CL: Mattastick's 1st Gen CL Audio Build

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 02:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Jimmay
understatement lol. I never thought i would spend so much money on this stuff. Let alone the hours you spend building boxes running wires and such.
Very true lol. But your def on your way to havin the right stuff also. IM glad to see other having quality equip and knowing jl and such isint the best out there.
Old 12-18-2010, 03:17 PM
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by antonio3rd
mmm this seems like it could take a while but ill follow
It should be done in January. But I'm not going to rush this thing just to get it done. I've done that before, and it didn't work out at all. So this time, I'm taking my time, and doing it right.

Originally Posted by on1wheel01
Well when u do a build like we do you have a ton of $$$ and time into it. Thats why we can destroy pretty much most others systems. We are beasts lol
Something like that. I know I'm excited to see how a 6th order from a trunk works out. I'm hoping well, but regardless, this should be a low end monster, with the rear chamber tuned at 30hz.

Originally Posted by Jimmay
understatement lol. I never thought i would spend so much money on this stuff. Let alone the hours you spend building boxes running wires and such.
I know most of my time/money has gone into boxes. I've still got a few in the garage, and fortunately 1 is going to get used again on January 2nd for our comp. Just need a 4" aero and a couple hours to make it happen.
Old 12-19-2010, 05:05 AM
vtec kicked in yo

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
oh i know but when its internet most builds seem fast......it took ...me months just to get my subs then a month for the box! im a broke sob to lol
Old 12-22-2010, 06:33 AM
Drifting

Build hit another speed bump yesterday. Had a tire go out on me, so now that's getting replaced along with the middle section of exhaust which was complete garbage. Anyway, that's a nice monetary setback, but it'll be alright. I'll still be good to go for the comp on the 2nd (hopefully working on the box setup tomorrow night) and then finishing the 6th order after that. I was planning on working on the plexi and the single 8 box last night, but then after I took the car to the shop, I left the plexi in the car on accident. So nothing ended up getting done
Old 12-23-2010, 11:33 AM
Drifting

Got the car back last night, driving it for the first time in forever today, and she's running great. Much better now that the exhaust isn't rattling the car apart. It's so much quieter, to me it sounds stock. Anyway, build day tonight with a couple teammates. We should be able to knock out the competition setup and also an amp rack for the S-10 in earlier posts. He's going from 2 AQ 2200's (4500w clamped power) to 2 DD Z1a's (~9kws clamped power). Should be very interesting...
Old 12-26-2010, 10:11 PM
vtec kicked in yo

well shit happens
Old 12-27-2010, 02:28 AM
Drifting

Got the box done in terms of cutting and major stuff. I just need to take another couple hours or so and get it sealed up and everything mounted and all. After setting everything up, I can already tell, people are going to bitch like crazy when they see this setup. The end of the port comes to about 2" from the mic's location on the dash, which I'm sure people will say is giving me some sort of unfair advantage for competition. There's nothing in the rules preventing it, but it's more of a gentleman's agreement not to do something like this. Either way, it's only for 1 comp, and after this one, I'll be building my 6th order for the trunk, which is what I'll be running all season.

In better news, I got a new goodie. Alpine 9835. Screen looks basically new, which is awesome, with only a few minor little hairline scratches on it that you have to look really close to even see. I'm so excited to get it in the Acura and get the 9852 into the back, and my also new 105 into my Celica. Unfortunately, I have to pay to ship an X993, but it's all good. I can't stand the deck, nor the Kenwood brand, so I'm happy to get rid of it, just don't like paying shipping for stuff. Either way, I got a steal on the 9835, so I'm very happy to say the least.
Old 12-27-2010, 05:58 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by mattastick
Last comp I ran 2 True Bass Ultra 8s in a standard (boring) ported enclosure (1.4 cubed tuned at 34hz, IIRC) before trading my amp away. Now I have no amp, and can up these to 10s for pretty cheap, so I'm going to go ahead and do it. According to the manufacturer, the 10s should work better in a 6th order bandpass than the 8s, and that's the plan. Well, quasi-6th (aka series 6th order) anyway. Anyway, at this point, it's just a design an a big piece of acrylic going towards this build. I'll probably get the woofers ordered in a couple weeks when I get paid again. Until then, this is all the update I have.

Pics:

Thoughts?
This is definitely unique since you have extended the port on the internal baffle into the front chamber (most boxes have this port end flush with the baffle) and you also have the internal and external ports on axis (typical is to have them more separated and/or at 90 degrees to each other)...

