NAV Screen/Software Low Resolution?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2004, 08:10 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NAV Screen/Software Low Resolution?

So I'm getting my TL w/ Nav tomorrow most likely. When I took the car on a test drive, the Nav appeared low res and kind of cheesy compared to my 02 TL w/nav. Sure the screen is bigger and that is nice, but I was not very impreased with the way the maps looked.

I think it may be a software thing and not anything to do with the hardware. Do any of you find that the resolution is low? Perhaps the processor is weak and it works faster or better in Low res. Any thoughts?
Old 05-25-2004, 01:06 AM
I don't have a Ferrari in

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Big Ped
So I'm getting my TL w/ Nav tomorrow most likely. When I took the car on a test drive, the Nav appeared low res and kind of cheesy compared to my 02 TL w/nav. Sure the screen is bigger and that is nice, but I was not very impreased with the way the maps looked.

I think it may be a software thing and not anything to do with the hardware. Do any of you find that the resolution is low? Perhaps the processor is weak and it works faster or better in Low res. Any thoughts?
the resolution is fine on my TL...maybe i just dont have as high expectations as you but then again, i do not have a 02 TL to compare with. I do however, have an 04 IS300 and my parents drive 03 MDX and 04 G35 and the TL is either the same or above the quality in resolution. Go ask a dealer, and see whats up
Old 05-25-2004, 01:46 AM
TL-SHAWD 6MT Rocks!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did noticed the resolution of the graphics being lower (or it appears to be) compared to my 00 TL, but after using it everyday, you don't notice the difference anymore, or you don't care as much.

I think the resolution is the same, but because the screen is bigger, the dots are separated more. More dots per square inch would require larger memory and more powerful CPU, or you get a slower refresh, which I woudn't want anyway.

I compared it to the G35 and 350z, and the TL looks better still.
Old 05-25-2004, 10:44 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by NOX 3.2
I did noticed the resolution of the graphics being lower (or it appears to be) compared to my 00 TL, but after using it everyday, you don't notice the difference anymore, or you don't care as much.

I think the resolution is the same, but because the screen is bigger, the dots are separated more. More dots per square inch would require larger memory and more powerful CPU, or you get a slower refresh, which I woudn't want anyway.

I compared it to the G35 and 350z, and the TL looks better still.
bingo, the resolution is the same as the older nav but the screen is bigger. same amount of pixels spread across a larger screen will appear to be lower res. this has been the typical resolution and graphics for alpine based navigation for some time now.
Old 05-25-2004, 10:59 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
It is definitely lower resolution than the Lexus navi in my former GS300, but the screen is larger so it's more visible... and it is much better integrated into the dash. Definitely worth the tradeoff. No complaints here.
Old 05-25-2004, 01:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
lady here just got the 300C, I believe the nav is the same software, slightly different layout to make it custome, but fonts and words and maps look similar. Thought hers was much better at first cuz it was crisper, then realized it was a 4" screen, not 8" thus the res looked nicer.

It's almost as if our is "scan doubled" to get to the 8" screen. not complaining.. it's BEEEG.
Old 05-25-2004, 01:41 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Sherlock
lady here just got the 300C, I believe the nav is the same software, slightly different layout to make it custome, but fonts and words and maps look similar. Thought hers was much better at first cuz it was crisper, then realized it was a 4" screen, not 8" thus the res looked nicer.

It's almost as if our is "scan doubled" to get to the 8" screen. not complaining.. it's BEEEG.
4" screen??? that's so tiny. on my aftermarket one from my last car it was a 6.5 display.
Old 05-25-2004, 01:44 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Big Ped
...the Nav appeared low res and kind of cheesy compared to my 02 TL w/nav. Sure the screen is bigger and that is nice, but I was not very impreased with the way the maps looked.
The current NAV appears to be LCD based rather than CRT based. It requires less current and should outlast the original. I quickly adapted (I replaceed a '99 TLP in Dec) and now when I look at the older design (my mother-in-law has an Odyssey), it looks downright tiny.

The new computer is significantly faster and you no longer have to dig into the display to change the HVAC settings. Overall, I think the new design is a winner.

rw
Old 05-25-2004, 03:16 PM
Instructor

I had a 99TL and it too was LCD. I don't think they'd ever use CRTs in a dash....could be a disaster in an accident.
Old 05-25-2004, 03:48 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ken7
I had a 99TL and it too was LCD. I don't think they'd ever use CRTs in a dash....could be a disaster in an accident.
I sit corrected. The new units, however, are far less sensitive to fingerprints than the first gen units. The older screens needed cleaning every time you used them. Perhaps that is what gave me the impression.

rw
Old 05-25-2004, 09:54 PM
Racer

You guys had some very good posts and I appreciate the feedback. I agree that the resolution is the same, just a larger screen. That creates the lower resolution appearance. The Nav market is still being dominated by a small number of players. As a result, we are not able to take full advantage of technology available today. Fine the processor is faster than in the previous navs. But really, the cost of the current processor has to be lower or at the most the same as the old processor. It was three years ago I got my 02 TLs. We have the same resolution we had on the previous model, but a bigger screen. I know the engineers had to know the resolution was going to appear lower. I think that in 3 years, they could have updated the software for higher resolution, provided a bigger screen and doubled the processing power to handle the higher resolution for the same cost or lower.

When a market is dominated by a small group, they (alpine and others) control the pace, while maximizing revenues. It makes perfect business sence. And we end up happy about each small leap they make.
Old 05-25-2004, 09:58 PM
Racer

Following up on my previous post, based on what I've heard, at least our Navs are better in most cases or comparable to the top Navis available today. That I'm happy about and I will be content.

PS. Got my car like 30 minutes ago. I love it and I like the new voice of the lady. It was hard keeping my eyes on the road, as I was trying to push all of the new buttons.