FINALLY! Keeping XM and adding an AUX input!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2004, 11:40 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FINALLY! Keeping XM and adding an AUX input!

I am trying to add an AUX input to my 2004 Honda Accord with navigation. I do not want my TV tuner to be FM modulated any more, and I would also like to add an mp3 player. I was on www.handa-accessories.com and I saw the installation instructions for a cassette, CD, and multimedia player for a 2004 Honda Accord (that's what I have). This cable is basically a 'Y' cable that goes in-between the XM 14-pin cable connector and the back of the headunit. I assume that this would work for the TL and 2005 TSX as well. I think this might work if you want to add an AUX input (RCA inputs). Basically you can then get an adapter from Soundgate or Blitzsafe and plug it into the bus cable 2-port to get a pair of RCA inputs for your stereo. I'm trying to do this for my Accord. Let me know if anyone has tried this. Would this affect the navigation screen or voice prompts?
Old 10-18-2004, 01:20 PM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I can't find this on the HandA website... can you give us some further instructions? Thanks.
Old 10-18-2004, 01:28 PM
Instructor

Elduderino,
If you go on to www.handa-accessories.com, click on the large blue Honda link when the page loads. Thenk click on the Accord when the next page loads. Then click on "2003-2005". Under "Audio/Electronics" (on the next page), click on the black bullet that says "and more". When the page loads up, the first thing that loads should be a trunk-mounted CD changer. Underneath that, click on installation instructions. A PDF file will then pop up, and you can view the instructions that way. The Honda Bus cable 2 port will be one of the required pieces of equipment.
Old 10-18-2004, 01:41 PM
VP Electricity

Thanks, almost got there... hadn't clicked on Install Instructions.

Unless you have a pinout diagram on this cable and the diagram shows it to be a "Y" with regards to audio signal pins, I would NOT assume such. I strongly suspect that power, gnd, and data are all that are "y"d in this connector.

My guess is either that the harness accomodates two seperate audio inputs... or that the middle device has a switcher in it as well. Actually, the latter is my guess, that the latter device decides which should be forwarded to the main HU down the single audio input.

Can't you just use that single input and some multi-input switcher?

See the AS-21 at the bottom of www.pac-audio.com

AS-21 Audio Switcher now Available

The AS-21 switches between two audio sources triggered either by a negative or positive power source. Switch between a VCP or DVD, Playstation or DVD or any other combination. Great for head units that only have one auxiliary audio input. The AS-21 uses an isolation IC chip which prevents ground loops, the cause of alternator whine.
Old 10-18-2004, 02:40 PM
Instructor

The AS-21 audio switcher that you mentioned will not work because I already basically have a "switcher" built into the avelectronic TV tuner. I have two inputs into the TV tuner, and one is already used for my Audiobahn DVD player. I need a direct audio solution for the sound output of my TV tuner, not my DVD player because I can then switch back and forth between two devices if I connect the TV tuner switcher.

I have talked to other people on this board, and they said that they have tried this modification, but the XM radio is a lot less audible.

This is what I understand of the adapters from Soundgate and Blitzsafe: the adapter will plug directly into the back of the headunit (where the XM harness goes). This Blitzsafe or Soundgate adapter will allow you to add an AUX audio input device like an mp3 player, iPod, DVD player (as in my case), or VCR audio. If I did not want the XM radio, my solution would be simple. I would just order on of the above adapters and plug it in to hear my AUX source.

The problem that I'm having, though, is that I would like to keep my XM radio capability. Therefore, I think that this "Y" adapter bus cable 2 port would solve the problem, but I want to make sure before I do anything. Basically, from what I understand, is this: I would have to disconnect the XM radio harness from the vehicle connector. I would then insert one end of the bus cable 2 port adapter into the end of the XM radio harness that I just unplugged, the second end of the bus cable 2 port into the vehicle connector (thereby completing the original circuit I think), and the third end would be free to be plugged into the adapter from Soundgate or Blitzsafe. The Blitzsafe or Soundgate adapter would THEN have a single set of stereo AUX RCA inputs so that I can connect this Blitzsafe or Soundgate adapter to the audio output of my avelectronic TV tuner.

Is this possible? Would anything be affected like sound, navigation voice prompts?
Old 10-18-2004, 03:08 PM
VP Electricity

This seems overcomplicated. Maybe I need to refresh my memory.

