I need help w/ my system

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2005, 07:55 PM
Got a Job!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb I need help w/ my system

So last night, I made two spontaneous purchases which I'm not sure if I should have. Anyways, I bought a JL 500/1 amp and a JL 12w6v2. Now I'm not upgrading my speakers or anything like that since I can't afford it, plus I really don't think I need to. I like the stock speakers plenty. So I have a few questions.

1) Do I NEED to get an aftermarket HU? I really don't want to part w/ the 6-disc in-dash if I don't have to.

2) What else do I need to buy? I know I need an amp kit, but what kind exactly?

3) The guy I bought the sub from is also selling the box it is in for $50. It is custom made to spec for the sub (or so he says) and it is ported. However, I don't know if I want a sealed or ported box. Don't ported boxes produce more bass, and is a bit sloppy? I prefer tight, crisp bass. Your help is appreciated here.

4) For those of you with systems in 2nd gen CLs, does the trunk rattle all that much? Will I need anything to prevent that? My 1st car ('02 mitsu lancer oz) rattled like a bitch.

5) How much does it usually cost to get a custom enclosure made?

Is there anything else that I need or need to know? I'm sorta clueless when it comes to this shit. Thanks guys!

`John

Last edited by Dem1K; 07-13-2005 at 07:58 PM.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:08 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,434 Likes on 3,038 Posts
I just got rid of my dual 10" bandpass (ported) system because I wasn't keen about the sound, and traded it for a dual sealed enclosure and 2 12's. I do feel that ported boxes sound sloppier and ruin the effect of the sub, but that's only cuz I got sick of listening to the air moving out of the tubes. It is costly to get a custom box if IT IS in fact really spec'd for the sub. So I think if he's selling it cheap that it's worth it. You def need an amp kit, but get a real one, like lightning audio or rockford fosgate. Don't get the walmart kit, I've been through several, and they're not worth it.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:12 PM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dem1K
So last night, I made two spontaneous purchases which I'm not sure if I should have. Anyways, I bought a JL 500/1 amp and a JL 12w6v2.
Congrats! Good gear.

4) For those of you with systems in 2nd gen CLs, does the trunk rattle all that much? Will I need anything to prevent that? My 1st car ('02 mitsu lancer oz) rattled like a bitch.
Most trunks rattle. Sound damping helps, and foam on the back of the license plate. Damping under R deck helps too. I like Cascade VB2 or VMAX.

5) How much does it usually cost to get a custom enclosure made?

Is there anything else that I need or need to know? I'm sorta clueless when it comes to this shit. Thanks guys!

`John
Custom enclosures vary regionally a bit - figure $200 to $400 depending on what you want.

I would REALLY read this:

https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-video-electronics-navigation-22/car-audio-basics-sq-noobs-289959/
Old 07-13-2005, 09:13 PM
VP Electricity

Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL
IYou def need an amp kit, but get a real one, like lightning audio or rockford fosgate. Don't get the walmart kit, I've been through several, and they're not worth it.
All you need is wire... as long as it bends and has the valence electron, what else is he supposed to worry about exactly?
Old 07-13-2005, 11:05 PM
Got a Job!

so...as far as an amp kit...I can get a shitty brand kit on ebay and it will be fine? Also do I need 4ga or 8ga or what?

As for the enclosure, for a basic box that is custom made to the spec of the sub, it will cost around $200-400?? I thought that's how much the custom trunk enclosures cost, that are all fancy. I just need a basic box, nothing fancy.

Also, if you could help me out on question 1 that would be great. Thanks for your replies!

`John
Old 07-13-2005, 11:10 PM
Racer

Be careful with the normal boxes. I had one in my last car. It MUST be held securely or you will destroy your trunk. I had a ported 12". I liked the sound but I really really regret not having a custom box made. It looked like 2 bulls had a duel to the death in my old trunk. I think getting a nice custom box is worth it. Expensive, but worth it.
Old 07-14-2005, 10:59 AM
Got a Job!

bump
Old 07-14-2005, 11:19 AM
VP Electricity

so...as far as an amp kit...I can get a shitty brand kit on ebay and it will be fine? Also do I need 4ga or 8ga or what?

