Hype or reality?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2004, 08:51 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hype or reality?

Let the debate begin on this controversially marketed product.

http://www.maxx.com/content.asp?id=29

Personally I think it defies the natural physics of what smaller speakers can achieve, but what do I know.
Old 11-07-2004, 09:25 PM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
The concept of the missing fundamental is fascinating. Did you find that info? This thing basically looks at the freq you've defined, selects the higher harmonics for this freq, then high-passes the signal and removes the fundamental. According to the 17th-century organ players who invented it, playing the higher harmonics "fools" the mind into believing the missing fundamental is there.

So with that operation, it obviously doesn't violate ANY laws of physics. The question becomes one of psychoacoustics - if it really fools us or not.

I am ordering the PPI version of this device already - I already talked to the PPI product manager, a friend whose judgement I trust, and he says it really works. They buy the IC from Waves...
Old 11-07-2004, 09:40 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Given that - then these would be a great addition to either the front door speakers or even the 6x9's in the rear deck right?
They would be able to play with more low end extension (is that the right term)?
Old 11-07-2004, 11:15 PM
VP Electricity

Based on the description, it would be better on the fronts, per their install instructions - but could be tricky to retrofit. It seems they are focused on licensing DSP code to OEM's, not to the aftermarket.
Old 11-08-2004, 12:25 AM
VP Electricity

I think it would create more perceived low-end response, but result in identical measured low-end response.

Extension in that sense usually means how high or low they play. Here, I guess we're looking at how low they seem to play... not sure there's any specifics for that...