) and get very good results from them.