Installing Bluetooth Car Kit in TSX - Philly region installation recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2005, 11:16 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The razr does have full BT, just like the V600 (which i have). It's only the v710, which is currently only carried by Verizon, has the broken BT functionality.
Old 04-30-2005, 05:57 PM
9th Gear

Hi Jon,

I went with the Parrot for my 2005 Ody and the display matches that dash pretty well. I must admit the Tellphone and Nokia pics posted here have me drooling.

Only problem with the Parrot is that if you have 2 phones paired and both are in the car at the same time, me and the wife, the darn thing deletes one of the connections. Annoying as crap since I then have to repair and resynch my contacts one at a time.

Voice tags work well except you have to record them with the engine running.

The factory bluetooth in my 2005 MDX is basic, but I tell you, it does the job. The only annoying thing is that you have to confirm every phone command. But I am happy with it. No caller id though
Old 04-30-2005, 06:29 PM
honk not beep

hey sloco, did you tap into your car speakers? Cuz i called Parrot a couple of times and I think I figured out how to do it, I can post the wiring desriptions later and possibly the install if anyone is interested.
Old 04-30-2005, 08:20 PM
CEO of IMHO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey guys,

How well do people hear you when using the Parrot and Nokia car kits? How would they describe it if you asked?

I've been hanging in there with the MOTO IHF1000 in my TSX. I'm totally sold on the voice-activation and voice-driven UI, and I love the fact that I don't *need* a caller ID because that's all voice driven as well.

The only outstanding issue in my mind is the quality of my voice to people on the other end. It seems that MOTO does some heavy processing of the mic input to try to remove all road noise from the call. This, I admit, is a cool idea. I think the artifacts of this noise reduction (NR) is that somtimes my voice ends up sounding metallic or "low quality MP3" if you know what I mean. I think the quality of my voice is inversely proportional to how much road noise there is to block out.

So, while I don't think they've nailed this approach yet (I am still not happy with the quality of my voice outgoing), I am impressed with their approach.

I guess the real question is: what should I (or others) expect from a car kit? I don't know why I was expecting perfection (ie., just like using the phone), but I was.

I am still using the shipped speaker and have not tapped the TSX speakers yet for a few reasons:

1. They'll charge me to do it (probably $50)
2. I'm concerned that I'll provide an avenue for interference into the speaker leads
3. I'm concerned that w/o hooking up the tweets as well, the sound quality will not be any better than the MOTO speaker
4. I'm concerned that I'll introduce some feedback due to the relative positioning of the speaks vs the MOTO speaker which is tucked in under the dash.

Jon
Old 04-30-2005, 08:26 PM
honk not beep

hey jon, im actually going to be tapping into the speakers so i'll call you to test the quality when im done
Old 04-30-2005, 09:02 PM
9th Gear

my installer hooked up the parrot to the ody touring radio. it was a complicated install and i don't know the details. i think he actually had to cut into the wires leading to the speakers to get it to mute properly.

i speak to my wife in the car all the time and it sounds good to me, even though we are both using bluetooth in both of our cars.

best feature of the parrot is that using bluetooth you can transfer your contacts from your phone to the parrot. if your contact has all 3 numbers for one contact it will transfer the contact with the same 3 numbers. for some phone models, the synch is even automatic so all the contacts get synced automatically. so any new contacts are automatically transferred without any action on your part. i don't think any of the pocketpc phones support the autosync though. neither my mpx220 or audiovox 5600 supported the autosynch.

parrot also makes a model that supports a sim card. so if you wanted to, you could pay an additional 10 bucks a month for another sim card and have a dedicated phone in the car. not sure how practical, but it's neat nonetheless.
Old 05-17-2005, 03:38 PM
Instructor

Was anyone ever able to get any of the kits to work with the tsx speakers without a problem?
Old 07-14-2005, 01:00 AM
7th Gear

Is this thread dead? I just bought a new '05 TSX and I'm thinking about installing the Moto bluetooth unit. I was wondering too if anyone got it to work with the TSX factory speakers.

My car has enough speakers I don't want to add any more...
Old 07-14-2005, 04:18 AM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I never tried to get my Parrot to work with the car speakers (I have an upgraded sysem).

I'm sure I can get the Parrot to work with an OEM system with the car speakers.

BTW, I heard that Fry's was selling the CK3100 for $80??
Old 07-14-2005, 08:52 AM
CEO of IMHO

I never tried to integrate with the speakers, but it really shouldn't be a problem. The Moto is designed to work with the speakers or its own speaker. So, I hope you try to do the speakers and report back how it works for you.

The shipped speaker with the MOTO unit fits under the dash and you never see it. It's not awesome quality, and sometimes you can't hear people at high speeds, but otherwise it's good.

