TSX: Help Finding IPod Adapter

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010 | 07:48 AM
'05 TSX CG W/NAV

Help Finding IPod Adapter

Hi all. For the life of me, I can't find a thread I read a while back. It was about adding a direct input to the OEM system for and IPod using the IPod dock connection. It wasn't for the standard P.I.E or Blitzsafe models. It was for one I had never heard of before or since. The offered one for around $150 that integrated completely and allowed control through the Acura OEM / NAV system. They also offered a cable that I am interested in since I am not that interested in controlling it from OEM system. It was a cable that you'd hard wire into the car's electrical system and provided a dock connector on the IPod side and RCA connections on the other side. I have RCA inputs into my system so this is perfect. I want to buy the cable but can't find it anywhere and not coming up with anything with forum or google searches. If someone knows what I am talking about and can point me there, I'd appreciate it.
Old 11-19-2010 | 05:09 PM
Instructor

I have used the Isimple unit. (This is also sold under some other names - Periphal gateway - PXAMG). I bought mine at Best Buy. It cost about $150.

It connects into the radio/CD/satellite system and provides an IPod connector, two RCA connectors, miniature (3.5mm) phone jack connector.

To operate, turn on the radio and choose AM or FM. Press the CD/Aux/XM button and the display will show SAT or IPOD or AUX1 or AUX2 by turning the tuning knob. SAT gets you the XM radio. IPOD gets you the Ipod plugged into the Ipod connector and radio/steering wheel controls can operate the Ipod. AUX1 gets you the Ipod audio with no remote control. AUX2 gets the audio sent in the RCA connectors or miniature phone jack.

The installation is a simple: unplug a connector, plug in Isimple connector and re-plug the car into the Isimple.

I use it on my '05 non-navi stock system. I have been happy with the unit - the sound is as good as the stock TSX audio system.

Last edited by darowa; 11-19-2010 at 05:13 PM.
Old 11-20-2010 | 10:22 AM
'05 TSX CG W/NAV

Thanks!!! That's the site I was looking for. These are the ones I am interested in:

http://isimplesolutions.com/ipod-adapter/OmniWire.asp

http://isimplesolutions.com/ipod-adapter/PolyWire.asp

When I bought the car years ago, I found an article on here that described cutting the XM signal wires and converting them to RCAs. I bought a honda harness (not sure of the model number) that plugged in line with the OEM harness and allowed me to do all cutting/spliciing on the harness so no OEM wires were cut. Basically, I cut the XM signal wires and soldered both sides to RCAs. I also installed a female mini jack in the center console storage bin where the stock one is on 06+ models. That mini plug is wired to RCAs as well. Then I installed a PAC signal switch to switch back and forth between XM and the mini input. I have been using a belkin charger that charges the ipod but also outputs audio from the dock to the mini plug i installed. Has worked great for years but the Belkin device has 2 problems. It won't charge a newer IPhone, and the wire going into the dock connector constantly breaks. I'm on my 5th or 6th one. Anyway, I am not too interested in controlling the IPod/iPhone, but want to get away from the Belkin device.

Anyway, sorry for the long winded response. Appreciate your reply as I could not find that site at all. Thanks again.
Old 11-20-2010 | 10:27 AM
Instructor

Glad to help.
The Ipod charging problem was created by Apple. The first Ipod charged using Firewire voltages but later versions changed to USB voltages. I had the charging problem but obtained a new Isimple-to-Ipod cable and the charging worked again.