As for the enclosure, for a basic box that is custom made to the spec of the sub, it will cost around $200-400?? I thought that's how much the custom trunk enclosures cost, that are all fancy. I just need a basic box, nothing fancy.

Also, if you could help me out on question 1 that would be great. Thanks for your replies!

`John
Go easy on the bumps, grasshopper.

8GA is fine IMO. That amp does not make more power with higher voltage, so there's not a lot of motivation to use 4Ga IMO. (Some may argue, but the fact remains that you are not shortchanging yourself wqith 8Ga).

When you say the word custom, you are saying that it is custom-made for your car. If you want a "pre-built", then it might be to spec for your woofer, but it's probably not, and it's usually cheaper material and thinner and chipboard rather than MDF, etc.

I just helped a forum member get a wooden box made in Florida for $200.

BTW, why get a high-end woofer and not get a high-end box? The box is just as important as the driver. I can make a $100 10" in a fiberglass box sound as good as a $200 10" woofer in an off-the-shelf pre-built box. I would suggest re-thinking your priorities a bit... of course, if all you want is bass and not sound quality, then don't listen to me at all.
Old 07-14-2005, 06:27 PM
Got a Job!

no no, I think you are misinterpreting what I'm saying...

I don't want a pre-built box, as I know those are shitty. However when I hear/think "custom enclosure", I usually see people that have them custom made for their trunk/car, like the crazy set-ups. That's cool and all, but that's not what I'm looking for. I'm looking for your basic box look, which is portable, and not built into the trunk. However, I want it to be built to spec with the right size inside and all that. Reason being, I'll probably be getting rid of my car within the next year or so, so there's no need in getting an enclosure built around my trunk setup, you see? Does this make any sense? I hope so, haha .

As for the ported/sealed question, I need a little bit more help, and need to know soon. I am picking up the shit from him within the next day or 2, and need to know if I should get the box he is including as well. Here is a pic of it and his description:

Item will be shipped in the original packaging. The custom made subwoofer box is not included but is available for sale. The box was built to exact specifications for the 12W6V2. Please contact me if you are interested.

Again, I hope I made sense. Basically that's what kind of enclosure that I want, just that it's built to spec. And I'm not sure about the ported/slotted ordeal. Thanks!

`John

EDIT: Oh and, can anybody help me out on the HU question?

As for amp kits, is something like this ok?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ory=71529&rd=1

Last edited by Dem1K; 07-14-2005 at 06:31 PM.
Old 07-14-2005, 07:09 PM
VP Electricity

Not sure wwhat happened to my orig reply - i HAD some HU info typed in there before.

You don't NEED a new HU. Your HU has normal single-ended preamp OPs. You just need to put RCA's on them and you can make it work. Eliminate the Bose EQ and the OEM amp and just come right out of the HU and if you're commited you can make it work fine.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:49 PM
Got a Job!

so getting a HU won't dramatically change the way the system will sound? I should be cool w/ the stock one then?
Old 07-14-2005, 09:57 PM
VP Electricity

I'm sure that a really good HU would sound a bit better. But you asked if you needed an aftermarket HU. I'd say no, you don't need one, the one that you have can do plenty well with some hard work and research on it. Since you already own the OEM HU, why don't you spend the $20 on RCAs to do the interface and see how you like it? If it sucks ass, THEN buy an aftermarket HU.

Here's the HU wiring info:
https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-video-electronics-navigation-22/stock-wiring-harness-diagram-260399/

You want the wires that go out to the Bose EQ.
Old 07-14-2005, 10:05 PM
Got a Job!

oh ok, and what would this do?
Old 07-15-2005, 12:00 AM
VP Electricity

Uhhh... what?
Old 07-15-2005, 03:45 AM
Got a Job!

the HU interface thing
Old 07-15-2005, 09:01 AM
VP Electricity

Here are instructions on what to do for a TSX:
https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-video-electronics-navigation-22/instructions-install-shop-preamp-output-300209/

If you apply that to the wires coming out of the HU then you will understand mechanically what you have to do.
Old 07-15-2005, 07:34 PM
Got a Job!

damn why is this shit so confusing to me...all this car audio stuff; I really need to learn it.

Anyways, ok, let's see if I SOMEWHAT understand what you're saying. If I go ahead and just put in an amp/sub ( the ones that I bought ), then all I need to buy is a basic amp wiring kit, and some RCA's, and that's it? Go straight to the installer and he will know what to do?

