Upgrade my TSX audio for under $500

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 10:29 AM
Chris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Upgrade my TSX audio for under $500

You have $500 of monopoly money to spend....

Please give me a detailed listing of each speaker (don't just say Alpine 6x9s) and/or amp. I'd like specific model numbers that I can google and know will fit correctly.

Also, do I purchase foam or something to keep vibrations down?

I am not into big boomey bass. I listen to alot of acoustic, rock, classical etc. I like a crisp sound.

Thanks for your help,
Chris
Old 04-30-2007, 10:35 AM
Racer

MB Quart PCE 216 <-- good component set
Alpine PDX 4.100 <--- good amp
Old 04-30-2007, 11:04 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
JL 300/4 amp, I want to own one soon myself. Add whatever speakers sound good to your ears, and you should be easily able to make a nice, tight system for $500ish...

...assuming you DIY!
Old 04-30-2007, 02:43 PM
Chris

What speakers seem to be the favorites of most people here for the Acura cabin? What models should I specifically be trying to listen to before buying?
Old 04-30-2007, 02:45 PM
Racer

MB Quarts
Rainbow
Crystal Sound
Old 04-30-2007, 02:46 PM
Chris

Also, what made you recommend the JL amplifier? If you didn't want to spend that much on an amplifier what would be your cheaper recommendation and how much of a compromise would it be?
Old 04-30-2007, 02:47 PM
Chris

Originally Posted by daicacharco
MB Quarts
Rainbow
Crystal Sound

This makes no sense to me?????
Old 04-30-2007, 03:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Those are brands, check them out! I'm using Infinity, but its a little more 'budget' of a speaker. You might want to ask uncald4's opinion here, he sells and installs this stuff for a living.

Also, I recommended the JL for its balanced inputs and solid reputation. mercman seems to be the resident TSX amp guy currently, I'm sure he'll chime in too, hopefully with some other options.
Old 04-30-2007, 03:31 PM
Chris

Is it better to just not install a new amp and go with 8 new speakers? This installation could be pretty costly I'm thinking if I don't do it myself. There's no way I can install an AMP and run cables and stuff like that...the only thing I may be able to do is the easy stuff like installing the rear deck speakers. I think I will have someone install my door speakers for me though cause I'd like them to be vibration free and foamed in the right spots.

I just gotta find a good installer in upstate NY

What happened to Avincar stuff? Is Eldurino not selling it anymore?
Old 04-30-2007, 03:54 PM
'05 TSX CG W/NAV

I am going through something similar on a somewhat similar budget. I have already added a sub and amp, but am looking for mids/highs and a 4 channel amp for them. I have decided to go with JL. Am still trying to find mids/highs I like that arent too damn bright, aren't TOO expensive, and whose tweeters are somewhat attractive if I have to see them. (a lot of people swear by the DLS speakers, and they sound awesome, but I honestly couldn't look at that tweeter in my dash every day). If you like the look though, they are awesome (and maybe a bit expensive for this budget)

JL amps seem to be the way to go for the TSX because of the differential inputs. Mercman does a great job of explaining why, but at the end of the day, lots of people on this site report noise problems with other amps. Because of the differential inputs, this doesn't seem to be an issue with the JL ones.

Power is cheap these days and for other cars, with your budget, I'd recommend something less expensive. But for the TSX, I'd recommend the JL, and saving a few extra $$$ for speakers.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by bullyx2
JL amps seem to be the way to go for the TSX because of the differential inputs. Mercman does a great job of explaining why, but at the end of the day, lots of people on this site report noise problems with other amps. Because of the differential inputs, this doesn't seem to be an issue with the JL ones.
I'm not sure that the pops aren't due to install issues more than the amp itself. Mercman was the first to publicly point out the proper way to wire a shielded RCA for our car, so previous efforts just going off the wiring diagram were likely unshielded.

Still, the JL amps represent a quality product for a decent price. I'm sure there are others that are just as good, I just don't know them.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:28 PM
Just dial 1911

Well, I did the same thing about 3 years ago with my TSX. Polk db650's, Kicker 350W 4 channel amp and a 10" Kicker comp sub installed in a sealed box. Buy an amp install kit and you should be able to get it around $500 if you shop around.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:54 PM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
did you want a sub/amp or just replace the stock speakers?
Old 04-30-2007, 07:14 PM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Here's my budget set up, but I bought everything either used or new from someone who didn't use it:
(2) Dayton RS180-4 - $50
(2) BG Neo3's - $45
(1) Aura RPM 3005 - $90
(1) PPI FRX-456 - $85
(1) PPI DEQ-230 - $100
(1) O audio TC2+ 10" - $90
Total: $460
I also did all the installation myself. so I didn't factor that into the price, and I had all the wiring already. I also used this set up w/ both a headunit (premier P930) and a LOC (davidnavone 4ch -$25). Obviously using the LOC would be the cheaper option. And some of this stuff isn't even available anymore, and if you're new to car audio, i'm not sure if you want to run active or have a 30 band EQ.

if I had to buy brand new....hmm i'd probably go:
CDT CL-61a ($150) or Alpine Type-X components ($200)
maybe i'd try a Mark Antony MK-800.4 ($165)
I'll have to look up more budget amps. I think Aura stopped producing amps, but they were always a great budget amp.
Old 04-30-2007, 07:45 PM
'05 TSX CG W/NAV

elemental designs also makes some great stuff at very affordable prices.

http://www.edesignaudio.com/edv2/index.php
Old 04-30-2007, 10:08 PM
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
When it comes to picking an amp to match the TSX HU you are restricted to amps that have Balanced Differential inputs. At first this might seem like a handicap but in reality it is a godsend for the car environment. It is a true professional/high-end interface and we should be proud to have it (I’m not kidding here).

