Help on monitor

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2003, 06:14 PM
retired

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Help on monitor

Hi everybody well it's rare that i post in here but I need some help and advice .I want a Nav system for my car (VW GTI 03 I know I know it's not an Acura ,I can't afford one) .But I am hung up on a few things :
1 Blaupunkt Harmon Kardon Pioneer Alpine ? which one is a good deal and is functionally a good design?
2 should I use a roll out screen/monitor/stereo ? Blaupunkt has a nice DVD/Radio/Monitor that could have a NAV system plugged into it .This would solve a lot of problems .
3 Or should I go with a seperate monitor ? The problem is I have limited space .Who makes a monitor that is very compact in size?
4 Who sells this stuff for a good price ?Seems every online store has "the deal" but I am very wary of online stores .
5 sorry i asked a lot of questions

Jens
Old 11-01-2003, 07:22 PM
-S namyaC-

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much do you want to spend Jens? Also, what do you want out of the system? Obviously navi, but what about: DVD playback, CD playback (in-dash or is a changer fine?), etc.

I would recommend Alpine. As you prob know lol, they make the Navi for many of the OEM navi systems including Acura. There are many ways to configure a system. I can recommend actual items if you lemme know about the above.
Old 11-01-2003, 08:09 PM
retired

Alright Proaudio thank you,

Ok before i get carried away one more feature that I need to know about .PAL and NTSC compatability ,I understand in the states we use NTSC and in Europe they use PAL? is this correct?
Well whichever way I need a system that can do both .

requirements,
Navigation
DVD playback
CD playback
AM/FM
Surround sound such as Dolby 5.1 would be nice but is not a must have item .

I would prefer a system where I can toggle back and forth on the screen between DVD playback and Nav info without having to swap discs ,so a simple change in Inputs get's the desired info on the screen .

I am not interested in MP3 playback or conventional tape casette playback
I would prefer a simpler to operate system .Many aftermarket audio systems are on the verge of overkill with features and button mania.
I prefer simple sleek elegant looking equipment .
As far as cost goes??? I know it will not be inexpensive.But I am trying to be under 2000 dollars.

I can handle the installation (hopefully) as I have been twisting wrenches for more years than I like to remember.

I saw on the Blaupunkt website a new DVD/AM/FM HU with a slide out screen that looked very nice however it is a brand new unit and I have not been able to find a price on it .Nor have I heard of many people using Blaupunkt equipment .One of my coworkers recently purchased and installed a simple Blaupunkt nav system (not a full screen unit instead it just uses a standard faceplate radio with a small display) and he has had good luck with it thus far .It also seemed reasonably priced .From what I can discern from the Blaupunkt website the HU is PAL NTSC compatible and has inputs for other video sources .

Based on what I have seen from Pioneer and Alpine their equipment does not allow both PAL/NTSC but I have not been able to find a final answer on this .Alpine seems very expensive but I know they also supply many OEM installations .I also have seen in a recent trip to Europe what I think was a Harmon Kardon nav in action on my rental car there .Although it was only a standard DIN radio with a small display it was very easy to use .The Harmon Kardon webpage lists a Nav system as well ,but I have never heard of any one using ther equipment .

So sorry if this seems a lot of questions etc. but it is a ton of money I want to make sure I make an informed decision .

Jens
Old 11-01-2003, 10:08 PM
-S namyaC-

Jens,

I'm not sure on the PAL playback. The best option here might be to have a traditional 120v DVD player. Do you want in-dash CD playback, or would a changer be ok? I am familier with Alpine for the most part, so my post will refect that lol. My recommendation is Alpine, as I firmly believe in their products. I'm afraid I do not know how to meet all of your requirements for $2000. I also have never seen Harman/Kardon car audio avaiable in the US, besides OEM in BMW.

My personal choice for this task would be an Alpine IVA-D900 In-dash unit, with the NVE-N852A navigation unit. This would do everything you want, except play back PAL video. The IVA-900 is an in-dash 7" 1.15 mega-pixel screen. It's one of, if not the sharpest screen available in an in-dash player right now. It's got a built in DVD player, built in 5.1 decoder, and of course am/fm. There are a ton of other features, but I'll let you take a look at all that lol. The navi unit just plugs in, an is a seperate source. There is only one prob with all of this, it's going to ring up a bill of about $3500. It is however, a very convenient solution as it can all be mounted in a 2 din space, or you can use 1 din and mount the navi anywhere you want. Changing DVDs or CDs is a breeze b/c the player is in the in-dash unit. The only other thing you would need is actual speakers (and amps if you choose to go that route).

Now, I also have another option. You'll need the same navi unit. Use the CVA-1004 screen, add a regular 120v DVD +inverter (so you can play NTSC and PAL discs), and a CD changer to play CDs. The upside to this system is the fact that with this particular screen, you do not have to have the screen open to use the unit. You can play a CD or listen to the radio using the secondary display on the unit. The downside to this system is that you must use a CD changer for normal CDs, and that you must make space for the DVD player and inverter. This would probably add up to around $2500.

Now, that is just two options that I feel would meet most or all of your needs. I'll let the other chime in on other brands, and I would be happy to look at any other units you are looking at and compare them.
Old 11-02-2003, 05:48 AM
retired

Thank you Proaudio,
I spent way too much time looking at websites but I found one place called WWW.ETRONICS.COM and they list a DVD/CD/NAV Pioneer package at 1999.00 or something thereabouts .Any thoughts on Pioneer equipment ? I have 2 DIN slots to use so I am good there .

