home surround sound help please

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2005, 10:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
home surround sound help please

OK, here is the deal, and please forgive me if I use the wrong jargon.

I have an old AIWA shelf stereo system with 2 speakers currently. I am running my DVD player through the stereo via the RCA input jacks. The stereo speakers I have use standard speaker wire connections as well as an RCA-looking jack. On the back of the stereo are several connectors; a pair for the standard speaker wire (clip in type connectors requiring no special jacks), a pair of recepticals for 4 ohm speakers, and a pair of recepticals for 8 ohm speakers. I plugged the RCA-looking jack from the speakers into the 4 ohm recepticals, and every thing works great.

So I bought a second pair of bookshelf speakers with 8 ohms of impedence. I planned to connect them into the connectors on the back of the stereo labeled 8 ohms speaker output. The problem is that this second pair of speakers does not have the same wiring set-up as the first pair, in that on the back of the new speakers are just two posts, one for positive and one for negative.

I tried disconnecting the existing speakers from the 4 ohm jack on the stereo, and all of the sound that came out was bass, no high notes at all. When I connect the existing speakers to the 8 ohm recepticals, they work great. When I connect the new speakers to the standard speaker wire connectors, I get the same deal as with the existing speakers, all bass (and very muffled at that).

So, my last option is to connect the new speakers to the 8 OHM receptical on the back of the stereo, but I am hesitant to do this as I cannot see how that would do anything for me. I need to crimp on an RCA connector to do this.

can someone set me straight on this? Am I really supposed to connect the new speakers to JUST the 8 ohm receptical, or should there be an additional connection going on here somewhere? I can give model numbers of both the stereo and the new speakers if that would help (?).

thanks in advance
Old 06-15-2005, 01:14 PM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Unfortunately, shelf systems don't follow any sort of design convention, so it's hard for me to tell what that system does. If you can't get an OM from Aiwa service, I would just have to experiement. Sorry I can't be more help.