I want to upgrade the stock sound system!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2002 | 10:17 AM
Burning Brakes

I want to upgrade the stock sound system!!

I'm not a huge audiophile, but I do know some things. I wanted to get opinions from you guys as to the best way to accomplish what I want. I want to upgrade the existing sub and add another amp. If I'm not mistake the stock sub is an 8". I want to be able to install a better sub in the existing location. What amps and subs do you recommend and also what would be the best way to accomplish this.

Thanks in advance!!

-Rich
Old 06-13-2002 | 02:04 PM
Burning Brakes

rmarin2 i would suggest doing a search on this subject.... i know it has been discuss a couple time before but here are a couple things i remember reading.... i belive the stock bose sub is 9in and it is only 2in or so deep which means that you can not replace it with to many subs out there..... i know illusionaudio makes a shallow sub as do a couple other manufactures but i dont think that changing the stock sub with an after market sub can be done very easily...... but i can be done an has been done... just do a search.....
Old 06-13-2002 | 02:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

rmarin2,
There are not a lot of free-air subs that can be fit into the stock location. I have sucessfully swapped out the stock sub with an after market sub with some modification. Check out the link below :
http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showth...threadid=37582

Now the aftermarket sub I used is a midbass sub. It will give you better bass compare to the stock but it will not pound your seat or your heart if you know what I mean.

Illusion audio might be able to fit but I was told the company has gone south.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck.

Cheers !!!
Old 06-13-2002 | 02:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

drcookie,

I have been reading and rereading your posts on the matter for the last few weeks and I'm thinking of going the Kicker route that you took. The Illusion speakers seem to have the same frequency response at the low end, but they are more expensive and don't handle the power that rmb8's can take.

Just a couple of questions:

On a scale of 1-10, how would you rate the improvement over the stock sub?

Did you sell the other one or are you going to hang onto it?

How much power are you throwing at the RMB8?

Do you have any "hookups" to get hold of these things?

Thanks,

Iggy
Old 06-13-2002 | 08:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Hey Iggy,
When I did my research, I found that the kicker minbass sub was the most affortable was to go. Besides, I could not get any lot of info on the specification for Illussion Audio and the company was on the way down.

Anyway, it's hard to grade the sound quality since different people have different tastes; but out of 10 points I would give the kicker 7. The kicker will give you louder bass compare to the stock but it will not pound your heart.
In my opinion, it will be equivalent to having the 6X9 oval speakers at the back. If you like heavy bass, I don't recommend taking this route.

I have a 200W RF amplifier driving the sub and with the POLK DX6 speakers installed on the front doors, I usually crank my stereo about half way up and the sub has no problem handling it.

If you decided to take this route, I still have the other Kicker RMB8.

Let me know what you think. My email address is dyclim@telocity.com

Cheers !!!