Ice-Link + CL with Factory Nav = YES! :::Pics & Instructions:::

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2004, 03:08 PM
Resident DJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ice-Link + CL with Factory Nav = YES! :::Pics & Instructions:::

Hi all,

I just got finished with my Ice-Link install last night. I have a stock 2001 CL-S with the factory Bose Head unit and the Factory navigation system.

It works flawlessly. It sounds freeking awesome too...no hiss or alternator noise or anything but pure, iPod output. And it is so nice being able to skip tracks from the steering wheel. You can also cycle through the iPod's "repeat" modes and toggle on/off shuffly play with the buttons on the Bose head unit. There are other benefits too, like being able to always see what's playing on your Ipod, etc. etc.

As others have mentioned, the Ice-Link is pretty easy to install...once you get to the plug on the back of the head unit. heh.

I gotta give thanks to everyone who posted anwsers to my earlier questions: bug230, ark, Chet03TL-S, and especially SilverKnight for posting the pages from the technical manual in this other thread: http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...threadid=51712

In order to make the process even easier for those without any experience working with cars, I created a 22-page (twenty-two page!) tutorial that has at least two photos per page. It walks the reader through the entire process of disassembling the center console and removing the head unit. Plus it shows one common way to run the Ice-Link wires.

This tutorial might also be useful for anyone who is replacing the factory head unit, adding an equalizer, or just making plans and figuring out what to do...

You can download the PDF photo-tutorial here (1.6MB):

DOWNLOAD THE PDF TUTORIAL I MADE BY CLICKING HERE!!

(Mods, if you think this tutorial is useful, feel free to make use of it, or archive it somewhere else on the forum).

Cheers!

-skyeflye
Old 09-19-2004, 01:33 AM
Pro

skyeflye: Questions for you.

1. Is the cable for the cradle long enough to go from the icelink to the center armrest compartment?

2. The cradle is mounted to the proclip by screws? If I wanted to not use the proclip and mount it in the armrest compartment what would you recommend to secure it?

3. I have a choice between the cradle and the dock cable. Since I was going to hide the thing in the armrest compartment I should probably get the dock instead of the cradle. Would you agree?

Thanks for your Input.
Old 09-19-2004, 02:34 AM
Resident DJ

Originally Posted by Chet03TL-S
skyeflye: Questions for you.

1. Is the cable for the cradle long enough to go from the icelink to the center armrest compartment?
Yes, there should be plenty of length to do that. At least, the length of the cable that is attached to the cradle I have gives plenty of length for that. I would assume that the length of the cable attached to the dock (plug) would have at least the same length available.

2. The cradle is mounted to the proclip by screws? If I wanted to not use the proclip and mount it in the armrest compartment what would you recommend to secure it?
Yes, the Cradle maounts to the ProClip with screws. The Pro-Clip just literally "clips" around the "wood" trim panel. So there is no damage whatsoever to the interior of the car when using the Pro-Clip. That's why I got it. If you got the cradle that I did, you could mount it (with the provided screws) to any flat surface. So perhaps you could just screw it to the inside "wall" of the armrest storage compartment. If you just got the dock without the cradle, then I dunno... Maybe you could rig some kind of homegrown "cradle" by purchasing an aftermarket iPod Case and modding it or something. I would recommend just getting the Dension cradle though. I have the 40 gig iPod (the latest one) and it fits into the cradle like a glove.

I do have to say though that it is REALLY convenient to have the iPod in such easy reach and view all the time though. Some people may not care for the way I set it up for aesthetic reasons, but I could easily change my setup at any time since it doesn't damage the car at all. Putting a couple screw holes inside the armrest storage compartment wouldn't be a big deal either though...you could just use some strong double-sided tape with the Dension cradle though too.

3. I have a choice between the cradle and the dock cable. Since I was going to hide the thing in the armrest compartment I should probably get the dock instead of the cradle. Would you agree?
Actually, I would recommend that you get the Dension cradle, for all the reasons above. Unless you are fine with the iPod "floating" around inside the armrest, or you have a specific mounting solution if your own planned out, then I would just get the dock.

