my xm RADIO sucks!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2003, 12:57 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my xm RADIO sucks!!

Hey guys, how many of you have XM?
i just installed it in my TSX and i have to say some of the channels SUCK!
some sound clear and some sound like your in a toilet.
granted im using the FM modulator but some channels sound like the station is not very stereophonic and some sound like there is a slight echo. have any of you noticed this?

im about to rip it all out and return the stupid POS. now i have to buy a new lower compartment because i had to hack it up to get the XM unit in there. i spent about 3 hours making a sup[erb install and now im ready to yank it out after only 30 minutes of listening.
Old 12-01-2003, 10:10 AM
Still here

Hum.... and you know what a radio sounds like in a toliet why? lol Sorry to hear about the problems, did you check any of the XM forums for similar problems?

And don't forget to post pics before you tear it all out!
Old 12-01-2003, 12:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by e_lectro
Hum.... and you know what a radio sounds like in a toliet why? lol Sorry to hear about the problems, did you check any of the XM forums for similar problems?

And don't forget to post pics before you tear it all out!
here is my install

Old 12-01-2003, 03:58 PM
Über Geek

It's the FM modulation.
My friend's XM is hardwired (though not in a TSX) and it sounds great.

Bite the bullet and and pop for the SHOND3 adapter--I assume it works. The XM content is fantastic and you'll keep your nifty install intact.
Old 12-01-2003, 04:31 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You went through all that trouble with the installation and you didnt get an aux-in adapter? You need to finish the job. I'm setting up a snhond03 group buy if you are interested.
Old 12-01-2003, 04:57 PM
Kickstand

Also keep in mind XM rebroadcasts alot of FM and AM stations. SIRIUS is the only one to really be and actual true Sat. broadcaster.
Old 12-01-2003, 06:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by fdl
You went through all that trouble with the installation and you didnt get an aux-in adapter? You need to finish the job. I'm setting up a snhond03 group buy if you are interested.
i plan to get the adapter just havnt got it ordered yet, i kinda just went to best buy and got it last night after a lot of himming and hawing ofer if i should or shouldnt get it.
i found out today logjam is once again out of the units. this pisses me off greatly.
i called soundgate today and they have them in stock and i can get it for 129.95 and i was ready to do that because i could give a rip over 30 bucks honestly. but he said i could try a few local shops that are dealers but the one that said would check price and availability never returned my call.
if you have somthing going or know where i can get one now ill paypal the money asap.
otherwise ill order from soundgate tomorrow.
Old 12-01-2003, 08:09 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Won't have anything for tomorrow. sorry.
Old 12-02-2003, 08:44 PM
Cruise Missile Lobber

Originally posted by Jab31169
Also keep in mind XM rebroadcasts alot of FM and AM stations. SIRIUS is the only one to really be and actual true Sat. broadcaster.
??????????? The only FM/AM station that I know of that XM rebroadcasts is KISS FM from CA. I've had my XM for over a year (in my last car and this one) with the FM modulator and wouldn't trade it for the world. And the only stations that have commercials are the news and talk stations like FOX News Channel. I'm not sure how Sirius would get around not having commercials on a news and talk station.
Old 12-02-2003, 10:19 PM
Kickstand

many of XM's 70 music channels have commercial advertisements. Their channel lineup does not offer "in-house" productions. Instead, you can tune in to rebroadcasts of FM radio stations from all across the country!
http://www.satelliteinsight.com/satellite-radio.html
Old 12-03-2003, 09:03 AM
Intermediate

That is very very misleading. XM simply offers you the option to listen to radio stations across the country. The VAST majority of XM music stations DO come from their own Disc Jockeys.
Old 12-03-2003, 06:01 PM
Senior ATCer

Bass Mech, I'm sorry to hear about your disapointment with XM. Here's a couple of suggestions. Try moving your antenna to a point that has a clearer line of sight to the satellite. If the antenna base is magnetic, I would try the middle of the roof as an experiment to see if you get a better signal. If so, then look for a compromise placement (unless of course you want it on the middle of your roof). The FM modulator should be OK but you won't get the fidelity of a direct connection. One other drawback of FM is that you may be getting interference if there are a lot of stations in the FM frequency you are using. This could be a problem in urban areas. One more suggestion...maybe the Commander you bought is defective. Couldn't hurt to take it back and try another one. Hope you get good results, I really like mine. Here's a couple of links where you'll find more help.
http://www.xmfan.com/index.php http://www.siriusbackstage.com/forum/index.php
Old 12-03-2003, 06:35 PM
Cruise Missile Lobber

