Modifying the Nav system...

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2001, 10:02 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Modifying the Nav system...

I'm new to this forum. I've been spending a lot of time in the mp3car.com forums and someone referred me to this site. I've got the fever to add mp3 capability to my car. I know I can get a portable player, and some sort of adapter, but I want a full-time player with a good interface.

Mp3car.com is all about building your own "carputer". For those of you who haven't seen this before, you should check it out. There's a lot of creativity brewing over there. (http://www.mp3car.com) The carputer thing is cool because you have tons of options. You can run DVD, Winamp, GPS software, TV, etc. I only care about Winamp and GPS.

I haven't built my own, because I've had a hard time figuring out where to put the display (ideally a small touchscreen lcd/tft). I can't find a place to put it without it looking like an afterthought.

I could keep going, but let me get to my question:

I've been looking at the 2002 TL's. I like the Navigation system option. $2k is a little steep for something I wouldn't use all the time, and this would only give me half of the solution I'm after. I would still have to add Mp3 some other way. I would like to know if there's a way/what would be involved with "hacking" the Nav system so that it could accept another video source (a video out from a computer in the trunk, for example). The ideal input would be S-video, but standard composite would probably work also. Is this achievable?? I did some searches for MP3 and Winamp, but didn't find anything in the forums.

What would *really* be cool is if the touch screen from the Nav system could also be used to control the computer (ie no mouse).

How high am I??? :p