Ipod ICELINK install **pics**

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2004, 02:24 AM
V6 Torqueless Wunder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how is usability for the ipod? what button do you press to make it play and change tracks?
Old 12-05-2004, 12:01 PM
Resident DJ

The controls on the head unit will advance the tracks backwards and forwards as well as cycle the iPod through its "repeat" modes, and toggle the shuffle mode (on/off) for the current playlist. You can also advance tracks (forward only) with the steering wheel button. The volume controls on the steering wheel just change the volume on the head unit...same as ever.

The iPod turns on and off when the head unit turns on and off or goes in and out of the new CD1 input that the Dension creates. Say you are listening to the radio. You press the CD button once, and the head unit switches to the CD changer IF you have any CDs in the changer. Then you press the CD button a second time and the head unit switches to "CD1". This sends a message to the iPod to turn on. It will basically start playing whatever it was last playing usually. Or, it will just turn on to the main menu...it just depends on how the iPod was turned off. When you switch back to the radio (by pressing the FM button) the iPod will automatically turn off and start charging the battery. Also, if you trun the head unti (or the car) off, the iPod shuts off and starts charging.

To change playlists and stuff, you still need to use the controls on the iPod. Also, (obviously) track names and stuff like that are only displayed on the iPod. The head unit just says "CD1" whenever you are playing the iPod.

I have to say (as I've said before in another thread) that purchasing the Dension IceLink is one ofthe best car-mod decisions I have ever made. I enjoy driving so much more now that I have thousands of awesome songs at my disposal. And the sound quality of the iPod going through the IceLink is absolutely flawless and fantastic. I can literally get bass and treble at volume levels I only dreamt about in the CD changer...and without any distortion. With some songs, it almost feel like I have a new stereo system in my ride.

Hint: set the iPod EQ to "Rock" for the best sound (in my opinion).

Lovin' it.
Old 12-05-2004, 01:46 PM
mushroom mushroom

Originally Posted by skyeflye
The controls on the head unit will advance the tracks backwards and forwards as well as cycle the iPod through its "repeat" modes, and toggle the shuffle mode (on/off) for the current playlist. You can also advance tracks (forward only) with the steering wheel button. The volume controls on the steering wheel just change the volume on the head unit...same as ever.
I never knew you could cycle through repeat modes and shuffle mode what buttons do this?

Old 12-05-2004, 02:14 PM
Resident DJ

Originally Posted by bug230
I never knew you could cycle through repeat modes and shuffle mode what buttons do this?

Yeah, Bug230! Use one of the two circular buttons on the bottom left of the head unit, where it says (RPT/RDM). When you press them, an icon on the iPod will either turn on, change, or turn off depending on its current play mode.

I have a 4th Gen iPod, but I suppose it would work on an 3G as well.

I just discovered this feature by accident since it wasn't in any of the IceLink documentation!

Enjoy!
Old 12-05-2004, 02:15 PM
mushroom mushroom

Thats cool thanks!
Old 12-06-2004, 12:56 PM
V6 Torqueless Wunder

Originally Posted by skyeflye

The iPod turns on and off when the head unit turns on and off or goes in and out of the new CD1 input that the Dension creates. Say you are listening to the radio. You press the CD button once, and the head unit switches to the CD changer IF you have any CDs in the changer. Then you press the CD button a second time and the head unit switches to "CD1". This sends a message to the iPod to turn on. It will basically start playing whatever it was last playing usually. Or, it will just turn on to the main menu...it just depends on how the iPod was turned off. When you switch back to the radio (by pressing the FM button) the iPod will automatically turn off and start charging the battery. Also, if you trun the head unti (or the car) off, the iPod shuts off and starts charging.

To change playlists and stuff, you still need to use the controls on the iPod. Also, (obviously) track names and stuff like that are only displayed on the iPod. The head unit just says "CD1" whenever you are playing the iPod.

I have to say (as I've said before in another thread) that purchasing the Dension IceLink is one ofthe best car-mod decisions I have ever made. I enjoy driving so much more now that I have thousands of awesome songs at my disposal. And the sound quality of the iPod going through the IceLink is absolutely flawless and fantastic. I can literally get bass and treble at volume levels I only dreamt about in the CD changer...and without any distortion. With some songs, it almost feel like I have a new stereo system in my ride.

Hint: set the iPod EQ to "Rock" for the best sound (in my opinion).

Lovin' it.

wow... seems like 40 gig ipod for me next

i wonder if the 60 gig photo ipod will work?

Old 12-06-2004, 01:18 PM
Resident DJ

I think that it probably would work, since Apple would want it to be backward compatible with all of the other iPod accessories that "talk" to the iPod the way that the IceLink does.

But the 60-gig iPod would definitely not fit into the IceLink "dock". It is too fat (front to back). You would need to use the IceLink cable instead of the dock.