NAV in NON NAV TSX

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2004, 04:55 PM
2005 TL 6MT Aspec

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NAV in NON NAV TSX

My setup is:
Palm Tungsten T3 w/ bluetooth.
Navman GPS-4460 wireless voice enabled Bluetooth GPS Receiver.

The cost of the T3 was $340
Navman $274
Memory card for T3 $59
misc supplies $20
Total $693

I cut a piece of plexiglass to fit on the front of the top storage area. I applied velcro to make the plexiglass black. I installed a power outlet in the back of the bin to hide the T3 power wire. I also installed a power outlet to the left of the steering wheel for the navman power. Both of the units are also battery powered.

The storage door cannot be closed with the palm in place. It can be closed with the plexiglass backing in place.

I coudn't post on the site so here's the link:

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4286989421
Old 05-02-2004, 06:28 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

sweet mod! definately going to consider that kind of setup when I get my next PDA.

You relocated the cigarette lighter to the left of the steering column? how hard was that, and is the bluetooth receiver plugged into it?
Old 05-02-2004, 07:34 PM
2005 TL 6MT Aspec

I added a cig lighter , so now i have 4 .. the receiver plugs into the one near the vsa. It was easy to install, one 7/8" hole and i wired it into the cig lighter in the "not an ashtray".
Old 05-02-2004, 07:53 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

have you considered hardwiring it off the rear view mirror power supply? might make for a cleaner setup.
Old 05-02-2004, 08:16 PM
2005 TL 6MT Aspec

i don't want to hardwire it since i have three vehicles and i want it to be as portable as possible.
Old 05-03-2004, 08:48 AM
Burning Brakes

for 600 i am still glad i went for the stock nav.
first of all the screen is bigger and at eyelevel where it needs to be when your watching the road and following the map.

second. the stock nav will allow the map to rotate around your heading so the direction your going is always up on the map, i can only assume the PDA version doesnt have a compass built in.

third, the stock nav responds to voice commands which makes it even easier to control while driving.

fourth, the display also adjusts to the lighting conditions, if you turn on the lights the display dims.

fifth, the stock system also includes a trip computer which i find very usefull.

there are a lot more reasons to get the stock system. i dont know why im telling you all these reasons. im assuming you decided to get the nav after you already bought the car.
i know some didnt think it was worth the 2000 additional and i know someone said they could do a portable version for less money and that probly is true.
however i think that said its obvious that if you really want the nav your better off getting the OEM unit. not only that the whole system is covered under the factory warranty.
Old 05-03-2004, 09:06 AM
2005 TL 6MT Aspec

For those of you with the stock nav I'm sure it is better.
For those of us who don't have the stock nav this is an alternative that works very well.

The unit does have a built in compass so the maps do rotate.

the unit can be mounted anywhere you would like. I chose the bin so it would be somewhat concealed.

there is also an adjustment for day and night contrast.

having the ability to move the nav from vehicle to vehicle is also a much added plus, something you can't do with your stock nav.
Old 05-03-2004, 12:58 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by Bass Mechanic
for 600 i am still glad i went for the stock nav.
first of all the screen is bigger and at eyelevel where it needs to be when your watching the road and following the map.
How's this for eye level:

second. the stock nav will allow the map to rotate around your heading so the direction your going is always up on the map, i can only assume the PDA version doesnt have a compass built in.
The iQue can do track up and north up and yes it has a compass.

third, the stock nav responds to voice commands which makes it even easier to control while driving.
You win a point there but the iQue does have voice output to give you the driving instructions once you have the route plotted.

fourth, the display also adjusts to the lighting conditions, if you turn on the lights the display dims.
The iQue does this too but it isn't synched to the headlight switch it switches to night mode 30mins before sunset. Night mode dims the screen and it changes the map background to black so the roads still stand out but it's not as bright.

fifth, the stock system also includes a trip computer which i find very usefull.
It has that too. Mileage, service logs, trip costs, etc.

there are a lot more reasons to get the stock system. i dont know why im telling you all these reasons. im assuming you decided to get the nav after you already bought the car.
i know some didnt think it was worth the 2000 additional and i know someone said they could do a portable version for less money and that probly is true.
however i think that said its obvious that if you really want the nav your better off getting the OEM unit. not only that the whole system is covered under the factory warranty.
Of course you have to make up your own mind weither OEM navi is worth it to you but there are a lot of pros to aftermarket too. The main reasons I went with the iQue are:
- OEM navi isn't available in Canada
- you can take the unit with you.
- upgradeability
- it's a palm pilot
- it costs a lot less. I paid around $600CDN for my setup which is about $460US.

I'm not trying to sell the idea to anyone I'm just letting you know what else is out there. The biggest selling features of the OEM navi to me are:
- the voice command system
- entire country on one DVD (mind you I don't know what happens if you cross the border)
- ability to get aftermarket TV input for the screen (although that would certainly void the warranty on a $3500 component).
- bigger screen
- integration with the dash

Food for thought.
Old 05-04-2004, 01:04 AM
Don't listen to me.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Bass Mechanic
I bought the NAVI while my friend did the cheap solution. Needless to say everyone would rather take my car on road trips. They say I have a better NAVI system. However, I just think it looks nicer than any after market setup. For me the look is the most important thing.
Old 05-04-2004, 09:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Dan Martin
How's this for eye level:

The iQue can do track up and north up and yes it has a compass.

You win a point there but the iQue does have voice output to give you the driving instructions once you have the route plotted.

The iQue does this too but it isn't synched to the headlight switch it switches to night mode 30mins before sunset. Night mode dims the screen and it changes the map background to black so the roads still stand out but it's not as bright.

It has that too. Mileage, service logs, trip costs, etc.

Of course you have to make up your own mind weither OEM navi is worth it to you but there are a lot of pros to aftermarket too. The main reasons I went with the iQue are:
- OEM navi isn't available in Canada
- you can take the unit with you.
- upgradeability
- it's a palm pilot
- it costs a lot less. I paid around $600CDN for my setup which is about $460US.

I'm not trying to sell the idea to anyone I'm just letting you know what else is out there. The biggest selling features of the OEM navi to me are:
- the voice command system
- entire country on one DVD (mind you I don't know what happens if you cross the border)
- ability to get aftermarket TV input for the screen (although that would certainly void the warranty on a $3500 component).
- bigger screen
- integration with the dash

Food for thought.
wow i have to say i am impressed! im suprised its that feature packed. but like Ortiz said i think the stock integration does work well. they do the same thing i just think i would prefer the stock setup. but if your in canada i guess your options are a little more limited.
Old 07-06-2004, 11:36 PM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Martin
Food for thought.
Hey Dan. Where did you buy the iQue for $600 CDN? At Canadian Tire, they're $799+Tax. Did you buy it used?
Old 07-07-2004, 08:57 AM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Mine came from ebay but gpscentral.ca is a good place too: http://www.gpscentral.ca/products/garmin/iQue3600.htm
Old 07-07-2004, 09:52 AM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Martin
Mine came from ebay but gpscentral.ca is a good place too: http://www.gpscentral.ca/products/garmin/iQue3600.htm
Thanks Dan.
Old 07-07-2004, 10:02 AM
Banned

Does everything the stock nav does and more for 1700. It also plays all my DVDs and has inputs for the ipod a play station at no extra cost. + The part I love most is that while playing a DVD and a turn comes up it can pause the DVD and display the turn. Then when the turn is complete it puts back on the DVD.

More pics can be seen here under headunit screen