Keep factory headunit?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2001, 03:24 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keep factory headunit?

Hi I'm pretty new to this site. I am installing 2 10" JL w0's and Boston Pro components in the front. I have 2 MTX amps to run them. I was just curious if anyone has left in thier factory radio, cause its pretty cool to have the in-dash changer. Also I wanted to know if anyone things it will sound like crap if I leave it in. Thanks!
Old 07-17-2001, 04:03 PM
Retired. Not available.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Hcor88:
<STRONG>... it will sound like crap if I leave it in! </STRONG>
You already have the conclusion
Old 08-08-2001, 04:39 PM
Instructor

I totally DISAGREE!!!

I have a NAVI CL-S, and for obvious reasons (the NAVI "voice" and the steering wheel-mounted audio controls), I kept the OEM head unit (made for Acura by Alpine) when I got rid of ALL of the Blowz low-fi components.

I've been into audio longer than many of you posters have been on this planet, and, believe me, my "modest" upgraded system (see below) was such a HUGE improvement over the Blowz system that it's hard to justify the hassle, expense and INCONVENIENCE of giving up the Alpine OEM head unit. IMO, it sounds pretty damn fine to me.

HOWEVER, If you DON'T have a CL with NAVI, and/or you're willing to give up the really nice OEM features Acura/Alpine have provided you with their integrated head unit, then, obviously a new high-QUALITY head unit probably is going to give you more clarity (less distortion), etc. if your ears are sophisticated enough to hear it.

So, non-NAVI folks, in the final analysis, you gotta ask yourself, "Is it really worth the extra bucks?" BTW, If you do go to a new head unit, a subwoofer level control is a mighty nice feature.

[ 08-13-2001: Message edited by: technoid ]
Old 08-08-2001, 10:02 PM
Intermediate

I agree with technoid. I don't have the Nav system. I replaced all of my speakers and added a sub (see sig.) and the system sounds great. I had an Eclipse head unit in my old car(for sale, if anyone wants an Eclipse CD unit), and I'd say this upgrade sounds at least as good.

There were three big reasons I didn't want to replace the stock head unit. The first reason is that I wanted a stealthy look to my system so theives wouldn't be too tempted... and what's more low-key than stock?

The second reason I kept the stock H.U. is that I didn't want to go through the pain of getting into the dash, since I did the installation myself.

The third reason is that I have seen many pictures of aftermarket H.U.'s installed in the CL and not one of them looked right to me. The rectangular aftermarket units just don't look right in the CL's trapezoidal dash location.

You could do what I planned to do. You could install the system, keeping the stock head unit, then if you don't like it, put in a new one.

I spliced into the signal wire rather than use a line-level converter. I felt this was the cleanest way to do it. If you do this, be sure to use a groud-loop isolator to eliminate any background noise.
Old 08-09-2001, 02:14 AM
Retired. Not available.

Originally posted by technoid:
<STRONG>I totally DISAGREE!!!

I have a NAVI CL-S, and for obvious reasons (the NAVI "voice" and the steering wheel-mounted audio controls), I kept the OEM head unit (made for Acura by Alpine) when I got rid of ALL of the Blowz low-fi components.

I've been into audio longer than many of you posters have been on this planet, and, believe me, my "modest" upgraded system (see below) was such a HUGE improvement over the Blowz system that it's hard to justify the hassle, expense and INCONVENIENCE of giving up the Alpine OEM head unit. IMO, it sounds pretty damn fine to me.

HOWEVER, If you DON'T have a CL with NAVI, and/or you're willing to give up the really nice OEM features Acura/Alpine have provided you with their integrated head unit, then, obviously a new high-QUALITY head unit probably is going to give you more clarity (less distortion), etc. if your ears are sophisticated enough to hear it.

So, non-NAVI folks, in the final analysis, you gotta ask yourself, "Is it really worth the extra bucks?" BTW, If you do go to a new head unit, a subwoofer level control is a mighty nice feature.

