Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HDMI help!!!

Sorry Mods I didnt do a search...but someone please help

I will list all the ingredients first

tv w/one hdmi input
ps3 1 hdmi output
cable box w/ 1 hdmi output
dvd/home theater combo no hdmi in (should it have one??)

my dilema...how do I go about setting this up?
I want great picture quality going to the tv from both ps3 and cable box, while sending sound to the audio reciever from both as well.

I thought it was ez to do, but i find myself scratchin my head....i looked for some audio/video forums on google, but I still find most of the guys on acurazine very resourceful so i just wanted to post it up here anyway

how do these hdmi switch boxes work? will that solve what i want to do? will i be giving up sound quality since i dont have an hdmi input for my reciever? Should i upgrade the reciever all together?

Thanks guys in advance
Old 12-27-2008, 12:53 AM
10th Gear

I use a receiver that has an hdmi pass through built in which always me to control my cable and dvd player through hdmi. but be careful because not all pass through hdmi recieves play audio i had to run digital audio cables to my reciever because of it. But i would maybe upgrade it depending on how old it is otherwise that is too many buttons to be switching around for me.
Old 12-27-2008, 01:21 AM
tsx'er

Some cable boxes might actually have component output. WHich is the red, green, and blue input. You can use that also to watch HD through your cable box, hook up optical or regular analog (red and white) to your reciever. I would probably recommend that since your TV has only on HDMI and also you dont have to buy anything extra. Id say hook your ps3 using hdmi to your tv but you will need to hook up sound to your reciever using either an optical cable or just your regular analog cable (red and white).
Old 01-07-2009, 09:39 PM
Instructor

get the hdmi switcher. some of the better ones are remote controlled (psyclone, etc..). run all opticals to the receiver. buy any harmony remote control and program it (very easy at logitech.com). d-u-n
Old 01-08-2009, 10:10 AM
Not Asian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.oppodigital.com/hm31/
Old 01-14-2009, 06:07 PM
Oliver!!!

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

^Much cheaper and HDMI 1.3b certified. I have one and it works flawlessly with my Cable box (Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD) and PS3. Has 2 more ports for future expansion (360, upconverting DVD player, etc.) I can't say enough about Monoprice. They're a top notch company and sell great quality stuff. I recently recabled almost my entire home entertainment center (PS2, PS3, Wii, DVD player, 2 DVD recorders, Cable box, HDMI switch, component video switch, Sony Locationfree TV box, Home Theater Reciever and I think there's more) with cables from them. I recommend the HDMI cables with the net jacket.

You'll need 3 HDMI cables (1 to go from the switch to the TV and 2 for the devices) for video. Then run optical cables from the devices to the receiver and voila! Digital audio to the receiver and digital picture to the TV!
Old 01-14-2009, 06:23 PM
Instructor

1. you could get an hdmi switcher and enable 2 devices hooked up.
2. you can run Component on your cable box; since the best you can run in that application would be 720p/1080i. (Hopefully you are running a short distance).
3. Your HTIB(Home Theater in a Box) with integrated dvd combo; depending on when you purchased it it may or may not have an HDMI...but regardless it would be pointless since your PS3 play blu ray and upconverts standard dvd's. However you want to check to see if you have any fiber optical option on that unit; if so you can run ps3 and maybe your box too. Not all HTIB have optical hence why I said check in regards to the optical jack.

Need anymore help LMK...if i dont check back just shoot me a PM.

James