Kicker amps, anyone use?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2004, 01:35 PM
2004 TSX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kicker amps, anyone use?

I have some Kicker amps I bought from a friend. One is a SX 650.2 (mono).
I'm thinking about trying this with a pair of JL Audio 8W7. Has anyone had any experience with any of these products? In combination or seperate or any Kicker amps...

The issue with the amp is, it's rated for 2 ohm stable says not to go below 2, but the 8w7 are 3 ohm speakers.
Old 06-10-2004, 01:38 PM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
i have a kicker 600 watt mono amp powering two 12s and its plenty powerful. especially if you include line drivers in the install.
Old 06-10-2004, 02:10 PM
Advanced

if the amp isn't 1 ohm stable, then DON'T put the 8w7's in parallel. i don't know what their power handling is, but you could try to put them in series for a 6 ohm load. might not be too loud, but atleast you won't fry anything
Old 06-10-2004, 02:44 PM
2004 TSX

Ok forget the 8w7 idea, becuase I just found out what they cost. But still, if anyone wants to share some input on the Kicker amps, it's appreciated...
Old 06-10-2004, 02:58 PM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I have used several various Kicker amps and have been happy with them. (Actually ran a big Impulse amp off a head unit runing to solo 12's, and worked out OK).

I have heard reports that they are one of the amps you don't want to screw down to metal and thus ground the chassis of, but I have not personally had any noise problems as a result of doing so (of course, maybe the anodizing or paint hadn't worn off yet...

If you are an audiophile, don't use the lower-end amps to drive bright tweeters (JBL, Infinity, MB Quart) unless you have had an accident as a child involving being too close to a steam whistle. If you used to be a roadie for Metallica, then go ahead - maybe you'll hear them

Yeah, if you are using any small-sealed-box, heavy-coned, stiff-suspension woofer, you will need a good ballsy amp to keep things under control. That one should do great. Just out of curiosity, that seems like a lotta power for a pair of 8's... what's your system plan?
Old 06-11-2004, 08:26 AM
2004 TSX

I'm an audiophile from way back, done many competitions(and cars and installs) in the early/mid 90's. But I haven't been keeping up with it as much as I would have liked in the last 4-5 years.

But now, I've really missed have a nice audio system, especially driving as much as I do (75k miles in 2 years)...So, as so as I get the rest of the suspension sold off my WRX(POS) is getting traded in for a TSX, hopefully in a couple weeks...

Anyway, I have no definite plans at the moment. Just in the planning stages. I do have 2 new JL 10"s in the closet at home, W0. And a couple Xtant amps, one brand new, on used pretty good.
I have the 2 brand new Kicker amps that I just bought because they seem like a good deal, $500(yes $250 each) for a SX 650.1 and SX 400.2.

Now, I'm looking at the 8w3v2(run 3 of them), I like 8"s, and since I have plenty of power....

The sub box will probably be ported... I also have some new MB Quart speakers in the closet, but I'm thinking of trying Focal, as I heard a couple sets recently and they sound pretty good..HU will remain stock, but I'll add something for MP3 and probably XM...

The amps won't be mounted to car metal, I've had experience with that in the past.

And also planning to add window control for on-arm window close/sunroof close.

the trunk install over all, will hopefulyl be a combination of show quality with functionality. Wood, fiberglass, acrylic and aluminum(and maybe other fun materials) will probably all get used back there, hehe..