A little help please???

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2004 | 01:44 PM
Banned

A little help please???

Hi, as you can see in my sig, I have 2 Audiobahn 12" subs and an Audiobahn amplifier. I was wondering if my subs are being underpowered, overpowered, or just right. Also, would I blow my subs if I added another one of the amps that I already had? If I added another one of the amps, would my subs be much louder, or would there not be that much of a difference, or would they blow? Any help would be great. Here's links to the specs of the subs and amp. Thanks
Subs
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-oDp3u09...search=aw1206t
Amp
http://www.cardomain.com/sku/ABNA18001DT

Oh yeah, by the way, they are wired at 4 ohms.
Old 07-19-2004 | 03:33 PM
Instructor

Well right now you're getting about 150 watts RMS to each coil. Each coil can take 25-550 wRMS.

If you added another amp, you would have to wire each sub individually (right now they are wired together w/ VC's in series to achieve 4ohm overall load). So individually, you'd have to run 2 or 8 ohm overall load for each sub. Running at 8ohm would almost defeat the purpose of buying a second amp as far as power goes. At 2ohm, you'd be getting about 600wRMS per coil. I doubt this would cause you to burn up your coils, but it is pushing the limit as far as the sub specs go. Anythings possible if you crank the gains and play the subs to the point of distorting though. I personally wouldn't be too worried about it, but if you really crank the hell out of it, there is definitely a higher probability of failure than w/ the 150wRMS option.

You would notice a difference between 150 and 600 watts per coil - probably get a few db out of it. Its up to you if you want to spend the extra money for a few db. An ideal power level would be about 300-400wRMS per coil.

[edit] - No, you are not underpowering your subs. You're a shade on the lower side of the range, so you're operating w/ more "safety" at a the expense of a few db.
Old 07-19-2004 | 08:14 PM
Burning Brakes

just wire the subs parallel/ parallel.. that way you would have a 1ohm load present and get 1800w... 900w to each speaker or 450w to each voice coil...
Old 07-19-2004 | 09:06 PM
Banned

Hmm well that sounds good, but how would I go about doing that? I'm not that great with electronics, but I can usually get the job done, I just need some help on how to wire it parallel/parallel. Thanks!
Old 07-19-2004 | 10:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Very simple. Just wire all the positive wires together and all the negative wires together.