Help - I need more help eliminating trunk rattle!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2002, 03:19 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Help - I need more help eliminating trunk rattle!

Hi guys,
I've researched this topic alot and tried a bunch of thing to eliminate rattle after installing my sub. I have a ported box that fires down. This causes rattle under the car but I can live with it because its not as audible as the decklid of the trunk. I've done the following:
-Stuffed foam behind the acura logo
-Dynamatted the decklid and the spare tire compartment
-Adjusted the 2 black twist things to adjust how tight the trunk closes
-Weatherstrip on the lining of the trunk to avoid metal-to-metal contact
-Tried playing with the trunk latch and put some tape on it but most of the rattle still seems to come from there

I don't think dynamatting the entire trunk will help and I was hoping you guys could offer more suggestions that I haven't seen yet. Thanks for your help!

-Matt
Old 07-29-2002, 04:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

Matt,
I noticed that you're from Philly. I have a cousin there too. Anyways, concerning about the trunk rattling, I would first try to locate exactly where the rattling is and will try to solve it from there with padding, securing stuffs etc...
Just turn on the base and let it blast, see which part rattles. If doesn't work, try actually get into the trunk and close the lid and use a flashlight and locate the rattling (use some protection on your ear since the bass in a closed trunk might be too much). You can use the emergency trunk release to get out btw.
I saw that you did a lot of stuffs (above), which is good..but if you are not doing it on the site where the rattle is, all is wasted.
Old 07-29-2002, 04:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i know what you are talking about with the trunk rattling here is what i did.... i noticed that my truck would rattle and everytime i applied pressure around the lock/latch part the rattling would decrease drasticly.... so what i did was go to home depot and buy some rubber coating..... i took out the loop part of the trunk lock and placed it in the rubber coating... i performed this a couple of times and when i had a nice thick coat of rubber over the trunk latch i placed it back in the car and when i turned the radio up i noticed that the rattling was gone..... but like said before you really do need to find the location of the rattle before fixing.... and also like randomwalk101 said getting in the truck with a flash light is a very good way to find the rattle... that is what i did...
Old 07-30-2002, 08:19 AM
Advanced

Thanks for the advice randomwalk and shawhite. Looks like I will be sitting in my trunk poking around for a while,
Shawhite, did putting the rubber coating prevent your trunk from opening at all? I was thinking about something like this but was afraid my trunk wouldn't open.
Old 07-30-2002, 08:36 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
nope mine still opens just fine..... but i guess if you make the coating too thick you trunk maynot close or open but you have a lot of room to play with..... i mean the latch is not a tight fit hint the rattling... it is really all trial and error.... have fun.....
Old 07-30-2002, 10:05 AM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
The source of rattling is most likely.....

The wire that goes to the trunk release....it hits the inside of the metal and rattles like crazy with bass. I would remove the carpeted area of the trunk lid so you can see the lock mechanism and wire I'm talkin about, and simply tie the wire back, or even put a piece of foam weather strip AROUND it so if it does it, it's cushioned and you won't hear it. Most every TL I have done, I did this to eliminate the rattle.