Oh....and I just realized....This whole time I have been referring to the "big" storage compartment, inside the center console. I haven't been talking about the small compartment that is right under your armrest. I do not think that the Dension Cradle would fit inside the smaller compartment. If you meant that you wanted to put the iPod inside the smaller compartment, directly under he armrest, then I think you would need to just get the Dock cable.

Cheers!
Old 09-27-2004, 05:23 AM
Resident DJ

You can get the pro-clip separately. If you're not getting the Ice-Link, then I think you need to get the Pro-Clip and a "holder" of some kind as two separate items.

Get the pro-clip from this page:
http://densionusa.com/merchant/merch...Code=PRC_ACURA

To choose a specific equipment holder, start here:
http://densionusa.com/merchant/merch...ode=PRC_Cradle
Old 09-27-2004, 10:38 PM
Pro

Here is Proclips Website. You can buy it direct.

http://www.proclipusa.com/
Old 09-28-2004, 08:18 AM
Resident DJ

Yes, the Ice-Link works with Acura CL-P and CL-S 2001, 2002, and 2003, with or without the navigation system.

The current thread (that you're reading right now) shows the Ice-Link install in my car with the navi. This other thread shows the Ice-Link installed in bug230's CL without the Navi.

https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-video-electronics-navigation-22/ipod-icelink-install-%2A%2Apics%2A%2A-148474/#post2069409

So, it works in either case.
Old 10-02-2004, 03:14 PM
Resident DJ

Actually, the in-dash CD changer just plays as "CD" the way it always used to. Now that I have the Ice-Link plugged into the Aux port here's how it works:

Let's say I am listening to the radio and I get pissed off because all the radio stations in D.C. suck ass:

If I just press the "CD" button on the head unit once, the head unit will display "CD" and the CD Changer will start playing.

If I press the "CD" button on the head unit a second time, the head unit then displays "CD 1" (instead of just CD), the CD changer stops playing, and the Ice-Link turns the iPod on. If the iPod was playing a song the last time it was turned off, then the same song just starts playing again, right where it left off.

I never have CD's in the CD changer any more. I just use my iPod now instead of CDs. One nice thing about this is that when there are no CDs in the changer, the head unit will just skip directly to "CD 1". So normally, if I am listening to the radio, I only need to press the "CD" button on the head unit once to switch to the Ice-Link.

You are welcome for the instructions! I'm glad they were helpful for you. They were even helpful for me because I just followed the photos i took backwards in order to remember how to put everything back together!
Old 10-08-2004, 12:49 PM
Advanced

The icelink site states that if you have Nav, it won't work Is that wrong? I could see the 03 accords or 04 tl's, but why does it say it doesn't work with 02 TL's?
Old 10-08-2004, 01:17 PM
Resident DJ

It's very confusing at first Orion_21 because the Dension website is incorrect. I can only guess that the website says what it does because the Dension folks simply are not yet aware of the truth of how our particular vehicles are all basically all the same when it comes to the stereo system's head unit.

To be clear...

The particular Dension Ice-Link that I installed will work in Acura CL, CL-S, TL, TL-S model years 2001, 2002, and 2003 whether the car has the factory navigation system or not.

And that is the

For proof that the Dension website is wrong, please see the photos in the first post of this thread. Also, you can download the instrution manual (PDF) by clicking the big hyperlink in the first post of this thread. I have the Dension Ice-Link as well as the factory navigation system in my 2001 CL-S, and it works flawlessly with no ill side effects whatsoever.

Dension also told me that with the latest 40-gig iPod that I would need to use a spacer for it to fit perfectly in the cradle. THIS WAS WRONG TOO, although not nearly as important. The latest 40-Gig iPod is exactly the same thickness as the previous 40-Gig iPod. It may be a tad bit shorter (from top to bottom), but I'm not sure about that. Anyway, the new 40-gig iPod fits in the Dension Ice-Link cradle like a glove...perfectly. I think you DO need to use a supplied spacer if you have the 20-gig iPod. But once the spacer is installed, there's not really any way of telling that it is there.

This reminds me to email Dension right now and give them the link to this thread so that they can correct the misleading information on their website.
Old 10-14-2004, 11:02 PM
Pro

skyeflye: So you have had your setup for almost a month now. Any firmware issues where the icelink acted screwy?

