im soo confused

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2004, 10:32 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
im soo confused

i got a new headunit and the sound is shit. now im tryin to replace all four speaker (2000 TL) and some people are saying its ok to use the stock wiring cuz the stock speakers have built in amps. Then i heard that the speakers are being powered by an amp in the stock headunit. Then i heard the amp powering the stock speakers is in the dash.

so do i rewire?
do i just throw in new speakers?
wtf, some please help, im soo confused
Old 09-07-2004, 07:10 AM
Mobile Elec. Guru

Originally Posted by s5nake5
i got a new headunit and the sound is shit. now im tryin to replace all four speaker (2000 TL) and some people are saying its ok to use the stock wiring cuz the stock speakers have built in amps. Then i heard that the speakers are being powered by an amp in the stock headunit. Then i heard the amp powering the stock speakers is in the dash.

so do i rewire?
do i just throw in new speakers?
wtf, some please help, im soo confused
ok here is the deal. the speakers on the acura tl (99-03) bose system have two amps. the amp that pushes the door speakers happens to be located in the stock headunit, so you would have bypassed it when you changed out the radio. The second amp is in the rear of the car behind the passenger side of the read seat. this amp powers the stock subwoofer. Again it is automatically bypassed when you changed out the radio. As for the speakers still not sounding good, you would be better off replacing them. The stock bose speakers are use a paper based composite cane and are much more likely to blow, dry rot, etc than an aftermarket speaker. As for rewiring them that is a moot point unless you really want to go to all the trouble for something that will not improve a thing. Do a search on here and you ought to be able to find a fairly comprehensive list of what speakers fit in the doors and what you will need to do to install them.
Old 09-07-2004, 08:14 AM
Racer

thanks a lot
Old 09-07-2004, 08:23 AM
Racer

hey scott p,

i put a new head unit in and now the front left speaker doesn't work. i check the wiring and harness, everything seems fine. I tried putting the stock headunit back in and then the front left speaker worked, So i got the aftermarket unit and hooked up the front left speaker wires to a speaker in my house and it worked fine. What could be the problem?
harness?

thanks
Old 09-07-2004, 06:31 PM
Mobile Elec. Guru

could be a harness, it could be a bad crimp within the harness. honestly i would have to just physically see it to tell you for sure.
Old 09-07-2004, 08:54 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by s5nake5
hey scott p,

i put a new head unit in and now the front left speaker doesn't work. i check the wiring and harness, everything seems fine. I tried putting the stock headunit back in and then the front left speaker worked, So i got the aftermarket unit and hooked up the front left speaker wires to a speaker in my house and it worked fine. What could be the problem?
harness?

thanks
does the back left speaker work?...i had the same problem when i installed my headunit but then i realized the balence/fade wasnt centered
Old 09-07-2004, 09:03 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by njtls
does the back left speaker work?...i had the same problem when i installed my headunit but then i realized the balence/fade wasnt centered
hey, the balance/fade is centered. It's only the front left speaker thats not working
Old 09-09-2004, 08:49 PM
My baby's daddy

If the speaker in question works with the stock head unit, you know the wire to the speaker and the speaker are good. Then, if you patch the left/front speaker leads from your aftermarket head unit to any old speaker and it works, you know it is not the problem. Recheck your connections from the head unit to the harness and if everything is solid, suspect the harness is bad. Get a new one, try it. If it works, return the defective one! good luck