We have a installer here who routinely installs Audiovox brand DVD or VCR in carplayers .Thus far they have not had any issues with this equipment ,any thoughts on Audiovox.

I have seen the Alpine gear you list in a few cars and it is certainly good stuff but for that price ?I have two customers one with a full Alpine setup and another with the full Pioneer setup .The screens seem to me ( I am no expert) about the same in quality .

Proaudio are you a retailer? well thank you anyway your opinions are greatly appreciated .I guess if worse comes to worse I may go with Alpine but that price is indeed a heartstopper .

Jens
Old 11-02-2003, 12:15 PM
Sweet as Gold

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would recommend to stick w/ Pioneer or Alpine...only way to go...try this site...pretty damn cheap w/ large selection
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/caraudio/
Good luck...also eclipse sells headunits that are double din that can be used as a monitor for dvd player or Navi...you should check em out.
Old 11-02-2003, 12:18 PM
Fuct in the hed!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the Pioneer AHV 7940DVD.....and I love it.
Old 11-02-2003, 04:02 PM
-S namyaC-

Originally posted by Jens H.
Thank you Proaudio,
I spent way too much time looking at websites but I found one place called WWW.ETRONICS.COM and they list a DVD/CD/NAV Pioneer package at 1999.00 or something thereabouts .Any thoughts on Pioneer equipment ? I have 2 DIN slots to use so I am good there .
Pioneer is good stuff from what I know. I've never heard anyone complain about anything of theirs except the price ($15K plasma hehe). I would just go check one out in person to make sure you like it. That package looks like a good deal. I didn't find any info on Pioneer playing PAL? That might be the only shortcoming of that system, but you sure can't beat the price.

We have a installer here who routinely installs Audiovox brand DVD or VCR in carplayers .Thus far they have not had any issues with this equipment ,any thoughts on Audiovox.
From what I know, Audiovox makes some nice pieces. My buddy that own the car stereo shop sells the Audiovox as an alternative to the $$$ Alpine DVD player. He said that it works just as well, and is $900 cheaper.

I have seen the Alpine gear you list in a few cars and it is certainly good stuff but for that price ?I have two customers one with a full Alpine setup and another with the full Pioneer setup .The screens seem to me ( I am no expert) about the same in quality .

Proaudio are you a retailer? well thank you anyway your opinions are greatly appreciated .I guess if worse comes to worse I may go with Alpine but that price is indeed a heartstopper .

Jens
Alpine is def good stuff, but the price can get ya. The one screen from Alpine I mentioned above is very sharp, and you can tell the difference btwn that one, and another Alpine. Not many of those around tho, as the price can get well over $2000 for it.

I am not a car audio retailer. I have a friend (he is actually the cousin of my best friend) that owns one of the better shops in town here, and I hang out there some. I do know a good deal about car audio myself, but my specialy is home theater (real home theaters lol). I used to be in home theater retail, but that stunk b/c too many people came in wanting cheap this, cheap that. I now only design and install larger scale home theaters. I also design/install professional audio systems for fixed installations. Lemme know if you have anymore questions, always glad to help another helpful person.
Old 11-02-2003, 06:50 PM
retired

Thank you folks as usual the Acura-CL forum impresses yet again .
Ok after taking in the advice (thank you Proaudio) I went on a fact finding mission today .Alpine makes a nice little monitor called a CVA1004 that will fit the bill quite nicely .Circuit City even has a good deal on it .I also checked out the website ANt7701 provided and it is now welded to the memory banks of my PC (thank you ) . It looks like Alpine will get the money in the end .I am waiting for an e-mail from a salesman at Tweeter who said he would be so kind as to get one answer fro me about a particular question I had about the NAV discs themselves .If he comes through I will be a buyer of at least the Alpine side of this equation.

Now as you can imagine not all is well ,seems our friends in the electronic industry have one little ace up their sleeves besides NTSC vs PAL compatabilty .It looks like these f*cks have made it so that the world is divided into 3 zones .We are zone 1 Europe is Zone 2 and Asia is zone 3 .It appears that a DVD sold in zone 1 will not play on equipment bought in zone 2 etc. etc.
Anybody have any insight into this????? Fortuanately DVD players are so cheap to buy I am not upset but maybe somebody can give a clearer answer on this than I got today from stereo people .So PAL NTSC and this zone thing what is it why is it and what does it mean to me .As far as the importance of this stuff to me ................well we will get into it later .

As always thanks guys I really do appreciate the advice and help.

By the way Ant 7701 what dealer do you work for??

Jens
Old 11-02-2003, 08:43 PM
Sweet as Gold

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your semi local neighor...Ralley Acura. Which training center do you go to...I've been to Jersey's like 4 times and windor locks CT only once...maybe we've met and never realized it..hehehe
Old 11-03-2003, 03:36 AM
retired

Hey Ant7701 ,I have gone to that place in south Jersey lot's of times.I guess they are now moved in with the rest of the Honda people at the big building .I have not gone in some time now (thank god I hate that place) .I have seen ralley a few times in my travels but never actually stopped in to take a look .I wouldn't be surrpised if we have met in school it seems that the whole mechanic thing is a small circle anyway .

Jens