TL: I need help with a new audio system

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 01:14 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need help with a new audio system

hey,
i wanna upgrade my stock audio system. I am looking to spend about $600 on the entire system revamp. New speakers, head unit, everything...

I currently have the stock system, the only mod is a USA Spec iPod adapter.

what's the best I can get for my budget?

I have no brand preferences

I listen to mostly hip hop/rap and pop/rock

I really just want a better, fuller sound from my system...

thanks!!!
Old 10-04-2009, 03:11 AM
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Are you wanting to add a sub to your system? Or just change out the highs/mids/hu? Also, what features are you looking for in your new hu? That'll determine where to look for deals, and how much you can spend on each...
Old 10-04-2009, 04:49 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
You're not going to get a whole lot for that budget. You may want to start out with a 5 channel amp and amp the factory speakers and throw a 10" sub in there. You would be surprised how well the stock speakers will sound with a good amp.

Another option is Infinity components with the stock HU and amp and a dedicated sub amp and sub. I recommend the Infinities with the factory amp because the sensitivity is high. However, they have very bright highs.

A nice budget set of comps are the Image Dynamics CTX65cs. Good midbass, detailed highs without being harsh or too bright. I regularly push quite a bit more power than the RMS rating and have even run them full range and they took it just fine. However, you will lose some volume if you're running them off of the stock amp and they will never perform to their full potential with the stock amp.

There are tons of components out there and a lot of it comes down to personal preference. I've heard some of the $1,000 comps that sounded worse than my $175 IDs and I've heard some that most people hate that I thought sounded good.

However, the best sub setup I've ever experienced is the one I'm running right now by CSW Biggs. Two 12W6s in a bandpass enclosure turned for music, not a one note wonder and ported through the armrest. It took care of the rattles once and for all, no bass in the trunk. It's super tight on rock and country and hits the lows with authority. It amazes everyone at the efficiency. It requires very very little power to get loud. I have people stick their hand in the port and feel the subs when it's turned up. At normal volumes you can barely feel them moving. It almost doesn't make sense how they can make so much sound with so little movement.