How to better soundproof a TL?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 03:32 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How to better soundproof a TL?

Howdy all!

I think I asked about this a while ago in another thread but didn't get much in the way of answers, so I thought to make a thread.

I was wondering what ways are there to modify the 2G TL so that outside noises (ie. wind noise while driving) and inside noises (ie. reducing what you can hear from inside the car when standing outside even with the windows up and everything shut) are reduced.

Does extra insulation have to be installed? Re-do the weather stripping?

Thanks for any help
Old 10-28-2008, 04:22 PM
Lamborghini Aventador FTW

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts
Dynamat extreme over as much of the car as possible
Old 10-28-2008, 04:38 PM
Racer

Hmm, I've heard about dynamat but don't know much about it yet.

I'll try to look into their products more, but do you know of anyone who's actually done it?
Old 10-28-2008, 04:46 PM
T-Swzy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
can you put that stuff anywhere? lift up the carpet and pull down head liner, remove door and even the trunk?
Old 10-28-2008, 04:53 PM
Cruisin'

You can put it anywhere you want but that stuff is very heavy.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:37 PM
spaz

if you don't care much about performance feel free to put that heavy stuff (dynamat, second skin, or my favorite edead) all over your car to have it be as quiet as a brand new rolls.

but most people who like to go fast only buy it for parts of their car near speakers and subs. it kill rattles and improves sound quality drastically.

for a car like the tl, there isn't a whole lot of road noise to begin with so i really don't think you need to deck the entire car in it but of course if you want that luxury ride then go for it.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:41 PM
Racer

Wow... this stuff is that heavy to drastically effect gas mileage? How much does this stuff weigh???
Old 10-28-2008, 05:56 PM
Thass Wassup!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you would like more information on sound deadening, visit Sound Deadener Showdown. This site will pretty much tell you whats the best out there also by showing proven tests. There are tons of other companies out there that have sound deadener material. A pro car audio enthusiast from ROE has used even Peel N Seal, found in hardware stores to dampen the entire car and is quite cheap, and does pretty much the same job. I am going to emphasize that he is a PROFESSIONAL CAR AUDIO ENTHUSIAST, and knows exactly what he is doing. If he's using Peel N Seal and it works, so should you!

Last edited by illmat1k; 10-28-2008 at 05:59 PM.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Not much you can do about wind noise. You can try new seals. Alot of it is from the glass itself. You would have to get thicker glass (and good luck getting that) and using dynamat. You wouldnt have to do the whole car but there are certain areas it makes more of a difference than others.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:16 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by vivftp
Wow... this stuff is that heavy to drastically effect gas mileage? How much does this stuff weigh???
Weighs about .5lbs per sq ft and you would probably need 100 sq ft to do just your trunk. Which would translate into 50lbs added weight just for the trunk. That is assuming you use all 5 sheets they give you for the trunk kit from dynamax of 18"x32" sheets.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:26 PM
03 ABP tls

I moved up from a 99 tl to 03 and I'm pretty sure I'm getting way more wind noise from my drivers side then I ever had on my 99. Weathersealing seems ok, but the windshield is much more pitted. I know the mirrors are different too. So is this just my imagination or anyone else experience this?
Old 10-28-2008, 06:36 PM
Just chillen..