Your AV Electronic add-on, and anything currently connected to its AUX inputs, is FM Modulated, right?

And you want to change that.

In the TSX, the MP3 player is on the AUX input, but the XM tuner is FM Modulated. Is the Accord factory XM solution FM-Modulated like the TSX factory XM solution? Never mind... According to the install documents on HandA's site, the XM solution is FM-modulated as well. If you have changed this from factory, please advise.

So you want your AV Electronic to go into your (as yet) unused AUX input.
You also want your new MP3 player to go into it.
And you want your currently FM-modulated XM Tuner to go into it.

Is that right?
Old 10-18-2004, 04:11 PM
Instructor

Close, but no cigar. The XM radio is NOT FM modulated. It goes directly into the back of the head unit. This is my problem. If the XM were FM modulated, then I would not be in this dilema. In my current setup, the DVD player is attached to the avelectronic TV tuner. I would like an mp3 player in the future to also be going into the avelectronic TV tuner. I basically don't want to FM modulate the audio output from the avelectronic TV tuner anymore. This is where the "bus cable 2 port" and the adapter from Blitzsafe comes in. Do you know what I mean now?

This is my current setup:

DVD player--->Avelectronic TV Tuner (with built in FM modulator)--->FM modulator hookup

This is what I want to do:

DVD and mp3 Player->Avelectronic TV tuner->Blitzsafe adapter->Bus cable 2 port->headunit (The XM tuner and receiver are built in, and would be attached to one end of the bus cable 2 port)

This is the only way that I can see this can be done, but I want to make sure that it works.
Old 10-18-2004, 05:49 PM
VP Electricity

So do you have the XM radio listed on HandA for the 2003-up Accord? Or a different one?
Old 10-18-2004, 07:08 PM
Instructor

The XM radio on HandA-accessories.com is an aftermarket XM radio (and FM modulated), while the one that's in my car is from the factory. The one that is in my car is completely integrated with my car. I did noy buy anything, I did not add anything, and I did not modify anything with the XM radio. It came from the factory that way meaning it was there when I bought the car.
Old 10-18-2004, 07:26 PM
VP Electricity

OK, so looks like your XM Radio probably has a switcher inside it. Based on my experience with OE's, that's my bet. The signal is NOT "Y'd, it's daisy-chained through the XM Radio.

So you should be able to follow the pinouts to do the nav-modification, I would think... don't go by colors.
Old 10-19-2004, 08:42 AM
Instructor

What do you mean the signal coming from the XM receiver is daisy-chained? lol, I've never heard that expression before. I'm going to try this modification and see if it works.
Old 10-19-2004, 09:05 AM
VP Electricity

I think you should look at the pins inside the connector in the wiring diagram before proceeding. Good luck!
Old 10-19-2004, 09:31 AM
VP Electricity

DAISY CHAIN - In computer terminology, this refers to connecting one device (historically SCSI, but now USB or FireWire as well) to another device, instead of directly to a computer. In fact, you can daisy chain several SCSI devices to one another, and only one of them needs to be connected to a computer with a SCSI interface for them all to be controlled by it.

http://www.isprank.com/glossary/Daisy+Chain.html
Old 10-19-2004, 10:01 AM
Instructor

Thanks for the definition. I guess you learn something new every day.

In reference to your comment about the XM radio being daisy-chained, it is not. It connects directly to the back of the headunit. If you were referring to the Bus Cable 2 Port and the Blitzsafe adapters, they are not daisy-chained either. The Bus Cable 2 Port just interrupts (or cuts in front of the signal) if there is another device connected to it, like an mp3 player or sound from a DVD player (that's the way I understand it from the installation instructions on www.handa-accessories.com). The Bus Cable 2 Port or Blitzsafe adapter are not connected to the XM receiver or tuner.
Old 10-19-2004, 12:41 PM
VP Electricity

Actually, if you don't know the pinout, you don't know that... but you're right.

In looking at the 2004 Accord diagram (which differs from the 2003 in several respects, FYI) it looks like the input in the OE HU is paralleled to both the OE XM and the OE MP3 player. Apparently since there is also a data bus, they are shutting off the non-involved unit as soon as you request a different unit, so you can't get two units sending signal into the same input at the same time. Kudos to the sales engineer that got that through an OE process : )

I was wrong.

