help with amp??

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 05:50 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help with amp??

so i recently installed a deck, subs, and amp the other day..
everything was working fine... then when i was on the highway i noticed my subs stopped working..
so i went home and checked it out
thing is my amp is on but the light is not full and nothing is coming out of my subs

so i check all my fuses.. amp fuse directly connected to the battery, and the fuses on the amplifier
everything is fine
so i recheck my power cable which is fine
im guessin it could be my ground... but i rescrewed it again and scraped off the paint

i changed my amps to make sure it wasn't my amp that blew and that one didn't work with my subs either

Im still a noob...
but i have a digital multimeter
so i check my power and it read like 12.2 or something

and i dont know how to check my ground but if it's not my ground, what else could it be

i have a 2001 acura cl coupe and i ran the power to the side by the door which closes on the power cable, could that decrease the flow of power through to the amp??

i tried everythingg... can somebody help
Old 12-07-2006, 08:34 PM
Instructor

check your remote wire goin to the amp. chances are it came out of the back of the head unit
Old 12-08-2006, 09:12 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
12.2 volt sounds a little low. I know nothing of the CL, but my TSX usually reads around 14v, even with underdrive pulleys and an amp installed. If you're experiencing power drops below 12v, you're basically giving your car rolling brownouts You may have to look into a big 3 upgrade to get better conductivity, or perhaps a new battery.

It you are having low voltage scenarios, you've got to hope you didn't break any of your components. I'd be most worried about the amp, not the subs themselves.

edit: I just reread your post... you have a door closing on your power cable??
Disconnect everything NOW and take it to someone who knows what they are doing!
Old 12-08-2006, 10:25 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,477 Likes on 3,070 Posts
Originally Posted by dreamweaver883
check your remote wire goin to the amp. chances are it came out of the back of the head unit
If not that, then you're on a power drain, get a capacitor and check all your connections again. Hopefully you didn't trip a thermal warning or something.

If the cap doesn't work, you may need a new battery, I always put a cap on first to balance the load. But your bat should def be reading at about 14V

ALSO, find a new way to run your power cord, that is a real hazard, and make sure it's not pinched or sliced

Last edited by 97BlackAckCL; 12-08-2006 at 10:27 AM.
Old 12-08-2006, 05:04 PM
Intermediate

thanks for the replies.. for some reason everything just started working again..?
i was trying to run the power wire on the driver side firewall.. but i couldn't get it.. so i just ran it on the side of the driver side door.. thats why its closing on it?? but i protected it so water wouldn't touch it
Old 12-09-2006, 01:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If everything is working again, it sounds like voltage drops. Please, please take your car to someone who knows how to route the wiring correctly, and have them upgrade your battery ground cable while they're at it.
Old 12-09-2006, 07:31 PM
Intermediate

thankss.. well before i take it to somebody.. where would be the best place on a 2001 acura cl coupe to run the power cable..because i was trying for a few hours before i finally just took the door route.. but it is every dangerous doing that just in case water or something gets into it.. soo i would want to change it, just that i couldnt get it through