Got my amp + subwoofer installed...

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2001, 08:58 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got my amp + subwoofer installed...

As promised, here is an update with pictures to follow later. Bare in mind that mine is a CL-S with a smaller trunk....

12" Kicker Solobaric L7 $250 + $50 for box
Phoenix Gold Amp Ti600 (overkill)' 550
Scosche Amp Kit... 50

all prices includes shipping

** Please no comments like: you got screwed... you should have done it yourself... etc The reason I gave the prices is so you guys can get an idea.

Got it custom installed by Cartoys today. They are expensive but decided to let them do it since they would back their work. The guy that did install was also recommended and I saw pictures of his work. Total for the install was $400.00 A big ouch!! But my amp comes with a control knob (mounted by sunroof switch) where I can adjust the bass. Also, there is a on/off switch for the amp which he hid behind the hood pull lever. Hope to psot pictures next week.

Okay. The sound compared to stock is awesome. Definitely a big big improvement from stock. I am happy with it. Was worried if just adding the sub + amp would really make that much of a difference as I have never done anything like this before. Answer is YES!!

For anyone that is thinking about adding a sub + amp and is new at it, here is some hindsight that I have....

I went overkill on my stuff. My sub sits nicely under the Nav disk box. If I had to it differently, I would probably go with 2 10s and a smaller amp to mount on the box. That will save a ton of money on install. Problem with my amp is that it is a big amp and there is not that much space in our trunk to mount. He could not even mount the amp behind the seat (take a look, there is no flat space at all).

With the box, if you have the Nav, find a sub box that fits exactly under the Nav frame. That way, you can slide it around and take it out if need be.
Old 12-15-2001, 01:12 AM
Banned

01SILVERCL-S:
Well...I told you even before you did this that you were taking it up the tail-pipe so I guess there's no need to repeat But congrats on the setup man can't wait to see...I guess I'm just a cheap-arse...

Austin519
Old 12-15-2001, 09:56 AM
Advanced

The problem is the CL-S has nowhere to attached amp to. The side panels are too soft.

Got quotes of $150 and another for $300. The kid that did my install had some really neat install pictures that he had done, so I decided to go with him. Besides, if he had screwed up my car, Cartoys would have taken care of it.

Like I said, go with a box where you can mount the amp on the side. That will save big bucks on install. WIth a set-up like that, you are looking at $65 plus parts.
Old 12-15-2001, 11:12 AM
Banned

01SILVERCL-S:
Yeah, agreed. Just never liked sticking an amp on a box...too ghetto. Tell me they mounted it vertically at least...

Austin519
Old 12-16-2001, 07:41 PM
Advanced

Yes, he did.

Will try to get a picture up end of the week as I do not have a digital that works...

My amp comes with a bass control know that he mounted by the cruise on/off switch and really like that feature. I can adjust bass from CD to CD.