That is porbably the most incorrect report on XM I've ever seen. There are very few if any commercials and all of the music stations use their own in house broadcasts from their headquarters in New York and DC.
Old 12-03-2003, 06:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by BamaTSX
Bass Mech, I'm sorry to hear about your disapointment with XM. Here's a couple of suggestions. Try moving your antenna to a point that has a clearer line of sight to the satellite. If the antenna base is magnetic, I would try the middle of the roof as an experiment to see if you get a better signal. If so, then look for a compromise placement (unless of course you want it on the middle of your roof). The FM modulator should be OK but you won't get the fidelity of a direct connection. One other drawback of FM is that you may be getting interference if there are a lot of stations in the FM frequency you are using. This could be a problem in urban areas. One more suggestion...maybe the Commander you bought is defective. Couldn't hurt to take it back and try another one. Hope you get good results, I really like mine. Here's a couple of links where you'll find more help.
http://www.xmfan.com/index.php http://www.siriusbackstage.com/forum/index.php
i moved the antenna to the trunk lid, not because of the sound quality but rather because i was getting a lot of dropouts. since its digital signal the strength of it has nothing to do with the sound quality. you either have signal to make it play or you dont.
i have decided the SQ isnt as bad as i thought or im just getting used ot it.
i ordered the sndhond3 adapter today from a local shop for 89.00 so i saved 10 bucks + any shipping i might have had to pay.
its supposed to be in within 7-10 days but i think it will be sooner than than sinde soundgate n in WY and im in CO
im convinced most of the SQ issued will be resolved after i direct connect it into the head unit.
Old 12-03-2003, 06:47 PM
Burning Brakes

P.S doesnt anyone have anything to say about my install?

im thinking about making the angle a little more tilted up by lowering the bottom edge of the unit into the console a little. i couldnt raise the top part much because the hump in the door hits the knob on the unit.
Old 12-03-2003, 08:50 PM
Cruise Missile Lobber

Sorry Bass, just defending my precious XM. I like where you put it, didn't really want to take the time to do that. I have the Alpine FM modulating unit and I installed it in the compartment above yours. It's set back just enough so that I can still close the lid an it looks stock, pretty sharp if I do say so myself. It's got a 6 cd/mp3 changer hooked up to it also, shows ID3 tags and everything. Blitzsafe is supposed to have an adapter come out soon so that I can connect both of them to the aux plug in the OEM radio. I'll try to get some pics tommorrow. That commander looks great though. Wish I had a reason for why you're getting such bad quality, sorry I'll write more if I can think of anything, but I just shoot tomahauks and torpedoes for a living, not really great with stereo installs.....Oh one other thing...my antenna is on the back deck between the sub-woofers. I get good reception 95% of the time and know I'd get better if I put it on the roof, but I love the way my TSX looks too much to do that My experience is either you're getting a signal or you're not...no real in between. I usually loose my signal going under some overpasses and REALLY hilly roads...just my 2 cents...
Old 12-04-2003, 07:28 PM
Cruisin'

Re: my xm RADIO sucks!!

Originally posted by Bass Mechanic
Hey guys, how many of you have XM?
i just installed it in my TSX and i have to say some of the channels SUCK!
some sound clear and some sound like your in a toilet.
granted im using the FM modulator but some channels sound like the station is not very stereophonic and some sound like there is a slight echo. have any of you noticed this?

im about to rip it all out and return the stupid POS. now i have to buy a new lower compartment because i had to hack it up to get the XM unit in there. i spent about 3 hours making a sup[erb install and now im ready to yank it out after only 30 minutes of listening.
First of all...wow, that's exactly what I wanted to do with the XM commander, it looks sweet! How's the visibility of the display from that angle?

I haven't sprung for a TSX yet, and am using a Pioneer head unit that has a direct connect XM box in my Contour SVT. Don't have any of the problems you're describing with the programming material unless I'm in a place with poor signal, so it's either that or your FM modulator. Keep the faith and keep us posted.

- Brian
Old 12-04-2003, 10:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Re: Re: my xm RADIO sucks!!

Originally posted by bc0203
First of all...wow, that's exactly what I wanted to do with the XM commander, it looks sweet! How's the visibility of the display from that angle?

I haven't sprung for a TSX yet, and am using a Pioneer head unit that has a direct connect XM box in my Contour SVT. Don't have any of the problems you're describing with the programming material unless I'm in a place with poor signal, so it's either that or your FM modulator. Keep the faith and keep us posted.

- Brian
thanks, the display is a little awkard to read as flat as it is but i think im going to remake the ABS peice into a Z shape at the front and lower the bottom part of the screen keeping the top part where it is. this will tilt the face down a little and make it a little easier to see. ill probly have time this weekend to do this so ill post pics after im done.

the signal seems to be better than i first thought and the hard wire adapter should make an inprovement in that area as well.
Old 12-08-2003, 05:53 PM
Burning Brakes

i redid my install and it looks a lot better. i have to take pics but left my camera at work. ill post a new thread later with the pics.
Old 01-06-2004, 03:00 PM
Intermediate

Pics?

I'm really interested in seeing your updated pictures. Got any yet?
Old 01-06-2004, 06:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Re: Pics?

Originally posted by Evelion
I'm really interested in seeing your updated pictures. Got any yet?
a couple pages down i had another post following this here is a link

http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/show...5&pagenumber=1