----------------------------------------

2001 3.2 CL-S
NAVI
Satin Silver
-
Comptech Headers,
H&R OE Sport Springs,
Koni Yellows,
Comptech Anti-sways,
Neuspeed Upper Strut Tie Bar
-
JL Audio 300/4, 250/1 monoblock,
JL Audio 10W6 sub in custom enclosure,
Boston Acoustics ProSeries 6.5's,
Boston Acoustics RM9's

[ 08-08-2001: Message edited by: technoid ]</STRONG>
Ummm ... Are you sure the head unit is made by Alpine? I know the Navi is made by Alpine but the head unit has Bose stamped all over it. I really doubt it was made by Alpine.
Old 08-09-2001, 03:25 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by SilverKnight:
<STRONG>
Ummm ... Are you sure the head unit is made by Alpine? I know the Navi is made by Alpine but the head unit has Bose stamped all over it. I really doubt it was made by Alpine.</STRONG>
I thought the non-nav 6 disc unit was Pioneer, I think someone even had a picture of the unit with the 'Pioneer' sticker on the backside or internals or someplace. It would make sense. As far as I am aware Bose doesn't make any head units.
Old 08-09-2001, 11:36 AM
Drifting

You can also do what I am going to do and that is keep the stock headunti and tap into the signal befor it gets to the boes amp and run it to an audiocontrol four.1 EQ. This will also boost the volts (that are extreamly low from the head unit) as high as 13v depending what you amp can take as far as input volts. I think this will give you the cleanest and most powerful signal from the HU. I am going to install it right abouve the HU in that usless coin tray (for non navi). hear is a pic of the EQ
Old 08-10-2001, 05:01 PM
Instructor

Blowz head unit? NOT!

The installer gurus at Myer-Emco (the premier audio/video company in the Washington D.C. Metro area), told me that the head unit is made by Alpine -- period. (The NAVI unit definitely is an Alpine - ask Radley Acura.)

BTW, in my installation, Myer-Emco used the OEM head unit, without hacking it to pieces, and spliced into the high-level output cables to the former Blowz power amp. There is NO "low-level" signal output from our Alpine head unit for a device like your AudioControl EQ, which, unless it has high-level to low-level conversion capability, could introduce unwanted distortion, etc. if inserted between the OEM head unit and a power amp.

As far as MY installation, there was NO need to boost any voltage--I got plenty-o-gain. In fact, I am inserting a subwoofer attenuator between my OEM head unit and the 250/1 monoblock sub amp. So, given that my JL Audio 300/4 amp has both low-pass and high-pass filtering, so why hack up my dash any more for an aftermarket EQ?
Old 08-11-2001, 04:13 AM
Drifting

I thought that I have seen some people say that you can tap into the signal before the blowz amp from the HU and get a cleaner signal but its weaker than if you tap into it after the blowz amp....so the AC EQ would kick up the volts to compensate for the lower signal. Am I wrong in thinking that????? Can anyone clear this up for me????
Old 08-12-2001, 05:05 PM
Instructor

OK, here's what happened to me:

I haven't got a EE degree (I'm just a humble systems analyst), but I do know (fer sure) that my installers ripped out the Blowz amp completely and "spliced" directly into the cables coming out of the head unit--period. So, you're partially correct: No BLOWZ amp, no distortion. The audio cables from my head unit were connected directly into my JL audio amps, which have variable line-input level adjustments. No special in-line mods were required, as there was more than enough voltage to drive my JL Audio amps.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.
Old 08-15-2001, 02:03 AM
Retired. Not available.

Originally posted by technoid:
<STRONG>Blowz head unit? NOT!

The installer gurus at Myer-Emco (the premier audio/video company in the Washington D.C. Metro area), told me that the head unit is made by Alpine -- period. (The NAVI unit definitely is an Alpine - ask Radley Acura.)

BTW, in my installation, Myer-Emco used the OEM head unit, without hacking it to pieces, and spliced into the high-level output cables to the former Blowz power amp. There is NO "low-level" signal output from our Alpine head unit for a device like your AudioControl EQ, which, unless it has high-level to low-level conversion capability, could introduce unwanted distortion, etc. if inserted between the OEM head unit and a power amp.

As far as MY installation, there was NO need to boost any voltage--I got plenty-o-gain. In fact, I am inserting a subwoofer attenuator between my OEM head unit and the 250/1 monoblock sub amp. So, given that my JL Audio 300/4 amp has both low-pass and high-pass filtering, so why hack up my dash any more for an aftermarket EQ? </STRONG>
I'll take my OEM head unit apart just to prove you wrong or right We'll see what it is
Old 08-17-2001, 01:52 PM
f-a-b-o-l-o-u-s

fvck the stock 6cd changer!
Get a cd/mp3 deck, and you'll never have to fumble around with cds again.

I just got the JVC Digifine 2.1, 3 4v pre-outs, 50w x 4 internal, multicolor disp, cd/mp3 text, motorized aluminum face for around $300.
Old 08-17-2001, 03:05 PM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
my2sense, did you get the single din dash kit custom made? and what about the wiring harness?
Old 08-17-2001, 03:07 PM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
my2sense, did you get the single din dash kit custom made? and what about the wiring harness?