Now, since the diagrams show many differences between a 2003 and a 2004, I am not certain that the SHOND3 will support what you want to do... It might, and it might not. I don't think you would blow anything up... (edited to say I am so certain you won't blow anything up that I'd try it in a heartbeat) but I am NOT certain that the logic which prevents conflicting audio signals would operate. There seems to be a change in both the HW and FW at the 2004 EX-L level. Can't hurt anything to try out.

Also, H, you have a PM.
Old 10-19-2004, 01:53 PM
Instructor

I knew there were some differences in the 2003 EX-L and the 2004 EX-L. I knew that the 2004 version came with XM radio from the factory, and that's why I'm glad I got the 2004 Accord. I appreciate you trying to help me out.

I don't plan on using the SNHOND3 adapter because you have to splice wires with that unit (I've heard), and that may be due to the navigation prompts. The engineers that designed this thing needed another cable in order for the navigation prompts to come through the speaker system and turn down whatever audio source is playing at the time.

I think that the Blitzsafe adapter would work instead of the SNHOND3 adapter, and there would be no wire splicing, at least from what I've heard and seen. One person, I-MOD, apparently has tried this and it worked. Look at post #33 in the following link:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...?t=4529&page=2
Old 10-19-2004, 04:24 PM
VP Electricity

I accidentally posted this in the wrong thrad - should have been here:

I am on the phone with Blitzsafe at the moment... they have not heard of the cable (I am furnishing them with the PN) but according to them the Blitzsafe adapter should totally mimic the changer. They are not sure what the OE makes happen, but believe that whatever the OE changer does, their adaptor will do. They agree that if there is any weird side effect, nothing will blow up.

Before I called they were telling people that to access that port the factory XM had to be disconnected. Now they are looking at my wiring diagrams and the PN of the harness, and I think they are going to buy one and check it out! They have a OE radio on the bench.

The Soundgate adapter was made for them by a firm that Blitzsafe bought... so the boxes according to their tech rep are identical. It's the harnesses that seem to vary... and Blitzsafe's is better, it seems.

Kudos to h-dood for staying with this and researching exhaustively! I wish more people exhibited this level of commitment to figuring something out!
Old 10-19-2004, 04:53 PM
Instructor

Thanks Eldu. I didn't really do anything special. My wife has told me that when I do something, I put my whole body into it 110%. No wonder why she loves me (wink wink)!

Plus, I'm coming up on a trip from DC to Jacksonville, so I need some tunes to listen to. I love the XM radio, but I can't always listen to what I want, when I want. This adapter will eliminate the static with the FM modulator and my DVD/mp3 player.

Thanks for YOUR help!

I got your e-mail by the way. Thanks!
Old 10-21-2004, 05:03 PM
Instructor

Sweeeeeeeeet!

I just received the Honda Bus Cable 2 Port in the mail in only a friggin' day! I did the regular ground shipping two days ago (Tuesday night), and it came today! Well after I got the center console apart, I installed the thing without failure in about 8 minutes (mainly because I couldn't locate the needed cable). I'm just waiting for the Blitzsafe adapter to get to me.

One thing that was mentioned on the "View Installation Instructions" PDF file for the cassette player when you visit www.handa-accessories.com was the fact that it says to "Locate the vehicle connector blue-taped to the vehicle harness on the driver's side of the center console." In my Accord it was actually on the passenger's side, so watch out for that. It was after I got the damn thing in that the PDF also said, "NOTE: On some early VIN vehicles, the connector may be on the passenger's side of the console."

Oh well, I guess I was too excited about getting the damn thing connected.

Also, I did verify that the connector was interrupting the XM radio. After I unplugged the vehicle harness from the vehicle connector, I turned on the car and the XM radio did not even show up as an option. Just the CD player. After I installed the Bus Cable 2 Port, I tried the XM radio again, and it worked. In order to get the CD-C display on my navigation screen, I need to have something installed and hooked up to the other end of the Bus Cable 2 Port. I hope this Blitzsafe adapter comes this weekend so that I can show people how to do this! I hope this works!

So far so good!
Old 10-22-2004, 10:58 AM
98EXL, v2.0.1.33

ah HA! humperdood you are my hero. You got a jump start on my winter project

I have a 04 EX, no nothing in the HU. I am sick and tired of my POS Roady 2. My late Pioneer setup was so much better than the Roady's. SO it got me to thinking....

