My Thoughts on Upgrading the TL's Bose System...

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2001, 10:51 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by SERVINN

if hes a user from the forum..then hes not famous
Thanks to the users on this thread... I am now....
Old 10-11-2001, 03:14 PM
Banned

Heh Heh you'll always be famous to me UFCen2000 (bwah ha ha) :p

Austin519
Old 10-11-2001, 10:38 PM
10th Gear

let me guess.. you two are boyfriends...right??
Old 10-12-2001, 09:38 AM
Instructor

Oh man.... you are quick. The people on this thread were fools to doubt your intellect and quick wit. Your intelligence and insight just completely overwhelms me.

Not...

Grow up and let it go.... what are you trying to prove anyway?
Old 10-13-2001, 02:44 PM
10th Gear

why dont you grow some balls....im not trying to prove anything...you fags..just keep saying these little smart-ass remarks..
Old 10-13-2001, 05:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Austin519
10. As for subs; three types of enclosures:
a. sealed (tightest, cleanest and most natural-sounding bass, IMHO...)
-> Not true...sealed is the LEAST natural sounding...by the sheer nature of the enclosure
b. ported (more efficient; tends to boom )
-> The most natural with proper tuning...the size and shape of the port is a key issue, as is the material used inside and dampening material.
You need to learn your fundamentals my boy!

Ported (Bass reflex) are not as precise or deep sounding as acoustic suspension (sealed). This is a widely known fact and not subject to argument! To someone who understands the physics of sound it is common sense. However as Richie mentioned earlier they have greater efficiency!

Bass reflex was designed as a compromise between accuracy and efficiency! I suggest you at least learn how bass reflex works before putting down somebody elses opinions!
Old 10-13-2001, 10:19 PM
Banned

thejavagod:
Although I'm glad you shared your opinion...I've been doing boxes and systems for years, and I know the acoustics behind it, and I know the wave propagation theory behind it. As a computer engineer, one of my chosen technical areas has been wave propagation, and I'm currently seeking a joint patent with Motorola on a device for cell phones. I have studied the "physics of sound", or more rightly called, wave propagation, both in terms of fiber optic transmission for digital systems, as well as sound propagation for analog systems. Another quick thing...over here at ARL, Applied Research Labs, they build sonar for the navy, and I was lucky enough to land a summer internship doing just that. You get more than your fill of wave propagation there, trust me.

Sealed boxes are usually less natural sounding than correctly tuned ported boxes because the surface inside is not a perfect reflective surface, and there is no way to compensate for this by tuning the port(s); plus, most box designers don't give enough depth to their boxes, to allow for the wave's full period (or more rightly in the case of such long waves given by bass response, for the right harmonic of the wave), and this can also be corrected with a ported box.

Ported boxes are easily much deeper sounding than sealed if tuned correctly, by having a port that acts as a third driver. By varying the size, placement, and depth of the port, or multiple ports, you can create an even more realistic sounding system by tuning the port(s) to give an effect of ambience. Obviously this is subject to argument because you and I don't agree.

But your thoughts are interesting. However, locking away your ability to be argued by saying "To someone who understands the physics of sound it is common sense"...won't work. So I make the same suggestion to you, go research more. But arguing with others isn't "putting down" their opinions. There are two schools of though on this, and always will be...some swear by sealed, others by ported, and under that some by simple ported reflex and others by bandpass reflex. However, I have yet to find any sealed enclosure not outdone in both clarity and depth of sound by a ported box...and I have been going to IASCA for 5 years now. And if you'll notice, professional designers such as JL, Rockford Fosgate, Pioneer, Kenwood, and others will ALWAYS tend to use ported reflex (check out RF's new demo truck), and there is a reason for that. Lastly, you will see in professional audio systems by Harmon Kardon, JBL, and Infinity they all use a ported design for their expensive models, and their subwoofer setups. The same reason they do is why those that know audio do. Lastly, the way that the new Wave Radio (that's been advertised to death) and their new boombox achieve such clarity and quality of sound with such a small design is because of a long, snaky, tuned port. I suggest you do more research...

Austin519