I just ordered mine and patiently waiting.
Old 10-15-2004, 09:45 AM
Resident DJ

Hey Chet. I haven't had any problems whatsoever. It operates flawlessly. I've used it mostly for short, local trips, but I did take it on a 3-hour drive (each way due to crap traffic) to Philly a few weeks ago, and it was great. I can turn it louder than the CD player without distortion. I really like the way it sounds.

I'm really surprised that they still haven't shipped yours out! Bastards! Hope you get it soon!

They never replied to the email I sent them which had a link to this thread. and cleared up their confusion about how this actually DOES work with the Navi-equipped vehicles.

On a totally separate note. I went to see the new 2005 RL at Rosenthal Acura in Gaithersburg, MD last night and it is pretty amazing. The build quality is 90% as tight as the best Lexus. It really seems a lot like a Benz. It's not quite as roomy inside as I would have liked. Pretty incredible car though...but it is kinda expensive....but a relatively good value. I have to go back this weekend to do a test drive so I can see the NavTraffic in action.
Old 10-26-2004, 12:40 AM
1st Gear

icelink install

Nice install Skyeflye, I have a 2003 TL with navigation. I talked with Dension directly and they said to use the R3 kit with the Honda audio harness to what looks like a Soundgate module. I told them about your install and they didn't seem to be in support of it. I like your install alot better. You are sure the R2 will work for my year? I'm about go and get it and just need some reassurrance.
Old 10-26-2004, 03:12 AM
Resident DJ

Thanks for the support, dayL8bucshort.

I am 99.9% sure that it will work fine. I am only 0.1% unsure because I have never seen anyone with a 2003 TL and the IceLink before.

But as far as I know, your car has the exact same Bose head unit and navigation hardware as my car. Therefore, the R2 Dension kit should definitely work for your vehicle...as long as your Bose head unit looks like mine does in the install images. If it was different, it would be VERY obvious. If it looks like you have the same Bose head unit, then it will surely work.

IMO, some people at Dension don't know WTF they are talking about when it comes to Acuras.

Just lemme know if you have any other questions.
Old 11-05-2004, 11:45 AM
Pro

UPDATE: No surprise but the Icelink also works on the TL. My 03TL-S is now iPod power. How sweet it is. skyeflye, Thanks for you DIY write up. I would post picks but it looks just like skyflye's setup.
Old 01-04-2005, 01:16 PM
Intermediate

just a quick note.. I just installed the Neo Ion over the holiday in my 2001 CL-S. Much thanks for the EXCELLENT install instructions... 30 mins in, 30 mins out (I was working quickly and generally know what I'm doing.)

A bunch of guys at work actually got them to do a group buy and knock some cash off... was a great deal.

A few other notes... I was able to run the cable very easily back to the center console.. had a small hole in the bottom tray under the armrest from a hands free car kit (cellphone) install and was able to bring it up into the top armrest area via the little notch in the side. works great (and it's totally hidden.)

The only update to the instructions might be that not all three screws on each side of the head unit need to be taken out in order to remove the unit (a couple are for the bracket itself.) Saved my butt since I couldn't free one of them up (and it still came out.)

Thanks for providing such great instructions!!

-Bonez
Old 03-16-2007, 02:26 PM
I Wanna Beer

Received 107 Likes on 87 Posts
Anyone know a place that I can get the Ice-Link R2 for my '03 CL? I can't seem to find them online anywhere. Is there a better option now?
Old 03-18-2007, 07:54 PM
5th Gear

Try this site: http://www.logjamelectronics.com/ipodacura.html
Old 03-18-2007, 11:09 PM
I Wanna Beer

That site doesn't have the Ice-Link and the ones it lists are for the R3. It says 2003-2007 Acura (and I have a 2003) but the CL isn't on the list. Can anyone confirm the R3 works with the '03 CL?
Old 03-18-2007, 11:24 PM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
When I was looking for the ice link to do some research I couldn't find any info about it on the dension site. And I remember I somehow ended up on the Dice Electronics Site. Don't ask how, because I don't know. But Dice Electronics also offers an IPOD integration kit for the CL.

