grounding the hu

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2004, 06:00 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
grounding the hu

i need to hook up the ground for my hu, i found this bolt that's grounded behind where the hu sits (its already got a bunch of shit connected to it) but when i try n loosen it, it doesn't budge at all. anyone got any suggestions on how to loosen this bolt, or any other good place i can connect my ground? its 2nd gen tl-s.
Old 10-30-2004, 06:18 PM
Lord Ubber

The best thing to do is find it its own spot with no other wires. I have a 2.5, but i'm sure there's one under there.
Old 10-30-2004, 06:21 PM
Banned

like, find any bolt that's bolted on to metal, and stick it in there?

how do i know its connected to the chassis?
Old 10-30-2004, 10:27 PM
Swift 3 B-A-N-G-E-R

Doesn't the HU, if you are using connectors, already come grounded??? I also have a 2.5 and i didn't have to ground anything on my HU... there is a wire already for that in the plugs... it should be the black wire that runs to your stock HU...
Old 10-31-2004, 12:36 AM
Mobile Elec. Guru

Originally Posted by spooky3ce
Doesn't the HU, if you are using connectors, already come grounded??? I also have a 2.5 and i didn't have to ground anything on my HU... there is a wire already for that in the plugs... it should be the black wire that runs to your stock HU...
actually what he is doing is trying to give the radio a better ground. It is a common misconception that doing so would help to alleaviate alternater whine. Unfortunately this is akin to putting a band aid on a bullet wound. If you have a set up that is so succeptible to picking up egiune noise that the only resort left to try and fix it is to reground the radio, then the problem lies in the equipment not the ground location. Furthermore it is more than likely the bolt in question is where the factory ground location for the radio's harness.
Old 10-31-2004, 01:04 AM
Lord Ubber

I have a Alpine and they recommend a ground bolt rather then the harness ground.

The way to know if the bolt is grounded it to buy a ground tester at WalMart or a auto store(5-10$).
It's nothing complicated. It looks just like a ice pick with a wire and a roach clip attached.

You attach the roach clip to the bolt and then you touch the red (power) wire with the ice pick and
if the light at the end of the pick lights up. It is grounded.
Old 10-31-2004, 02:36 AM
Swift 3 B-A-N-G-E-R

Originally Posted by Scott P
actually what he is doing is trying to give the radio a better ground. It is a common misconception that doing so would help to alleaviate alternater whine. Unfortunately this is akin to putting a band aid on a bullet wound. If you have a set up that is so succeptible to picking up egiune noise that the only resort left to try and fix it is to reground the radio, then the problem lies in the equipment not the ground location. Furthermore it is more than likely the bolt in question is where the factory ground location for the radio's harness.
You sure you are 24??? you sound more like 42... but yeah... i totally agree with what you are saying... if its a last resort to fix the engine whine then yes... i guess you can re-ground your HU... most likely, when there is engine whine in your system its because you are either 1. Ground is in a bad place... 2. Your wires are wired close to the vehicles factory wires... in other words, the cars wires are interfering with your system...

Originally Posted by miltcharlie
I have a Alpine and they recommend a ground bolt rather then the harness ground.

The way to know if the bolt is grounded it to buy a ground tester at WalMart or a auto store(5-10$).
It's nothing complicated. It looks just like a ice pick with a wire and a roach clip attached.

You attach the roach clip to the bolt and then you touch the red (power) wire with the ice pick and
if the light at the end of the pick lights up. It is grounded.
Wouldn't that test for power??? to see if you are getting power out of that wire... but then again... if you are 100% certain that the wire is giving power, it would be a good way to see if you are getting good ground... in other words... testing the power of the wire which test positive should also test positive for good ground... Interesting... you actually made me think there... points...