Do you expect the front half of the box to do much for the sound (compared to if you just had the subs in the rear chamber in a vented configuration)? Are you trying to create a resonance in a specific range of frequencies?
Old 12-27-2010, 10:45 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by feuss2
This is definitely unique since you have extended the port on the internal baffle into the front chamber (most boxes have this port end flush with the baffle) and you also have the internal and external ports on axis (typical is to have them more separated and/or at 90 degrees to each other)...

Do you expect the front half of the box to do much for the sound (compared to if you just had the subs in the rear chamber in a vented configuration)? Are you trying to create a resonance in a specific range of frequencies?
The guy that did the final design of the enclosure (Mike Singer) has used this type of design many times, with very good results. Here's a link to Singer's wagon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75kUy...eature=related

The thing is absolutely sick, and the guy knows his 6th orders.

As for that type of design changing the response, yes it should quite a bit. The rear chamber is tuned at 30hz, and we've added a loading wall to the mix. This means that the setup should play a good bit lower than that 30hz tuning, since below rear chamber tuning, the woofers will no longer be controlled by the port, but the loading wall should still provide proper loading. I was told this setup should play down to the 25hz range with authority, but we'll see. That enclosure's not going to be built till around the 2nd week of January at the earliest, but it should be very interesting. Unfortunately, this is a slow moving thread, but I'm flat broke right now, so I'm doing what I can.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:18 AM
vtec kicked in yo

hows it goin been a while since i posted .
Old 01-01-2011, 05:07 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Regarding your crossover needs, you may want to go the pro audio route for that. There is a product called the Soundweb 9088 made by BSS Audio, it's an 8 in 8 out complete audio processor that will do what ever you want it too. It is the most configurable active crossover I have ever used. You can pick one up used for around $800. The equalizers and filter settings go way beyond any analog crossover I have seen for car audio. With the high powered components you have, this would give you surgical control over your system.
Down side is you have to program it yourself, but it's easy.
Old 01-01-2011, 07:21 PM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Where would he put that thing tho?

behringer dcx can work too if u can figure out where to put it.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:21 PM
Cruisin'

True it is a rack mount piece, but seeing that huge amp sitting there I am thinking it will go where ever he wants it. Since it is a rack, rack ears can be attached anywhere to house it and it's only 1u. Again since this is such a tear apart mod, he could also strip it from the housing and mount the electronics separate. As they say, where there is a will there is a way. And if it is control you want, I am not aware of a better solution. This thing is ninja tits...
Old 01-01-2011, 11:24 PM
Cruisin'

Also check this for a simple alt many people are not aware of...
http://www.rdlnet.com/subcategory_pr...subcategory=25
Great simple pro audio stuff... handy problem solvers...
Old 01-01-2011, 11:36 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by eggyhustles

Also, beware of Behringer, it is cheap and works, but does not sound that great, and does not do all it says it does. This means that the claims of the filtering that it can do, and what comes out on the spectrum analyzer when you test it are two different things. Unlike the BSS that is used to run all the audio at all of the Houses of Blues and many other very nice professional audio installations. They used to cost $3k back when I used them, but now they are old and cheap but so nice!
Old 01-06-2011, 07:10 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by antonio3rd
hows it goin been a while since i posted .
It's goin. Won the 29.9 bassrace this past weekend. It was ugly, and that cheater box idea was a horrible one (hard as hell to control since it was only pressurizing the mic and not the whole cabin like a traditional setup) but I was able to make it work. Now that I'm back to work full time, I should be getting the 6th order going here in a week or so.

Originally Posted by arucakes
Regarding your crossover needs, you may want to go the pro audio route for that. There is a product called the Soundweb 9088 made by BSS Audio, it's an 8 in 8 out complete audio processor that will do what ever you want it too. It is the most configurable active crossover I have ever used. You can pick one up used for around $800. The equalizers and filter settings go way beyond any analog crossover I have seen for car audio. With the high powered components you have, this would give you surgical control over your system.
Down side is you have to program it yourself, but it's easy.
8 channels in, 8 channels out is ideal. However, once I get to needing that kind of crossover network (or at least once I build it) I'll have a carputer. So why not run a digital crossover inside the computer, rather than have some sort of cable to another crossover and then going to RCA's to the amps. Ideally, I could find some way to use optical cable instead of RCA's or something like that, but I doubt it'll happen, since I don't want the expense of some badass Zapco amps. They would be nice to have though.

Until I need those 8 channels of output, I'll be running an Alpine 9835 that I picked up recently. It'll be a nice step up, and it'll be nice to get the Ack back to a solid 3 way active setup.

