I need to build a "perfect" box for my subs

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2002, 10:55 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need to build a "perfect" box for my subs

ok heres the deal: i just got 2 12' JL WO and i'm on a very tight budget so i have to build my own box and i want it to sound the best to my abilities, i also need it to fit my accord coupe, and i need the dimensions and stuff, yes i checked out the JL site but all they have is for "1" 12's but i need a box for "2" 12's, plz help this poor 17 yr old boy out here and also i can't make it very wide thanx
Old 02-03-2002, 07:23 AM
Banned

TLDude:
I was in your situation once I have a box already built with neon speaker rings and a plexiglass panel if you'd be interested. Dark grey carpeted, holds 2 JL 12" subs, and is a tuned bandpass enclosure with 4 ports. I'd let it go for maybe $80 or so, which with the neon isn't a bad deal...considering that building your own, and getting the tools to do so will cost you that much the first time If you would like pictures let me know.

If you're not interested, I'll tell you what you need to do. First, the website specifies the internal volume for the subs. Or a range actually. If you're building your own, and you have never done this before, and you want to conserve space, you want to build a sealed box. The first one I built was a ported box, and wasn't so hard, but ported is a step up in difficulty. Realize that the internal volume is a range...so just be within that range and you're OK. Second, if you have two subs, then you need double the volume, it's that easy. So you're w0's need 1-1.75 cubic feet apiece. So that's 2-3.5 cubic feet for the two. You'll want to stay closer to 2 cubic feet. So go to your trunk, and since you won't be doing any fancy shapes, measure out a rectangular area that's 2 cubic feet. I'd say most likely it'll be 2.25 feet long by .75 foot deep by 1.25 foot high...you will want to make sure to give the sub at least 3-4" of clearance from the magnet inside of the box. You'll also need a little over a foot of height and over 2 feet of length (which is why I gave my specs as they are) because you'll be cutting close to 12" holes in the front panel, and so you need space. I believe the actual hole side is more like 11.5". With all that said, go draw out your blueprints...go buy a sheet of high grade 3/4" Medium Density Fiberboard, and cut your pieces. Draw and cut from the inside of the wood so it won't be seen from the outside. To make your 12" holes in the front panel...use a drill to drill a hole in the middle of the drawn out 12" hole, then use a jigsaw to cut the hole out. Make sure to SAND every edge down and inside the hole. Do the same to make the terminal inputs (hint: round terminal inputs are easier to cut that square). Get some fiberfill to fill the box with (not the whole box, just some of it) and fill the box after you screw it together and then wood glue the inside. Carpet or vinyl the box leaving a 1/8" edge around all of the holes you cut, then lay a bead of silicone around the 12" holes to make it airtight when you press the subs down...wire them from outside, then drop them in and screw them in. Do the same with the terminals. Boom done,

Austin519
Old 02-03-2002, 04:15 PM
Instructor

hey Austin yea show me the pix and if its not too big then i'll consider but it might b a while b4 i cough up the dough, and i'm still thinkin 17.00 for a sealed box + labor or 80.00 and the wait? show me the pix and i might change my mind thanx
Old 02-06-2002, 03:28 AM
Banned

TLDude:
The thread for my box is here:

http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showth...threadid=32548

Austin519