Again, as for the enclosure, I need to know, since I'm picking up the sub from the guy tomorrow. Do you guys recommend this sub in a sealed enclosure, or a ported enclosure? If I don't go ahead and get the enclosure from this guy, do any of you have recommendations of where to go get one made in the L.A. area? Also, are the amp kits I listed in a few posts above ok?
Old 07-16-2005, 04:30 PM
Got a Job!

so I've been searching for hours on this site to get some info, and how come nobody mentioned a line out converter? And what about RCAs? I have no idea what I need to get before I go to an installer. Also, I'd like to know some info before going to one so I know that I'm not getting screwed. I called about 4 places today and they average around $175-$225 for a sealed enclosure. I'm assuming that sounds about right? One place said it will take about 3-4 hours, while the others said 1-2 days.
Old 07-16-2005, 05:21 PM
I=X - optomos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
so I've been searching for hours on this site to get some info, and how come nobody mentioned a line out converter? And what about RCAs? I have no idea what I need to get before I go to an installer. Also, I'd like to know some info before going to one so I know that I'm not getting screwed. I called about 4 places today and they average around $175-$225 for a sealed enclosure. I'm assuming that sounds about right? One place said it will take about 3-4 hours, while the others said 1-2 days.
Eld already gave you all the info....Its in his last post. Print it out & take it to the installer. As far as an enclosure goes it depends if they are doing a custom build or just a pre built. Some shops are buisier then others.
Old 07-16-2005, 05:52 PM
VP Electricity

They're probably both right... the shop that said longer is probably busier : ) It would take an experienced woodworker about that long to make a box IF he does nothing else and he has a good shop. If he's going back and forth a lot, and helping others, etc., then that's not a reaosn NOT to get your box made there... they're just being straight with you about when they can guarantee it.

As far as finding a good shop... you're in the Greater Los Angeles Area. You have freeway access to more installation shops than in any other metro area in the world.

The reason no one mentioned a line output converter... wait... it's coming to me... YOU DON'T NEED ONE! The output from your HU is already single-ended preamp out, and that's all that LOC's provide you with. Every time an LOC has been inserted on that line in a TSX, noise and distortion have resulted.

Have you read this? https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=289959

Read point 1 and 9 especially for your situation.

Now realize that for each air-pressure vibration, your speaker has to move back and forth. To move, it needs to get an electrical signal that goes from (+) to (-) at the same rate as you want the speaker to move.

To get that electrical signal to push a speaker around, you need an amplifier (radios with no external amp have an internal amp).

The way you get an amp to send a signal big enough to push a speaker around, is to send the amp a little signal which it then AMPLIFIES.

So the little signal, before it gets amplified, is called a "pre-amp" signal. If it has a (+) and a signal ground, it's called single ended.

Aftermarket radios usually have preamp signals that are single ended, and are carried on RCA cables.

Acura uses single ended preamp signals, but without the RCA connectors.

Some OEM systems sometimes use three-wire preamp signals, called "balanced" or "differential".These are the same signals carried on XLR cables such as on the bottom of a microphone. Sometimes an installer thinks that all OEM systems use these, and wants to use an LOC to "change" the signal to single-ended. It already is, so you don't need to do that.
Old 07-16-2005, 05:59 PM
Got a Job!

sounds gravy....thanks for the insight

So, you wouldn't happen to personally know any good shops in this area would you? I only know shitty ones, unfortunately. Good deals on purchasing shit, but the installation work is enough to laugh at. I also asked them how much they charge to install, and it averaged at $75-100, + $150 for cables. Can't I just bought one of those amp kits for like $30 on ebay and some RCA cables for like $30-40 on ebay as well?
Old 07-16-2005, 09:28 PM
VP Electricity

Dude, phone shopping for this stuff is a bad call. You must be getting prices for high end cables. I'll ask about a shop in that area and get back to you.
Old 07-16-2005, 10:05 PM
Got a Job!

thanks man, I'd appreciate that a LOT!
Old 07-18-2005, 04:34 PM
Got a Job!

did you happen to find out about any places in the L.A. area? I received my sub yesterday and I'm getting my amp today or tomorrow. I need to know whether or not I should buy the amp kit and the RCA's on ebay as well, or at a shop. Also, I figured I should start getting the box built ahead of time.