Originally Posted by eggyhustles

I'm not too worried about mounting things. I'll have most of the trunk, initially, then in awhile when things get really re-done, I'll have the whole trunk, but more batteries back there. Either way, I'll figure it out.

True it is a rack mount piece, but seeing that huge amp sitting there I am thinking it will go where ever he wants it. Since it is a rack, rack ears can be attached anywhere to house it and it's only 1u. Again since this is such a tear apart mod, he could also strip it from the housing and mount the electronics separate. As they say, where there is a will there is a way. And if it is control you want, I am not aware of a better solution. This thing is ninja tits...
Huge amp? lol. I have yet to run a big amp in my car. A big amp would be ~36" long and weigh in around 60lbs. My amps have all been in the 18" long range and maybe weigh 25lbs.

Also check this for a simple alt many people are not aware of...
http://www.rdlnet.com/subcategory_pr...subcategory=25
Great simple pro audio stuff... handy problem solvers...
Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't see 8 channels happening in a cost effective way going that route.

Also, beware of Behringer, it is cheap and works, but does not sound that great, and does not do all it says it does. This means that the claims of the filtering that it can do, and what comes out on the spectrum analyzer when you test it are two different things. Unlike the BSS that is used to run all the audio at all of the Houses of Blues and many other very nice professional audio installations. They used to cost $3k back when I used them, but now they are old and cheap but so nice!
Good to know about Behringer and BSS. Good info
Old 01-14-2011, 02:31 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by mattastick
8 channels in, 8 channels out is ideal. However, once I get to needing that kind of crossover network (or at least once I build it) I'll have a carputer. So why not run a digital crossover inside the computer, rather than have some sort of cable to another crossover and then going to RCA's to the amps. Ideally, I could find some way to use optical cable instead of RCA's or something like that, but I doubt it'll happen, since I don't want the expense of some badass Zapco amps. They would be nice to have though.

Until I need those 8 channels of output, I'll be running an Alpine 9835 that I picked up recently. It'll be a nice step up, and it'll be nice to get the Ack back to a solid 3 way active setup.
You will only be using the 6 outputs for your 3 way x-over but the extra two outputs could come in handy sometime. Also these outputs would be balanced, which I think would be better than going digital. Balanced outputs naturally cancel all noise picked up in the cable using phase-cancellation unlike single ended or RCA's. True your amps prob don't have balanced inputs, but an inexpensive input transformers can fix that. You would also be able to run the processor single ended if you wanted. Also, the +4db outputs give more headroom and a better signal to noise ration when compared to the -10db outputs most consumer electronics offer.

The reason you don't want to use your carputer for your x-over is the same reason it is better to go with a standalone processor than your desktop computer for audio processing. The bss hardware is specifically built and tested to run their software processor with very few problems or bugs. It is extremely stable and wont steal computer cycles from your day to day activities.

The BSS is programmed with a laptop, but works standalone and has features that I don't think exist any ware else (I may be wrong). The key feature is being able to set up to a 48 db/oct slope, this gives your surgical like control over your x-over point and can help solve problems.

In real time with the bss hooked up to a laptop, you can set your 3 way x-over, insert as many eq's, compressors, delay, or any of the tools they offer inline inside the processor with out having to wire separate components. The code used to write the processing software, even though it is old, is much better than what they use in consumer electronics. I am guessing that the balanced inputs and outputs and D/A converters they use sound much better than the interface on your carputer would sound.

Again, I may be wrong about the sound quality as I have not tested them; furthermore, this is not the usual application for this hardware and you would most likely be the first to use something like this.

I used one of these systems for my x-over and as a general real time tool kit in my studio for years and it held up against Pro-tools and MOTU hardware with no loss in sound quality.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:29 PM
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Anything new?
Old 01-18-2011, 09:46 PM
Drifting

Nothing new. Car hasn't even started in the last couple weeks. Started a new job the Monday after the last comp. I'm working at Bilstein North America now, and just haven't felt like working on the Acura. I've been looking for a new project vehicle, something more of an older car. Was lookin at 50's era Ford trucks, but those are very difficult to find. Now I'm expanding my search a bit, but we'll see. I like the older Fiat Spyder 124's/2000's since dad had 2 a couple years back. Unfortunately, he had to sell them, so it'd be nice to pick up another one and build it into a bit of a hot rod like we had wanted to with the parts car he had. The other one we wouldn't dare touch, seeing as it was 1 of like 1200 that year and model. It was sick...