iPod Installation Components and Process

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2004, 07:35 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb iPod Installation Components and Process

Alright, I'm about to fork over some $$ to buy an iPod and do the install. But before I do, I would love to have some questions answered...

1) From what I've read so far, for a fairly easy install...I will need..

iPod
Belkin Auto Kit
Radioshack GLI
SNHOND3

Is that it? Is the GLI even needed? I plan on keeping the iPod in the center console hooked up to the Belkin Kit

2) I would like to basically follow Neil Weinstock's mod instructions because from what I can see, you don't need to remove the center consol or mess with the heated seats, shifter, etc. Basically you can just tuck the cord under the side of the console right?
Is there any hidden steps I should know about that are not included in his instructions here....
http://www.webspan.net/~nsw/iPod_install/

3) Regarding MP3 players in general....Can I do this same install(with Belkin Kit) using the Dell Jukebox 20G? Or would that require a seperate kit and install process? The Dell player looks a little more attractive and its cheaper, but I know nothing about MP3 players, so please fill me in. Price is not a major issue, but ease of use/hookup is. And now for the stupid question...If I already have about 2000 songs on my computer...some MP3's from Kazaa, Ares, etc...some Realplayer, some Win Media....can I just transfer all of these onto the iPod? I dont want to have to pay .99 at iTunes everytime I want a song.

Thank you so much!!
Old 05-25-2004, 11:36 PM
TSX Bronco

1) Yes, that's all you need + the mirror! The mirror helps big time when plugging in the SNHOND3. I would recommend the GLI since you'll need it if you plan on charging the iPod or any other device while using it.

2) I tucked all the cords behind the console and out by the kick panels. You can do it more elegantly but I took the easy way out.

3) I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be able to. You'll just need a different auto kit for the device to charge it.

BTW, the iPod only does MP3 and AAC as far as I remember. I have one myself and all I have on it are MP3's. I know for a fact it doesn't do WMA.
Old 05-26-2004, 11:47 AM
8th Gear

I just did a simple Dell DJ 20G install by following the instructions on the top post of this forum. Took 15-20 minutes total. Just buy the adapter, plug it into the head unit, plug the mini-to-rca cable to it, and finally connect that to the mp3 player. This works for any mp3 player.

Dell DJ has good battery life (16 hours advertised), so I would not be overly worried about the charger and GLI, just take it home every few days to charge it and you should be fine.

Currently, my DJ is stowed in one of the compartments in the dash, and I am looking for a decent (non-in-line) remote for it.
Old 05-30-2004, 03:55 PM
Advanced

Sweeeet! I got it all hooked up. Easy as 123. I did it like I said I would above, and it only took about 15 minutes total! So far, the iPod is the best investment I've made in years(except the TSX). I'll post some pics when I can.
Old 05-31-2004, 10:28 PM
Don't listen to me.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats!!