I need to dynamat my trunk.. That shit rattles like crazy.. Remember, the TL is made for sport luxury, NOT a race car. YOU CAN make it into a race car, but thats a different topic. So putting these dynamat would help, and sticking with 16s or 17s.. Good luck!
Old 10-28-2008, 07:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by slavver01
I moved up from a 99 tl to 03 and I'm pretty sure I'm getting way more wind noise from my drivers side then I ever had on my 99. Weathersealing seems ok, but the windshield is much more pitted. I know the mirrors are different too. So is this just my imagination or anyone else experience this?
Mirrors are different to reduce noise and to eliminate bugs and debris from being channeled into the car and hitting you in the head like the shitty design that the 99-01 did
Old 10-28-2008, 08:35 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Mirrors are different to reduce noise and to eliminate bugs and debris from being channeled into the car and hitting you in the head like the shitty design that the 99-01 did
Definitely not amusing going 80 down the highway and catching a bug straight to the forehead lol. Will the 02-03 mirrors fit on a 99?
Old 10-28-2008, 09:14 PM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by FL3.2TL
I need to dynamat my trunk.. That shit rattles like crazy.. Remember, the TL is made for sport luxury, NOT a race car. YOU CAN make it into a race car, but thats a different topic. So putting these dynamat would help, and sticking with 16s or 17s.. Good luck!
Good luck getting rid of it with a spoiler on. I covered the whole trunk top to bottom and then some with about 2-3 layers of edead V1SE and I still cannot get the damn spoiler to stop rattling.

To add to the topic. sound deadeners work wonders inside the cabin. But your most likely going to have to cover the whole car in deadener if you want to cancel out all outside noise to a desirable level. It can also get very pricey.

Last edited by eleventure; 10-28-2008 at 09:18 PM.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:21 PM
Pro

you should check out this guy. Im not sure if you want to get to this level but Im sure that there is no outside noise heard inside his car!
You should check out this guy
http://www.secondskinaudio.com/forum...ead.php?t=1339
Old 10-28-2008, 11:40 PM
02 TLS SSM - Hi Oh Silvr!

Quieter tires also make a huge difference.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:08 AM
T-Swzy

found this on a forum. course it's only a comment on the intarweb but you're free to investigate. he's replying to question about peel n seal

"It's not too bad if you clean the surface really well. I have 2 layers on my doors, but I only installed it in early fall, so I don't know how well it will hold up in the summer. It smells a little when you unwrap it, but once I installed it, I can't smell anything. It works well, and is easy to install. If you're going to do a good portion, ie about 60 sq. ft. or so, I'd recommend second skin damplifier. When and if I do it again, I'm going this route. If you register on caraudioforum.com or caraudio.com, a guy by the name of second skin rep gives a 50% discount to members. Another guy on caraudioforum.com tested a bunch of sound deadeners, and he recommends it as a dynamat extreme alternative. I wouldn't recommend putting P&S on the roof or trunk, because it has a pretty low heat tolerance before it starts to come off. For some alternatives, look at Brown Bread, FatMat or RaamMat."

FITTY PARSENT OFF!!!
Old 10-29-2008, 11:21 AM
Racer

Very good advice, thanks.

This brings up another question though. Are certain products better for certain areas of the car? Like would it be best to put product ABC in the trunk, product XYZ in the doors, and product 123 on the roof?

Also just out of curiousity, are there pre-cut kits of any of these products for ours cars? Or would y'all just suggest buying it and cutting it myself?

Thanks
Old 10-29-2008, 12:16 PM
WIP-Work in Progress

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I also would go with Peel and Seal. I've used it for my trunk for about a year. It does smell like tar at first but the smell has gone away competely.I've had no leakage issues and it definitely helped get the rattle down to nothing. The only thing is that it made my trunk lid pretty heavy. It's really cheap, I haven't thought about using it in the rest of the car, too lazy to do it...
Old 10-29-2008, 04:24 PM
Thass Wassup!

Depends where you live in order to get Peel N Seal. Its hard to find in California because its not a material that is needed to get building permits so its not widely available here in California.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:30 PM
Racer

Now I see some people have mentioned weather conditions affecting certain materials and where they might be installed. Up here in Toronto it can get extremely hot in the summer and extremely cold in the winter. Whatever solution I would go with would have to be able to deal with those wild temperature variances without any issue. Should all of them perform just fine? Or would some not be recommended under those conditions?
Old 11-05-2008, 02:04 AM
Pro

check out http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/. They have a list a sound deadeners that they tested under extreme conditions.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

I noted the biggest change when I switched to a quieter tire.