As for the actual amps the only ones I am aware of that are equipped with Diff inputs are the new Rockfords and the JLs. There could be others but I didn’t find them in my search for an amp.

I went with the JL300/4 and replaced the rear deck with polk 6x9s and the front with Polk components. I’m not running rear doors or a sub. I consider myself to be an audiophile (I think I have to register somewhere for this) and I listen to classic rock, 40’s big band and some jazz. I don’t thump and prefer a sealed enclosure for bass (read as I don’t use a sub for music ever!) The speakers I got because I had gift certificates for Crutchfield so it was like free speakers. I like them but would not have picked them if I had a choice. In other words, there were other speakers I liked better then the polks but Crutchfield didn’t carry them. The bottom line is that the system sounds a million times better then stock so I’m a happy camper (70’s slang).

I paid less then $400 for the amp from an authorized dealer but you could also go with the A4300, it has slightly less power at 12 volts (where it really counts) but is a gazillion times more powerful then the factory set up. By the way, I tested the stock amp tonight and it is a stunning 12 watts RMS/ch.

The important thing is not to skimp and to get speakers that you like.

jeff
Old 05-01-2007, 03:25 AM
Instructor

osamu,
what is your assessment of the Dayton RS180-4's?
i was considering using them for my front doors...

thanks
Old 05-01-2007, 03:32 AM
Advanced

Mercman, your car is leased right? Did you have to do anything to install the amp that is going to be hard to reverse when and if you turn the car in?
Old 05-01-2007, 08:12 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by csj0952
Is it better to just not install a new amp and go with 8 new speakers?
Depends on what you mean by "better". If you only replace the speakers, as opposed to an amp and speakers, it'll be easier, cheaper, etc. Sound quality, you'll get more headroom and so possibly less distortion with an aftermarket amp, but IMO, as long as you don't exceed the limits of the stock amp, it's pretty decent.

I just went with 6 new speakers myself (Avincar). And the sound quality is much improved and seems pretty clean with the stock amp. I can even crank it pretty loud.

I think if you use the stock amp, though, you need efficient speakers that work well with lower power.

This installation could be pretty costly I'm thinking if I don't do it myself. There's no way I can install an AMP and run cables and stuff like that...the only thing I
I've done it with past cars, and it's a hassle. You probably could learn to do it, at least with some help/guidance, but it's quite the project, and also takes up extra space. These days, I'm not too excited about it, especially considering that the stock equipment is not bad.

What happened to Avincar stuff? Is Eldurino not selling it anymore?
The kit for 6 speakers wouldn't leave much left in your budget, but his kit was not intended for an amp anyway, so it would be a good candidate for your choice given your price and goals. Unfortunately, people have been posting that they have not been able to get a hold of him. Maybe try calling Avincar and find out.

There are threads on some of the alternative suggestions.

By the way, I tested the stock amp tonight and it is a stunning 12 watts RMS/ch.
Really? As I recall, Elduderino said it was basically the same design as a typical
high-output" head unit, so he estimated that it was probably 18w/ch RMS, the way most of them are labeled. At any rate, it sounds pretty good for either 12 or 18. It doesn't sound like this:
Old 05-01-2007, 09:04 AM
Chris

besides the MB Quart PCE 216 speaker set? What else will fit without much hassle in our TSX's? I'm looking for something that is an easy installation.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:08 AM
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff_B
Mercman, your car is leased right? Did you have to do anything to install the amp that is going to be hard to reverse when and if you turn the car in?

I did the install so that I can pull everything out when I turn her in.

Basically I did this,
The amp is mounted to a piece of plywood that fits in the opening behind the small fold down seat. The plywood rests in place with some brackets that I made and two small sheet metal screws.

I ran the cable power cable through the existing firewall grommet. Its not as hard as it looks but check out the posts before trying it.

The only holes I drilled were for the new door speaker brackets. I used the plastic Honda Accord mounts to save time but I plan to make some MDF ones when time permits.

Shaved away a little from the dash tweeter holes. This is below the finished portion of the dash and will not prevent the reinstall of the factor tweeters.

I ran new speaker wires to the doors but I had to “tap” the front drivers door harness because there is not access to the driver’s door for a new wire. I used IDC connectors so I didn’t cut any wires.

Lastly, I made a connector to mate with the factory 14 pin connector. I plan to make some available but I won’t sell any until I get permission from the admin folks.

jeff
Old 05-01-2007, 01:11 PM
Advanced

Thanks for the information. I have a leased 07 TSX and definitely want to upgrade the audio system, but not sure what I'm going to do. There's a good chance I might just decide to buy the car, so that's a factor too.

For now I'm going to try running DLS 225 5.25" coaxials up front and Boston Acoustics S95 6x9s in rear using the factory amp, with the rear door speakers disconnected. I'll install it next week probably, so I'm looking forward to hearing how it sounds.

I may decide to add a 4 channel amp in the future, so I'd definitely be interested in one of those connectors if I do.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:48 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
^^ those 225s look like a nice choice for the OEM amp.