Nav tech info help (TL->NSX transplant)

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2004, 06:13 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nav tech info help (TL->NSX transplant)

Hello All,

I'm in the process of migrating a 2nd Gen TL navigation system into my NSX.

I've got custom cabling all built, video works, nav box seems to be working, but the display unit won't take my PIN. Just responds with "Invalid PIN". The data bus between the display and box is obviously working, since keypresses are working fine.

I noticed that there are "Security" signals coming and going from the unit, and I currently don't have these connected. Since people obviously are able to change their radio head unit, I don't think the security signal going to the radio is important, but the other security signal just goes into some muxed bus according to the shop manual.

So question #1:

What is carried on these wires (SCTY2) and (SCTY1) and is something required to allow the nav unit to fire up? (I'm trying to avoid dragging a huge oscilloscope out to the car)

Question #2:

Is the PIN stored in the head display or the box?

Thank you in advance. I'll be sure to post my final schematic and pictures.

-R
Old 01-23-2004, 11:35 AM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have a hybridized mdx/tl navi cobbled together (eventually, i will wire it into my accord somehow), and i didn't do anything with those security wires. i wasn't sure if it would affect anything, but the nav seems to work okay without it. the pin is tied to the box with the hdd/dvd, not the display.

one bit of advice - you will need VSS input into the nav box for it to work correctly....the dead reckoning scheme can't function properly without it. only problem is, the VSS signal output on my accord is apparently alot faster than that of a TL, so as i drive along, the cursor is moving super fast....the GPS eventually corrects for it, but it results in my position moving forward real fast and then snapping back in a cyclic manner. i need to see specs on the VSS from my car vs. a TL.

good luck!