Need Help changing stock deck

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2004, 03:13 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Help changing stock deck

I am a newbie to this forum, and have spent the last 4 hours trying to figure out all that I need to due, but I have failed in my research. This is what I am planning on doing... I am going to buy an alpine CDA-9827, and I want to install it myself, and make it look as professional as possible. I have some questions, and if anybody can help me with any of them, it would be greatly appreciated.

I have a 97 2.5TL

1) Where can I find instructions on removing the stock deck?

2) I need some suggestions on where to buy a mounting kit. I would like a good looking mounting bracket (the piece that holds the deck in place) so that the result is as clean as possible. Any ideas of where to get it?

3) Any other suggestions, tips, comments on the alpine.

Thank you for you time
Old 09-09-2004, 08:30 PM
My baby's daddy

I don't know about the 97. If you order from Crutchfield, they give you awesome instructions. The metra kit is probably your baby. It comes with instructions on how to dismantle the necessary items. No worries! The Metra kit has a silly texture on it. Sand that off. Search for "Metra sand" in this forum. I sanded mine with 200, then 400, then alternated between laquor thinner and a sanding sponge. The color matches the flat black perfectly (its almost grey) but I am not completely sure if you have that same color.

You could also get a scosche kit from sound domain here

Its probably the same thing. Regardless, it will look just as good as what you'd get at the local shop. Receivers are easy. Amps and subs and enclosures? oh my

lastly, on the alpine... Get an amp. don't try to use the deck to power the speakers (I am assuming you are getting aftermarket speakers). I hooked the Alpine up to my Polk DB6500's to start with and thought it sounded ok. Then I got my 50watt x 4 amp wired in and holy crap! I can't even express to you how much better it sounds now. No sub yet, mind you, that's still in my living room awaiting install. A friend of mine has a jvc deck. It sounds better without the amp then the Alpine. But with the amp, Alpine, hands down wins...
Old 09-09-2004, 11:31 PM
Mobile Elec. Guru

for the 96-98 Acura TL's:

Radio Removal:

From drivers side of car, near gas pedal, along side of center console, there is a piece of carpet molding that wraps around below the radio. It unsnaps and opens like a door from the corner closest to the driver's gas pedal. Once this door is unsnapped, with a flashlight you may look up into center console at back, bottom of car stereo and see two silver Phillips/Bolts that screw straight up. With a small ratchet or 90 degree screw driver, loosen these two Phillips/Bolts without removing. Pull stereo out from front of dash. Disconnect antenna and connector.