The additional weight of linners will hurt your city mpg more then highway. Actually highway is less driven off weight and more on speed/hills.
Old 11-06-2008, 01:40 AM
Racer

Yeah, I've already considered the hit on fuel efficiency by dynamatting the whole car, and I can live with it.

I was in Best Buy today and saw they had a kit to line your trunk for about $208.00... damned thing was a lot heavier than I thought it'd be, lol.

Anyways... so right now I'm thinking of dynamatting the entire trunk, the roof, the hood, the doors, the rear license plate and depending on how hard it is, the floors. I know it'd be VERY expensive, but do y'all think I'll get what I'm looking for which is a very quiet car with little to no rattle when blasting a system in the trunk? I know there're other factors which contribute to this like the tires and whatnot, and I will be looking into that too, but as far as products like dynamat and equivelant stuff go and what they do, will it really be worth it?

I've also heard that dymatting the car is great for keeping heat out in the summer... is this true?
Old 11-06-2008, 05:28 AM
Racer

Hmm, ok well after looking into it further, it seems like the dude at Sound Deadener Showdown puts his vote behind Second Skin Damplifier Pro over even Dynamat Xtreme. He rates it as a better product based on heat resistance, adhesive quality and cost, but doesn't seem to have any real data on how it performs as a sound deadener... at least not yet.

So does anyone have experience with Damplifier Pro?
Old 11-06-2008, 08:27 PM
drumminfool

hey i've read people suggesting both edead and dynamat. imho i suggest the edead, its MUCH cheaper (like $1 a sqr foot) and weighs less (unless u do multiple layers= weight is about the same). in terms of coverage, the areas of the car with large flat surfaces are the target ares for sound deadening as they conduct outside sound the most. when estimating the amount of deadening you need keep this in mind as you may want to double or triple the layers in these areas. if you want the best deadening possible with this system i suggest the edead v1se and cover it with the edead v4 teklite.
i did this with a friend in the trunk and interior of his g35 after installing a new stereo system and the sound quality of the speaker increased dramatically, more importantly the cabin lost most of the road noise at cruising speeds
Old 11-06-2008, 08:30 PM
drumminfool

Originally Posted by illmat1k
Depends where you live in order to get Peel N Seal. Its hard to find in California because its not a material that is needed to get building permits so its not widely available here in California.
thats the same problem i have since im in between Los Angeles valley and Orange county ( home in LA and college at UCI) the difference in heat is about 20 degrees in the summer. if u havent checked it out, look at the edead v1se it has high heat tolerant adhesive and my friend's cr has had it for over a year with no adhesive problems
Old 11-07-2008, 11:11 AM
Thass Wassup!

I have a friend that works for Best Buy... Dynamat Extreme Trunk kits for $30. lol
Old 11-08-2008, 06:30 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Not much you can do about wind noise. You can try new seals. Alot of it is from the glass itself. You would have to get thicker glass (and good luck getting that) and using dynamat. You wouldnt have to do the whole car but there are certain areas it makes more of a difference than others.
I've been thinking about this comment some more, and while I wouldn't even know where to begin with thicker windows (or if that's even possible with our cars), what about something like a rockblocker product that goes on the outside of the window? Overall comments I've read about such products are positive and are pretty much invisible, and it would give an added level of protection to your windows. Do ya think such a thing would add enough thickness to help drown out some of the wind noise?
Old 11-08-2008, 06:40 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by illmat1k
I have a friend that works for Best Buy... Dynamat Extreme Trunk kits for $30. lol
Are you sure about that? This is the trunk kit I saw at Best Buy:

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/prodde...est%5Fcookie=1

$208.99 for that.

Maybe you'r thinking of the door kit which is $30.99 on their website?

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/prodde...est%5Fcookie=1

On the other hand, if you're saying you can get that exact trunk kit for only 30 bucks, then... well... PLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PEASE PLEASE hook me up! I'll give you my firstborn, my secondborn... hell take 'em all! I'll even name them all after you!!!!!

... ahem... assuming of course that's what you meant