How do you take apart the dash?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2004, 12:13 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do you take apart the dash?

I'm looking to replace the headunit and wanted to see if there were any instructions on taking apart the dash. I saw a link awhile ago but you had to pay to see the instructions. Can someone give me a quick rundown of where all the screws are and what panels I have to take apart? Thanks.
Old 03-03-2004, 05:03 PM
Instructor

there's a good link in acura-cl.com forums in the AV section

it has 2 pics of honda directions on how to remove the console/dash to remove the headunit
Old 03-03-2004, 05:38 PM
Advanced

I'm in the process of replacing my system now. I've got to say, the 2003 TLS is one of the easiest cars to tear apart. If you don't see a screw, just pull straight out. There are as many clips as screws holding things together. The fake wood trim on the center console is the only thing you should realy be careful with. Just open your armrest and use something to pry the end of the trim straight up. Once that first clip lets go, then start pulling straight up with respect to the console. If you hear cracking your not pulling it straight out. As the trim piece curves up you need to pull straight back towards you. Other than this, take the panels on either side of the shifter off. There are a couple of screws near the armrest and one near the dash on both sides and a clip right beside the shifter. Then you'll need to take the driverside fuse panel out and you'll see a screw for the panel under the steering wheel. Then, pull that panel straight out. There are only clips for the skinny panel next to the glovebox. This gives you access to the screws on the sides of the HU. Next, remove the trim piece around your shifter. Just take the little plastic clip just to the right of the reverse slot out. The ring will just pop out after that. Then you'll have to yank the the panel that holds the seat warmer switches to get to the screws that hold the HU frame. Between the switches is a dwell for phone or change etc. You can see the panels outline in the back and bottom of this dwell. This little panel just pulls up. I pryed with a jewelers flat screwdriver. The screws for the HU frame are just behind the dwell. Be patient! The switches will be the worst part of this whole thing. Try to disconect the connector on the bottom of the switches before you try to take the panel all the way out. Pain in the asssss! That pretty much does it. The rest is a no brainer.