http://www.diceelectronics.com/products.htm
http://www.diceelectronics.com/ipod_integration.htm
http://www.diceelectronics.com/car_selector.php
Old 03-18-2007, 11:37 PM
I Wanna Beer

Does the Dice iPod integration offer the same features as the Ice-Link? Anyone using the Dice product that can speak from personal experience with it?
Old 08-02-2007, 10:46 AM
Intermediate

Talking

Originally Posted by fuzzy02CLS
Down boy!
The other options are not that much money. You have a nice expensive car. I think one could afford to spend a few bucks on it.
Do the other options work as well as the icelink, like steering controls etc?
Old 08-02-2007, 10:54 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 183 Posts
Yes & no, & the icelink does not work on all CL & TL's. Acura HU's are buggy. Some work some don't & some kinda work.
Old 01-13-2008, 08:18 PM
Advanced

Seriously?

Originally Posted by fuzzy02CLS
Yes & no, & the icelink does not work on all CL & TL's. Acura HU's are buggy. Some work some don't & some kinda work.
I must have the one that it doesn't work in. I just spent 3 hours (don't ask, had a stripped screw that I couldn't get out, broke 3 drill tips trying to remove it, then I just curled the plug into the radio from behind, didn't even need to pull the radio out...grr) so I plug it in, and give it a go...and it starts playing! Sweet, but the IPOD is completely unresponsive. I try changing the track, nothing, can't use the steering wheel control either...no menu's available, no movement of any kind...DAWMN!

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS??? I"M stuck without my car till I get this figured out!
Old 01-27-2008, 09:32 PM
...can't outrun the radio

Originally Posted by Weavz
I must have the one that it doesn't work in. I just spent 3 hours (don't ask, had a stripped screw that I couldn't get out, broke 3 drill tips trying to remove it, then I just curled the plug into the radio from behind, didn't even need to pull the radio out...grr) so I plug it in, and give it a go...and it starts playing! Sweet, but the IPOD is completely unresponsive. I try changing the track, nothing, can't use the steering wheel control either...no menu's available, no movement of any kind...DAWMN!

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS??? I"M stuck without my car till I get this figured out!
Weavz, it sounds like a defective unit. Most of the ipod units I've researched advertise either full HU control, full iPod control or BOTH. If you get NEITHER, I would blame the unit itself. Try removing from the stereo (to reset any electrical connections/clogged memory in the box) and reconnect after a few minutes. If that doesn't work, and based on previous good luck with the ice-link, you may have a defective unit.

After I was unable to find the ice-link, I bought the iSimple by Peripheral Electronics at Best Buy and am having a bit of a hard time myself:

When I turn on the stereo and select CD1, it takes a ridiculously long time (>1min) to recognize the ipod. It seems to be checking through all 6 "discs" in the external unit that it thinks its plugged into(the iSimple). My thought is that since the iSimple is computer controlled, the head unit should recognize it immediately instead of searching for a disc before playing. Also, steering wheel controls do not work immediately--sometimes takes a few minute for that to kick in. Has anyone had similar problems? Does anybody have the iSimple working properly?

Thanks!
Old 03-08-2008, 11:40 PM
1st Gear

Check for the 14-pin connector

I'm just researching this stuff right now, but for what it's worth, I noticed the following over at Logjam Electronics' installation instructions:

Note #1 - Honda/Acura Empty 14-pin connector:
In several model years of Acura and Honda vehicles, three different types of radios were used that from the front, look exactly the same. Many have the unused 14-pin connector at the rear of the radio and also have the in-dash 6-disc CD changer or the single disc CD player. Some have the 14-pin connector at the rear of the radio but it is used by the 6-disc in-dash CD changer. Still others have no 14-pin connector at the rear of the radio, because the in-dash CD changer is connected internally and the 14-pin connector was never installed. This is why we state that your vehicle MUST have an empty 14-pin connector to be compatible.

That might explain why some of these vendors say these adapters don't work with the navigation option. Of course, Logjam might be wrong too. But if you're a cautious type, it might be worth peeking around the back of the radio before ordering one of these adapters.

Last edited by Rarb; 03-08-2008 at 11:44 PM.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:38 AM
Advanced

ICE/DICE/Not Nice!

