Has Anyone Replaced Just the Speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2001, 03:41 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has Anyone Replaced Just the Speakers?

With all the talk about the amps, headunits and subs, I was just wondering if anyone out there has replaced just the speakers and what were your results? Are the stock amps too wimpy to drive good speakers to an acceptable level (not ear-bleeding)?

Just curious...not ready to do stereo yet, still working on handling.
Old 08-16-2001, 02:00 AM
Instructor

Do a SEARCH!

If you're not going to change the Blowz amp LEAVE the Blowz speakers in your car.

Now go away, and stop wasting our time!
Old 08-16-2001, 03:02 AM
My other car is a 350Z

Originally posted by technoid:
<STRONG>Do a SEARCH!

If you're not going to change the Blowz amp LEAVE the Blowz speakers in your car.

Now go away, and stop wasting our time! </STRONG>
Sheesh! Quit railing on people in every other post you make and tone down your holier-than-thou attitude.
Old 08-16-2001, 04:01 PM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

[ 08-16-2001: Message edited by: bigman ]
Old 08-17-2001, 01:25 PM
10th Gear

technoid,

You obviously have an attitude problem...dropped on you head too many times as a baby?

I asked a simple question aimed at those who might have done what I was looking for. You obviously have much time to waste to respond in such a rude fashion and I am certainly not wasting your valuable time. If your time was so valuable, why did you take the time to read something that you obviously were not interested in - especially since the topic was clearly stated!

I deal with too many a$$holes like yourself that I don't need to deal with the likes of you on my time.

So do what H4mm3rm4n politely suggests.
Old 08-17-2001, 05:31 PM
Instructor

originally posted by newbie SoCalCLS:

Are the stock amps too wimpy to drive good speakers to an acceptable level (not ear-bleeding)?
Just curious...not ready to do stereo yet, still working on handling.
Without getting into a flame war, when I was a newbie, I wasn't aware of the power of the "search" feature until a couple of posters "mentioned" it. I found a lot of answers to questions that had previouisly come up in a variety of topics. Sorry for pissing you off.

Now, the answer to your first question is yes, the Blowz amp is too "wimpy" to drive good aftermarket speakers to any decent level, forget even ear-bleeding levels.

What you don't seem to understand is that many of us are not talking about SPL (sound pressure level) or getting your ears to "bleed." Rather, it's getting decent fidelity out of the QUALITY upgrade 8-ohm speakers on which you're thinking of spending your hard-earned $$$$. You CAN'T expect the shitty Blowz power amp to make the Boston Acoustics, or any of the other QUALITY speakers sound as good as they are supposed to if you use the Blowz amp with its mismatched impedance -- it's not a question of HOW LOUD, it's how much DISTORTION you're going to get.

I listen to MUSIC not BOOM BOX. Look at my sig, and you can see I'm not an RMS-happy yahoo. You'll need a reasonably powerful, clean, 8-ohm power amp to drive the good 8-ohm upgrade speakers you want to put in your car.

So, since you don't believe me (or the experts at Myer-Emco), go ahead and replace the Blowz speakers and keep your Blowz amp. The speakers won't blow up, they'll just probably sound WORSE than before you made any chages. Then post YOUR impressions.

BTW, SoCalCLS, I feel sorry for you that you have to deal with sooo many a$$$holes in order to make a LIVING. Maybe you should change your line of work?

[ 08-17-2001: Message edited by: technoid ]
Old 08-17-2001, 09:11 PM
10th Gear

technoid -

I, too, am not looking into a flame war. I do know the power of the search feature, but none of the results answered my question. Like I said, I'm not changing out the stereo now, but when I do, I want to be informed so I have been watching this forum to get an idea which way to go.

So, one of the answers I was looking for is that the stock amp is too wimpy. Fine, I'll keep this in mind when I start putting together a system. This is all I was looking for.

I agree that quality of sound is much more important that quantity. Quality of amp aside, if there are no low impedance speakers available to match the 2 ohm impedance of the amp, the sound will of course be shitty unless there is impedance-matching hardware to compensate.

I did not say that I didn't believe you. In fact, my note to you said nothing about the stereo system at all, just the attitude in which you replied to my question.

BTW, I love my job and the people I work with...I get paid well and the work is very satisfying. The jerks that I was referring to are the ones we all deal with in the execution of our daily lives, not necessarily the ones you work with. 'My time' is the time spent on doing the things I enjoy doing...working on cars, surfing the web, etc.

Have a nice day! Sincerely.
Old 08-18-2001, 02:23 AM
Instructor

SoCalCLS,

Cool. I too love the challenge of the "twisties." Enjoy making the suspension mods to your car. There's a ton of useful info in this forum and on the manufacturer's websites as well as AutoCarParts.com (kept in perspective). You're lucky you live in SoCal so you can take advantage of all of the performance and handling tuners and fine speed shops out there. It's not quite the same back here on the East Coast.

Regards,

technoid

[ 08-18-2001: Message edited by: technoid ]