maxxbass

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2002, 11:04 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
maxxbass

suddenly, our speakers are going to sound a lot better especially for the "non block party car system" crowd. car audio and electronics reviewed it for this month's issue. unfortunately, the article isn't online yet but I expect them to put it up soon. either way, its more than just a gimmick, it shows decent promise.

http://www.waves.com/htmls/Maxxbass_presents/main.htm
Old 04-23-2002, 12:34 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can you go into more detail?
Old 04-24-2002, 04:19 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
alright, I can't write as much as 'southbound' but I'll try my best in my short words.. or you can go to this 'better' site.. which I should have given first http://www.maxxbass.com/ and pick 'what is the psychoacoustics behind max-bass'.

At any rate, the really really condensed cliffnotes version is that, it 'fools' your ear into hearing a bass frequency that really wasn't played.

The original source has the frequency, but after running it through the maxxbass process, it replaces that original frequency with a "combo" of higher frequencies that, according to your ear, sounds the same as the original frequency. Now, if you can believe this (you'll believe that q-sound/spatializer/etc makes stuff appear to be surround too), lets take the next step on their concept. If you only have to play higher frequencies, a smaller speaker can handle the job without over extending or blowing from too much bass, etc. So maxxbass will filter out the original low frequency and the speaker only sees the higher frequencies. To the speaker, it doesnt care, it just thinks oh great.. its in my range of optimum frequency. ... lets play it loud and hard. Now you can even turn the volume higher. But to your ears, you're hearing possibly a subwoofer that isn't even there because now, the original frequency, say 30hz, that was originally ignored, suddenly is playing out of the regular midrange --albeit in an altered form. According to the "experts", it sounds good. For me, its just theoretically sound and I just can't wait to hear it