Hooking up Dealer Installed XM to Head Unit with Blitzsafe

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2004, 09:39 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hooking up Dealer Installed XM to Head Unit with Blitzsafe

Hello,
I recently purchased a 2004 CGP TSX w/ NAV and will have the dealer install the XM radio option. I know this is FM modulated, so I will purchase the Blitzsafe adapter so that I can channel the sound directly to the factory head unit.

I have searched the forums, and have found numerous posts about using XM commander with the Blitzsafe, but I was wondering how to hookup the dealer XM unit to it. Is it the same method?

Also, I would like to use the same power supply and antenna that the dealer will use. Is this possible? I was looking at the instructions for the dealer installed XM unit, and it seems like the power and antenna are all hooked up to the FM modulator. It seems like there is only one connection out of the XM unit.

Thanks.
Old 11-04-2004, 10:23 AM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
The dealer XM is a re-badged Alpine unit originally tooled to be a changer controller. I have it in my CR-V as an Alpine unit. We used an Ai-NET to RCA adapter to get the XM Radio audio (OK, we made one, but same deal).

Don't buy it! (IMO). I would not again, for one reason - the alphanumeric display is way too short for XM labels. I don't know who I'm listening to half the time! Everything gets abbreviated, and it doesn't have to be, 'cause there's a ton of info on XM. Look at the XM Commander display on the XM Radio product page. I also wish I had presets without having to use the remote.

Also, the factory bracket for that controller puts it in a dumb place where it's always visible and you lose the NOT AN ASHTRAY. And the light color doesn't match the rest of the car, and it's damned hard to take apart (I was gonna change the LED's and finally gave up). For all these reasons I would avoid it.

The harness between the FMM and the controller has NO RCA's. Same signal, but no RCA connectors - just wires. You would need to get the pinout on this (available in the electrical manual, I think it may have been posted already) and cut some wires and put RCA ends on them.

This seems to contradict everything you want to do re: no mods. If you're going to have to do mods anyway, just do them to get power and accessory, and use a better system that already HAS RCA's! I certainly would support NOT using those damned fuse taps in the pictures - I hate them and think they are unreliable and look ghetto. Even the "high-end" fuse replacement taps, which work better, still look ghetto. Use the wires in the car for the XM power and have an installer (or you) just connect to those).

BTW, many dealers wouldn't pay an "Acura Certified Mechanic" to add that "factory" XM radio. They'd pay an outside contractor called an expoeditor to do it, or have some PDI guy do it. So some of your possible intent for getting "factory" stuff may not be valid - FYI.
Old 11-04-2004, 11:18 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, I realize it looks like I'm contradicting myself.

The XM display unit only has one cable coming out of it, which I'm assuming is the AI-NET connection you mentioned. Where are the connections for power and the antenna? If I get an RCA adapter for that AI-NET connection, where will the display unit get the power and where is the antenna connection?

It looks like both are in the FM modulator unit, but it looks like I am bypassing it. Am I missing something?
Old 11-04-2004, 12:19 PM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
My system has a controller, an FMM, and an XM tuner box. The antenna and the Power connections go to the tuner box. My Tuner has an Ai-NET connector that goes to the FMM.

According to the install instructions (HandA does not have the XM under TSX, so I went to the Accord 2004 add-on here: http://www.handa-accessories.com/accord/04xm4dr.pdf), you have the same architecture. According to the manual, the controller has one DIN cable, and the Tuner box has a cable to the FMM. The Tuner box gets power, and so does the FMM (according to the wiring diagram in the manual).

I grabbed this audio out of here. The drawing LOOKS like an Ai-NET cable, so you could do the same thing I did.

Honestly, I would buy the XM Radio power harness as a repalcement part, plug it in, and cut the OE plug off of the end and use IT for powering your aftermarket unit. This thing still sucks to live with.