Oh also, should I get that bass knob that JL offers?
Old 07-19-2005, 04:15 AM
Got a Job!

I hate to keep adding stuff in, but I came across this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ory=39776&rd=1

Do you think this box would work? Or is that a pre-made pos?
Old 07-19-2005, 08:43 AM
VP Electricity

I should hear back from my Socal guy today.

You can check box specs on the JL website... I don't know them OTTOMH.
Old 07-19-2005, 11:33 AM
Got a Job!

the JL site says for a JL 12w6v2 in a sealed box should be:

1.25ft^3 -- 18w x 14h x 12.75d

Is this supposed to be an exact figure though?
Old 07-19-2005, 11:51 AM
VP Electricity

That is supposed to be a NET figure - you need to subtract the displacement of the magnet and frame. I'm sure the exact displacement is available on their site too...

But when I go to their site they say that speaker will work well in 0.9 CF to 1.5 CF.

http://www.jlaudio.com/subwoofers/12w6v2.html

Sealed Enclosure Range: 0.90-1.50 cu.ft. (25.0-42.0 liters)

So I'd say you're right in the middle...
Old 07-19-2005, 05:56 PM
Got a Job!

so would that enclosure on ebay work?
Old 07-21-2005, 05:08 PM
Got a Job!

any word?
Old 07-21-2005, 05:40 PM
VP Electricity

What was the internal volume of the ebay enclosure?
Old 07-21-2005, 05:45 PM
Got a Job!

oh the auction for that box is already over...I was wondering if you found out about any reputable shops in the L.A. area that could build/install my shit for me.
Old 07-22-2005, 06:18 PM
8th Gear

I heard that AL & Ed's are reputable and also Precision Sound (on Pico) - that came from the Acura dealership as to reliable places for installs.
Old 07-22-2005, 11:48 PM
Got a Job!

thanks for the input
Old 07-25-2005, 06:13 PM
Got a Job!

does anybody else have any input or recommendations? Or are those the only 2 places?

My amp should be arriving tomorrow, and I already have my sub. All I need left to order is an amp wiring kit and RCAs, right? From what I've read, the amp kits are pretty much all the same, so I can go ahead and get like a $30 kit. As for the RCA's, some people say the're rather important.

I've heard people tell me that Stinger makes good RCAs, so I'll probably go with them. However, there are different types of RCA's, and also, I don't know how many I need and how long I need them to be. A few examples:

Stinger 600w WKH8RS w/ 17ft. Hyper 2 Channel - $48 w/ shipping

As for RCA's alone, there is the Expert Series, Hyper Series, Dream Series, Bullet Series, etc etc...Some are 2 channel, some are 4. I have no idea which ones to get. Lead me the right way, and I shall follow.

Also, I don't know if I mentioned this before, but I know that JL has a bass knob that is compatible with the 500.1. Do you guys suggest I get this as well?

Your advice is greatly appreciated.

`John
Old 07-26-2005, 12:29 AM
Intermediate

Why don't you get the Box from JL. I picked up the W6v2 ProWedge for my TSX. It's pretty compact, nice materials and it sounds great. Most stores that carry JL products can order the box for you, and the sub comes preinstalled. Mine ran for about $550, but I'm sure you can find a decent price out there.
Old 07-28-2005, 05:25 PM
Got a Job!

thanks raoh92...I'll look into the JL boxes as well...

Nobody else out there can help me?
Old 07-28-2005, 07:12 PM
Got a Job!

sorry for another post, but I just received my amp today....if I can get any help today as far as recommendations for places to get the install and box made, and also on the amp wiring kit & RCAs, I'd highly appreciate it.
Old 07-29-2005, 09:30 PM
Got a Job!

bump, please people I need help...I want to order the amp wiring kit/RCAs by today if possible and get this shit installed by next week.
Old 07-30-2005, 11:51 AM
Missing Machismo

dude i have he custom made box for the same setup the box is made per speaker not type of speaker i had mine fabriced to match my old car and am in the process of swiching all to my tl if you can get the spec box for 50$ do it heres pics, this is the manufacture specific box for the 12w6v2
http://img273.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ture1858lh.jpg

Quick Reply: I need help w/ my system