So after two ICELINK's and two DICE Units, the vendor I bought mine off of says that there is NO compatible unit for the CL Type-S The ICELINK would switch to the changer, and play the Ipod if it was already playing when I plugged it in, but I would not get control from the radio or Ipod. The Dice unit won't even change to the changer. So frustrating that nobody can figure out how to port music into the changer port (I don't even care about radio controls anymore!) I've had my center console tore apart for over a month now waiting for replacements/exchanges to no Avail.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:48 AM
I Wanna Beer

My Ice-Link works every now and then correctly but most of the time it just flashes track 1 on the CD player and will play whatever song was playing on the iPod when I connected it but will not allow me to change tracks. I've given up on it at this point and I'll be likely getting one of the Blitz adaptors at some point here.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:16 PM
7th Gear

Sorry about being repetitive here, but I want to make sure I'm clear on what some of you have done: You've installed a blitzsafe on an oem radio/cd player in the cl-s? I have a 2003 cl-s with the bose unit, with the in-dash six cd player. I was always told the blitzsafe (or comparable unit) would not work on this because it essentially "fools" the head unit into thinking it's connected to a cd changer, instead of an ipod or mp3 player, and because the cd player was incorporated into the unit, there was no connection for this. I also have a 2004 rsx type-s, with what appears to be the same unit as in my cl-s. I took it out to install an aftermarket unit, and there is no female connector for a blitzsafe unit. I know what they look like because I installed one on a passat that I owned. Am I talking about the same thing you guys are? Thanks ... because if I can wire in a blitzsafe, that would save me a ton of money over buying a different stereo unit.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:24 PM
I Wanna Beer

Yes, the Blitzsafe will work with the 2nd gen CL/TLs. It doesn't allow you to control the track forward with the steering wheel or tracks and playlists with the factory stereo but you can control that from the iPod/iPhone itself. Other option is the iSimple (available in this group buy) but it doesn't work with cars equipped with factory navi.
Old 12-12-2009, 06:04 PM
10th Gear

So in anyones opinion, which adapter seems to be the best for a non nav CL that CAN be controlled from the steering wheel. Something that's preferably 100 dollars or less.
Old 12-12-2009, 06:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ricey4you
Something that's preferably 100 dollars or less.

Which ones are under $100? What are your choices?
Old 07-05-2010, 12:41 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 80 Posts
Hey, do you still have that PDF file? The link is dead and I'm interested in doing something like this.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:41 AM
I Wanna Beer

Originally Posted by andrewcjduong
Hey, do you still have that PDF file? The link is dead and I'm interested in doing something like this.
Heres a link for the Ice-Link install PDF.

http://www.ihasaids.com/upload/data/1278458965.pdf
Old 07-11-2010, 12:15 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by TheWeez
Heres a link for the Ice-Link install PDF.

http://www.ihasaids.com/upload/data/1278458965.pdf
Thanks a bunch!
Old 08-04-2010, 02:22 PM
Instructor

does anyone have an updated pdf? link is dead
Old 08-04-2010, 02:23 PM
I Wanna Beer

Originally Posted by 03type_s6speed
does anyone have an updated pdf? link is dead
http://www.filedump.net/dumped/insta...1280949810.pdf
Old 08-04-2010, 02:43 PM
Instructor

awesome
Old 09-15-2010, 12:04 PM
9th Gear

Thanks for the updated PDF link, I was bummed when the first link was dead. I'm going to start on this next week!
Old 09-15-2010, 12:05 PM
I Wanna Beer

What are you going to install?
Old 09-22-2010, 04:53 PM
9th Gear

Was out of a town for a few days and just dropped back into the thread. I was skimming rather quickly the first time through the thread and thought the ICE-LINK would work for me. I have a 03 Type-S CL that has 6-CD changer and Nav unit. It looks like I probably don't have the open 14 pin connector and thus I may have to look for other options.

I was hoping to avoid putting in a new head unit as I think the stock looks better in a lot of cases, and the HU I already have available from my old custom setup was purchased in 07 and pretty dated now. It looks like I may have to do some more research before moving ahead.

Quick Reply: Ice-Link + CL with Factory Nav = YES! :::Pics & Instructions:::