how to remove stock deck on a 97 tl

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2001, 09:01 PM

Unhappy how to remove stock deck on a 97 tl

Does any body know how to remove the stock deck on a 97 tl i'm haveing some trouble i ordere the helms service manual but it did not have it in there. if you could help me out that would be great. pleassse helppp

sign
confused (dumb) tl owner
Old 04-24-2001, 09:06 PM
Ex-Mod

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you mean the radio? I've done before. Is pretty easy. Get a flathead screwdriver and put a T-Shirt around the tip and remove the wood trim. Use the T-shirt or a rag so you won't mess up the fake wood. Then there are 4 screws around the radio to remove the black trim. Then it should just slide right out.

------------------

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by 96TL on April 24, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 04-24-2001, 10:46 PM

Thumbs up

Originally posted by 96TL:
Do you mean the radio? I've done before. Is pretty easy. Get a flathead screwdriver and put a T-Shirt around the tip and remove the wood trim. Use the T-shirt or a rag so you won't mess up the fake wood. Then there are 4 screws around the radio to remove the black trim. Then it should just slide right out.

hey thanx a lot man i got it done
Old 04-25-2001, 12:28 AM
Din
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didnt have to do all that on my 96, there are to screws hold the radio in the back, if you get a hold of the tape part and pull a little bit hard, it will pull out. I did this to my old TL and my friends as well, its really easy and doesnt mess up anything. Well at least of me it didnt.
Old 04-25-2001, 12:39 AM
Intermediate

I ordered my radio this morning from crutchfield.com. They dont have a master sheet for our car. This has been nagging me all day. Thanks 96TL! Thank God I found this website. By the way millionbuy.com has a face plate with a neat little storage slot under the radio. I'm not sure if crutchfields face plate has that feature. Anyone know?
Old 04-25-2001, 06:55 PM
Ex-Mod

Originally posted by Mr3.2TL:
I ordered my radio this morning from crutchfield.com. They dont have a master sheet for our car. This has been nagging me all day. Thanks 96TL! Thank God I found this website.
No problem! BTW, I have a aftermarket plug that plugs into the factory plug so you dont have to chop up the wires. I bought it at PC Richards. So you wont need the sheet if you get one of those. I also had the Single DIN Fce Plate, but I didn't like the way it look so now I have a double DIN setup. Good Luck!

------------------
Old 04-26-2001, 09:46 AM
Intermediate

Question

96 TL...UPS should be deliverying the radio today. I'll find out what the face plate will look like today and than decide so I'm holding off ordering the other one I found. Crutchfield includes a wiring harness.I won't know until later on today if the harness included is crappy. Does the harness you bought from PC Richards still allow the front tweeters on the dash to work? The double din kits that I've seen are for 95-97 accords. Is your setup custom? I also wanted to ask you a question about the front bumber lights. I installed them no problems there they look great...in the daytime. At night they arent that impressive. I'm thinking about re-wiring them and changing to brighter bulbs. I want the blinkers to stay on and the corner lights to be blinkers. Has anyone done this? Are there brighter bulbs out there? ...TIA
Old 04-26-2001, 08:47 PM
Ex-Mod

Streeteffectz setup my Double DIN. Here a 2 pics. I need to get some new pics. I'm getting bored of these.

I don't know if the plug lets you use the front tweeters, I think they are hooked up to seperate amps so if you change the radio, you might have to get a new amp and speakers. For the blinkers, I have Polargs in them, they are pretty bright and very white. You can make the parking light flash and the blinker stay on, but you would have to cut the wires and swith them around. Its very easy but I dont know how you feel about cutting wires. I dont think its a big deal and long as you connect them right. Thats up to you.

------------------
Old 04-27-2001, 11:41 PM
Intermediate

Ok I got my radio yesterday. The face plate looks real cheesey so I ordered the one with the storage pocket from www.millionbuy.com. The wiring harness looks good but I might have to splice into it to get the dash speakers to work . A friend of mine suggested I check out NYC Tints on Queens Blvd. in Woodside, as far as the front clears go. He re-wired them and they look hot! He charged me 20 bucks for the wiring and 15 bucks for super bright bulbs for the blinkers. 96 TL your setup looks hot!

------------------
Old 04-28-2001, 04:58 PM
Ex-Mod

Got any pics of the blinkers?
Old 04-28-2001, 11:35 PM
Intermediate

I dont have any pics of the car yet. Its funny though because my car is your cars twin and we are both from Bklyn...lol. The bulbs that were in the light which was originally the blinker is huge and bright enough so I didnt have to replace them. The bulbs in what are now my blinkers (the corner lights) were tiny. Im not sure of the brand. From what I saw the package had a ton of either Japanese or Chinese writing on the package. I recieved my new face plate and the install looks great. The radio I bought is the Sony ES CDX- CA760X. It was cheap only 299. and packed with features. Your T-shirt idea worked great. Not a scratch! Honestly though..I used a dirty sock...lol it worked great also. One question though. I noticed there were two wire plugs in the back of the original radio. The big one I know is for power,acc, etc. Could the small one be for our dash speakers? I also visited Precision installations in Valley Stream(www.precisioninstallations.com) and priced some rims. I was pricing 17's because I really dont want to deal with the rubbing issue. The price was good but with Falken Tires. Are these tires good? I dont want to sacrifice the ride and I dont want to buy replacement tires every 5 seconds due to bubbles from potholes. Thanks again 96TL.

------------------
Old 10-20-2001, 12:13 PM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the helms book u ordered

since u ordered the helms book would u by anychance know if there is a wiring diagram in there for the ECU of the car? if it gives info on what the wires do or if its worth ordering it?