Navigation System

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2004, 03:57 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Navigation System

I'm considering purchasing a TSX but would like some insight on the Navigation. I don't know if anyone is familiar with infiniti and nissans "birds eye view", but i was wondering if the navagation on the tsx is similiar.
Old 05-04-2004, 05:57 PM
Master in Science

Re: Navigation System

Originally posted by importdriven
I'm considering purchasing a TSX but would like some insight on the Navigation. I don't know if anyone is familiar with infiniti and nissans "birds eye view", but i was wondering if the navagation on the tsx is similiar.
It's the exact same model as the Toyota Prius. I assume those other brands would have the same model as long as their NAVI is made by Alpine, too.
Old 05-04-2004, 09:57 PM
Intermediate

The navigation in the TSX is similar in the sense that you can put in an address and it will display a moving map while talking you through the directions. Beyond that, there are a couple of key differences I can think of off the top of my head. To me, the biggest deal is that Infiniti's (at least in the G35 Coupe) navigation system is not touch screen. Not only do you have to use the joystick to input data but, because of the level of attention this requires, the system will not allow input of a destination while the vehicle is in motion. I often have my girlfriend plug in a destination while we're on the highway for various reasons like finding the nearest restaurant of a particular type (he's a big Cracker Barrel fan for breakfast) or even the closest gas station. If I get moving and forget to put in a destination before I get on the street, I don't have to stop before entering it into the nav. It's a safety measure they added on Infiniti's system that I completely agree with since you can't just type something in or voice control it. Anyhow, I'm not sure how loosely you define similar but that's just one of the major differences. As far as the "bird's eye" display is concerned, Acura's navigation does not have that view. it's a 2d map with "3d-ish" turn by turn closeup diagrams. I hope this helps a little. There are screenshots on a few threads here. Do a quick search on navigation here and you may find the threads I'm thinking of.