I'm gonna buy a subwoofer soon and.........

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2002, 10:11 AM
Fuct in the hed!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm gonna buy a subwoofer soon and.........

For theose that have it, would 1 12"W3 sound better with the woofer facing toward the back or front of the car. I'm goona get the sub first, and build a box and put a plexi-glass window on the back. If I face the sub toward the back, it would be cool to open the ski hole and have the plexiglass window visible from inside the car.....Any thoughts.......Thankx!!!!!!!
Old 05-10-2002, 10:40 AM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You will get more output from the sub if it faces the back of the car.
Old 05-10-2002, 11:50 AM
Retired. Not available.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by NOLACLS
You will get more output from the sub if it faces the back of the car.
That's what I thought but I couldn't provide any proof when talking to Austin. I think he will jump in and ask you the same thing
Old 05-10-2002, 10:40 PM
Burning Brakes

i know austin will say otherwise but my 15 years of experience tells me that facing the rear always has more bass. uinless you compleatly seal off the trunk and remove the back seats compleatly for a typical trunk install facing the rear is always better
Old 05-11-2002, 01:22 AM
Banned

Bass Mechanic:
How's it goin Kevin glad to see you here posting . I think I do have an explanation for the whole "facing rear effect"...but I'm not sure...it's always a Q I wanted an answer to by someone who knows more than me.

Nicky Pass:
Hmm it's a tough call...and depends on the box. Your best output would be getting a ported box...with the ports up top...and facing the subs to the front. You're looking at a long wave...much longer than the rest of your car, produced by your subs. If you face the rear...the wave will get refracted and reflected, and sent back through the car to you. Now my explanation for the "facing rear effect" is a bandpass one...I believe that your trunk acts as a ported section to the sub, and the sub box acts as more or less a sealed or (in the case of ported) quasi sealed section. If you faced the speakers toward the front...the sound would be dampened out by the seats, instead of using the trunk to act as a bandpass box (albeit very large bandpass). Kevin this sound good to you? So...if you had no rear seat facing front would be the best, and no matter what facing front will be the most accurate (because you don't have sound discoloration from reflecting and refracting)...but if you are going for loudness you will probably get a louder sound facing the rear.

Kevin...I noticed a much louder sound facing front in different vehicles than we have...ones where the sound wouldn't be dampened out by the seats...which is why I had a differing opinion. But thinking about it....it obviously depends on the car. In our case, facing rear would be the best, pushed as far back as possible. But of all cases the best bet would be to port through the rear deck into the cabin. Hope that helps.

Austin519
Old 05-12-2002, 03:14 PM
Turn Signals are good!

it depends on what kind of music you listen to, how you listen to it... and what kind of box the sub needs to sound its best... play around with different positions to see how YOU like it...

I have noticed placing the box at the rear of the trunk, just by the trunk lid, facing forward gives almost the same output as having the back of the box up against the rear seat... but there is much less rattling inside and out (but that also depends on the car too)

Your best bet is to play around, see where you can put it and how it sounds... then when you find where you like it, secure it in place.