navigation voice

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2002, 12:46 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
navigation voice

All you know, the stock audio system is pretty weak. I've been looking into a new stereo but have heard that I would lose the voice for my navigation. I want the new system but don't want to sacrifice the navigation voice. Can someone help me and tell me how to keep the voice when putting on a new head unit. Thanks everyone.
Old 05-15-2002, 12:02 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was looking into the same thing and noticed that when I did the video conversion, there is a right and left audio signal out of the navi unit and a mute signal...the mute signal either goes to the headunit or the external amps to dampen out the radio sound to broadcast the navi voice

...I'm not sure if you just replace the headunit (keeping the same speakers and amps) you can still get the voice or not.

...If you find where that wire goes you can make a switch to turn off the signal from the headunit going into the amps and have the voice signal take over...

...or you can wire a seperate speaker for the navi voice and have the mute signal turn off the speaker amps...

this is my best guess to do this mod...
Old 05-15-2002, 08:44 PM
Instructor

so as long as I have the L and R audio lines going to a speaker and have the mute line connected to the head unit, then the nav. voice will work?
Old 05-16-2002, 01:28 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if the wires go to the speakers, yes i think the voice still works but from what i heard on the other posts on navi voice, I don't think it does...you can try by disconnecting the mute signal line and see if you can hear both your radio and navi at the same time...
Old 05-16-2002, 05:56 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by nimhet
so as long as I have the L and R audio lines going to a speaker and have the mute line connected to the head unit, then the nav. voice will work?
i'm thinking the same, but you can ask DO11AR since he said he/they knows how!!!! :wow:
Old 05-26-2002, 09:34 PM
Instructor

I've decided on the head unit...JVC KD-SH909, but I don't want to proceed withought knowing for sure how to keep the navigation voice. Someone please help!
Old 05-27-2002, 02:30 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was able to retain the NAVI voice and how it normally would function on my Honda Odyssey (which is nearly the same setup as the Acura NAVI system). It required 2 things though - an external amp (to amplify the NAVI voice wires) and a Sony XA-39II switch (can be found Cruthfield.com)

Bascially you take the rear output wires from the receiver and connect directly to the amp. The front output first goes through the Sony switch and it's outputs then go to the amp. Now the NAVI has a dedicated wire that sends out 12v whenever the NAVI speaks. What you do is connect this trigger wire to the wire on the Sony that switches the inputs. It's a little difficult to explain how it works but this diagram might help.

http://nemogira.com/odyssey/amr.jpg
Old 05-28-2002, 12:17 AM
Instructor

Thanks! Your diagram made it so clear and easy to understand. Are you an engineer? I guess I'll proceed with the the install, but the only other thing I was worried about was the steering wheel controls but looks like Crutchfield has that adapter as well. If you don't mind me asking, what type of head unit did you get and have you had any problems with the navi voice since your install? Thanks again for all your help.
Old 05-28-2002, 03:20 PM
Intermediate

I have a Sony MDX-C7900 and I have had absolutely no problems with the NAVI voice. It behaves exactly like how the stock setup does. When the NAVI speaks...the front speakers mute for a second and then the driving directions come on. Good luck!

-nemogira
Old 06-07-2002, 01:38 PM
Instructor

I actually took a closer look at the setup and found there might be a problem. My external amp is only 2 channels and doesn't have front and back inputs. It only has L and R. Where would the front outputs for the sony relay and the rear outputs from the head unit connect to? What external amp are you using?
Old 04-08-2003, 05:34 PM
1st Gear

I don't know if we have the same navi system. I have a honda pilot and I've heard that it is similar to that of the acura system. My problem is I already replaced my head unit. The guy who installed it didn't tell me that my steering wheel controls and voice for navi will not be working. Now I have been searching all over the internet to find out which cable from the navi system is the audio and the mute. If you can tell me which ones they are it will really help me. A picture will be much appreciated. Thank you very much in advance.