I am curious where you decide to mount the mic. I have it up near the rear-view mirror for asthetic reasons, and I'm still not convinced that the best place for it, since people complain here and there about me sounding "small" and "far away."

To this day, I'm still looking for a solution to this problem.

Jon
Old 07-14-2005, 07:10 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When I went in and rewired my N1/N2, I also ended up rewiring my bluetooth car kit. Before I changed everything. I had my speaker in the NOT AN ASHTRAY and my mic on the steering column. This was decent, but I had trouble hearing people on the freeway and people said that there was a lot of background noise when I was talking to them.

I ended up moving the speaker and microphone. I put the speaker in the Sunglass holder facing down, above my head and it sounds great up there! It is right above me and very close to my ear. It sounds a lot louder than it did when I had it down low. Then I put the mic on the sun visor. I had a Caselogic CD visor holder and it happenned to have velcro straps. So I just velcroed the mic to one of the straps. Blends in very well and is right in front me, so it should help people hear me. I'm going to test my new setup out for awhile and I'll let you know how well it works. I've already tested the speaker and it sounds way better closer to my ear. If I have good results you might want to consider the same install locations. Either that or maybe Eld will find out what the optimal spots are in the meantime.
Old 09-18-2005, 02:36 PM
CEO of IMHO

Voice Quality Problem RESOLVED for MOTO BLNC IHF1000

Well, this thread is very, very old and crusty... but I think it's important to notify the good folks in AcurazineLand that I can now recommend the Motorola IHF1000 BLNC.

The problem I had for the past 6+ months was that people I was talking to had a very hard time hearing me speak via the car kit. There was much choppiness, drop-outs, and a very raspy/compressed sound that made people not want to talk to me while using the carkit. I heard the people on the other end just fine.

Well... after a chance double-read of the manual today, I found out that the mic has a specific front and rear to it (the wire comes out of the rear - no surprise).

Once I read that, it dawned on me that the mic was installed such that the front was facing the windshield -- not me.

I've since re-installed the mic, reversing the direction of the mic so that it's facing me (well, it's now facing the center of the car, I'm a just bit to the left of the direction of the mic).

In any case, the voice quality issue is completely resolved. Even the most critical person of my car kit's performance (my brother) thinks it's just fine now -- no problems with quality at all. At all driving speeds. Test subjects tell me that they don't even know when I'm going fast or slow -- they hear no road noise.

So..... for all of those 04/05 TSXers who wish they had the 06 with built-in bluetooth, you can dish out about $200 + installation for the Moto BLNC IHF1000 and get a really good looking, good operating bluetooth car kit for your TSX.

Jon

Originally Posted by JonDeutsch
I never tried to integrate with the speakers, but it really shouldn't be a problem. The Moto is designed to work with the speakers or its own speaker. So, I hope you try to do the speakers and report back how it works for you.

The shipped speaker with the MOTO unit fits under the dash and you never see it. It's not awesome quality, and sometimes you can't hear people at high speeds, but otherwise it's good.

I am curious where you decide to mount the mic. I have it up near the rear-view mirror for asthetic reasons, and I'm still not convinced that the best place for it, since people complain here and there about me sounding "small" and "far away."

To this day, I'm still looking for a solution to this problem.

Jon
Old 05-26-2006, 10:53 PM
Advanced

I know this thread has been dead for a long time, but JON can you post your pics again of setup? The old links are dead. If Jons not around, could anyone post some pics. I got an 04 TSX and was thinking of doing this setup.
Old 05-27-2006, 09:12 AM
CEO of IMHO

Hi there. I'm here. I'll try to post some updated photos ASAP. Things are still working well... and it's even possible that the IHF1000 solution is better than the 06 OEM bluetooth setup, due to the advanced functionality of the Moto BT system.
Old 05-27-2006, 05:25 PM
CEO of IMHO

OK, even though I'm on vacation, I felt compelled to take some quick shots of my bluetooth configuration of my 05 TSX.

Uploaded to flikr here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/42565990@N00/

Let me know if you have any questions. Again, the speaker is installed under the footwell for the driver, instead of patching it into the stereo system (didn't want to potentially add RF noise to the stereo by messing with speaker wires)
Old 05-31-2006, 09:35 PM
CEO of IMHO

There's a thread around this in the A&V board for more info...
Old 08-29-2007, 11:09 PM
So, do you like...stuff?

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
not totally related to this thread. but has anyone upgraded a 2004 tsx w/ navi with the HFL bluetooth from the 2006? i am adding the 2006 navi dvd drive to my 2004, and wanna add the bluetooth as well. i have a seller for the 2006 dvd drive and also the HFL hardware. can anyone advise me on the details of this and if anyone has successfully done this? or is it too difficult and not worth it?