Need advice - front driver side speaker is flaking on me

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2004, 09:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Need advice - front driver side speaker is flaking on me

Ok, first off, I am running aftermarket speakers (front and rear) and an aftermarket amp (5 channel). The speakers are connected through two line out converters (one for front, one for rear) Stock headunit.

Started to happen about a year or so ago. Every once in a while, the speaker would pop and turn off. I'd turn the radio off for a while and then it was back.

Now the speaker is giving me no bass. Well it's very low and crackly.

I've checked a bunch of stuff.

It is not the speaker or crossover - I swapped out the left side crossover and tried the speaker. Same problem.

I connected the problem speaker to the rear door speaker connection and it sounds fine. I even tried connecting a brand new speaker to the front left channel. That one sounds just like the one in question (crackly)

I swapped the left/right front channel RCAs on the amp - still the left front is the problem

I swapped the left right on the Line out converter for the front speakers, same issue.

Anybody got any ideas? Could it be the headunit? Left front channel is FUBAR? I'm running out of stuff to test.

The audio gear I have is listed in my signature below.
Old 10-31-2004, 08:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NSXNEXT
Ok, first off, I am running aftermarket speakers (front and rear) and an aftermarket amp (5 channel). The speakers are connected through two line out converters (one for front, one for rear) Stock headunit.

Started to happen about a year or so ago. Every once in a while, the speaker would pop and turn off. I'd turn the radio off for a while and then it was back.

Now the speaker is giving me no bass. Well it's very low and crackly.

I've checked a bunch of stuff.

It is not the speaker or crossover - I swapped out the left side crossover and tried the speaker. Same problem.

I connected the problem speaker to the rear door speaker connection and it sounds fine. I even tried connecting a brand new speaker to the front left channel. That one sounds just like the one in question (crackly)

I swapped the left/right front channel RCAs on the amp - still the left front is the problem

I swapped the left right on the Line out converter for the front speakers, same issue.

Anybody got any ideas? Could it be the headunit? Left front channel is FUBAR? I'm running out of stuff to test.

The audio gear I have is listed in my signature below.

I would check the speaker wiring, maybe it is being cut somewhere or is loose somewhere.