Infinity Kappas???

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2004, 01:34 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Infinity Kappas???

hey guys...just a few quick questions about replacement speakers

first....the 99's stock speakers are 5 1/4 front and back, right ?? but they will fit 6 1/2??

second....does anyone know if Inifity Kappas will fit, considering the mounting depths, etc.

third....is bypassing the HU equalizer necessary??

i know there are many threads on this, and i've read most of them, but i can get some kappas for a good price and i know they are great speakers

any help would be appreciated...thanks guys
Old 03-15-2004, 03:05 PM
Smitty's Moral Police

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the 60.5cs kappas, and the depth is fine. I did have to make the hole bigger, which was relatively easy (Screw on the frame from the speakers and cut the hole to match) and definately worth it for the increased speaker size. Infinity doesn't have weak highs like the paper bose speakers, so you definately want to bypass the EQ. (As a bandaid until you completely replacement of the factory headunit, if you really want quality)
Old 03-15-2004, 04:26 PM
Intermediate

sweet....how much did you pay for your speakers if you don't mind me asking?

what did you cut the hole with, just a knife or box cutter??

i'm fairly new at this and not at all familiar with car audio...i've heard that turning down the treble on our HU will help with the highs.....you don't think that would be enough though??

so is bypassing the EQ relatively easy? i know there's a how-to somewhere on here....thanks for the help
Old 03-15-2004, 04:44 PM
Intermediate

i just realized you have the component speakers....would both the component system AND the regular coaxial kappas work in there??
Old 03-15-2004, 08:54 PM
Smitty's Moral Police

I got them off eBay for something like 160 a pair shipped. The mounting depth for the 60.5cs, 62.5i, and 63.5i are all 52mm.

I mounted the frame to the factory screw holes and used a jigsaw to trim it to fit. You'll be cutting metal so a knife/boxcutter isn't gonna do it..

I elected to skip all that EQ bypass work and just put in a new headunit (And I did it before the kits were available..by like 2 weeks..DOH!). So I can't really tell you how necessary it is, but everything I read while I was considering it made me think I would have to bypass if I didn't get a new headunit.

Metra kit:

My system:

No pics of the install on the door though, sorry.
Old 03-15-2004, 09:23 PM
Intermediate

hey man...thanks for all the info
i really do not wanna mess with the HU, so i guess i'll be bypassing the EQ if i do this

one question though....do you think a pair of 5 1/4 would fit in the preexisting hole in the door??

i'd rather not have to cut metal, as i have no way of doing that readily available

thanks again
Old 03-16-2004, 12:16 PM
Racer

hey lemming i got the same speakers u got in my front doors. Do you feel that theres to much terrbile and not enough voice.
Old 03-17-2004, 12:03 PM
Smitty's Moral Police

I wouldn't want to venture a guess and tell you wrong info, hopefully someone else will chime in .

fastcarz: I love my system, I think my custom EQ setting for rock music actually has +1 treble more than the kenwood "Rock" pre-set. I can say from past experience that the headunit and amplifier make all the difference in the world.
Old 03-18-2004, 01:17 PM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Get Focal speakers...by far the best sounding Ive heard, get them off Ebay for the best price. Cause they are really expensive from the stores.
Old 03-18-2004, 05:36 PM
Intermediate

well, the thing is, i can get kappas for like below wholesale......so, i'll likely come out cheaper with those

i'm just tryin to figure out if 5 1/4 would fit in our preexisting holes with NO cutting involved, and if i can do this without bypassing the EQ
any suggestions?
Old 03-18-2004, 05:43 PM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by superman
well, the thing is, i can get kappas for like below wholesale......so, i'll likely come out cheaper with those

i'm just tryin to figure out if 5 1/4 would fit in our preexisting holes with NO cutting involved, and if i can do this without bypassing the EQ
any suggestions?
Mine are 6.5 inch and it required minimal cutting. No big deal at all. The stock opening is kinda oval shaped, so just had to make it a true circle. You probably wont have to cut for the 5.25 inch Kappas. Not bypassing the EQ will be OK, but it will be real "bright". The stock EQ has a huge gain in the treble to overcome the crappy stock speakers. It does this because they dont have a tweeter, using a real speaker with a tweeter will be real bright. People that have done this have just turned the treble down and it was ok. Talking about the price for the Focals...retail is $530/pair, I paid $220 - pretty amazing price if you ask me for super sound.
Old 03-19-2004, 12:04 AM
Intermediate

hey thanks for the info man....i'm no car audio expert by any means, and i've just been tryin to figure out a good, SIMPLE way to upgrade my system, that would require minimal electronics work

i can get a pair of kappas for around 70 bucks, which i think is a great deal for speakers that retail around 200/300

anyway, if i do anything soon, i'll let the board know how it turns out, thanks again