I wanted to get an 04 HU with the XM built in, and the dual climate controls. Either I was or wasn't going to get the duals to work...I digress

I want to have RCA's on a HU with XM in it, so it looks like you are almost done figuring this out. You are the man!
Old 10-22-2004, 11:57 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 98EXL
ah HA! humperdood you are my hero. You got a jump start on my winter project

I have a 04 EX, no nothing in the HU. I am sick and tired of my POS Roady 2. My late Pioneer setup was so much better than the Roady's. SO it got me to thinking....

I wanted to get an 04 HU with the XM built in, and the dual climate controls. Either I was or wasn't going to get the duals to work...I digress

I want to have RCA's on a HU with XM in it, so it looks like you are almost done figuring this out. You are the man!

I work for my fans!
Old 10-22-2004, 01:17 PM
98EXL, v2.0.1.33

Dude, if you get it to work, I'm going to make you a 'humperdood kicks ass' smiley!

you are in Waldorf, as in Waldorf MD?
Old 10-22-2004, 02:05 PM
Instructor

Yes I am. I see you're in Maryland. What part?
Old 10-22-2004, 02:16 PM
98EXL, v2.0.1.33

Right now I'm sitting in Laruel/Beltsville/Burtonsville area, then going to Rockville area for big car meet tonight, then going back home in Severna Park/Annapolis area. I just put Maryland now, sometimes I'm in Annapolis, somtimes in Baltimore, sometimes in Rockville...you get the point, I'm all over this bitch
Old 10-23-2004, 07:10 PM
Instructor

Well, I'm starting to think that going through Autotoys for my Blitzsafe adapter was a HUGE mistake. They still show my order as "processing" since about three days ago. What the hell is going on? To make it worse, they don't even have a phone number I can call to actually talk with someone! They have not answered any of my e-mails yet. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. I should have paid a little extra money and gone through Logjam.

Still waiting on the Blitzsafe adapter!
Old 10-25-2004, 07:36 AM
2018 TLX A-SPEC

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
This setup works fine. I have had mine setup like this for months now and have had no issues.

D.
Old 10-25-2004, 07:38 AM
2018 TLX A-SPEC

If you have the OEM rear entertainment system I can tell you how to get that setup as well so you can have 2 DVD players like I do so you can watch a movie and the kids can watch their own
Old 10-26-2004, 04:39 PM
Instructor

I should be getting my Blitzasafe adapter tomorrow, so we'll see if this works and plugs into the Bus Cable 2 Port. I hope to have better sound on my DVD player tomorrow!
Old 10-26-2004, 05:42 PM
2018 TLX A-SPEC

Should work like a champ. I just finished the same setup your doing on an Accord and the sound was perfect

D.
Old 10-26-2004, 07:16 PM
Instructor

I-MOD, so you had this done on your TSX. How did you get the sound to come from the source that you choose (do you have to press the CD/SAT radio button twice)? Since I have the factory XM radio, how many times will I have to press the "CD/SAT Radio" button? Do you have the XM radio from the factory? Did you install it just like I described in one of my earlier posts (aka take out the factory XM harness, plug in the Bus Cable 2 Port in between the head unit and XM harness, plug in the Blitzsafe adapter into the other end of the Bus Cable 2 Port, and then plug in RCA cables to the Blitzsafe adapter)?
Old 10-27-2004, 04:26 PM
Instructor

Well I'm extremely disappointed. I received the Blitzsafe adapter, but when I plug it in to the Bus Cable 2 Port, I get excellent sound. But when I take the remote and turn off the avelectronics TV tuner, I don't get XM sound, even though XM is displayed on the little display above the navigation unit. I wanted to toggle between CD, XM radio, and CD-C (my DVD player) by pressing the "CD/SAT Radio" button, but I do not get XM sound. I-MOD, can you get me with this?

Right now, I took out the connection for the factory XM radio in my 2004 Accord with navigation. I know the TSX is NOT using this port because it does not have factory XM radio like the Accord (2004 TSX). I know the 2005 TSX does have factory XM radio. Anyways, I then plugged in the one of the female ends of the Bus Cable 2 Port into the male end of the XM radio harness. I then plugged in the female end of the XM radio harness into the only male end of the Bus Cable 2 Port. I still have a female end of the Bus Cable 2 Port left over. When I got the Blitzsafe adapter, there was both a female and male end. So naturally I plugged in the male end of the Blitzsafe adapter into the leftover female end of the Bus Cable 2 Port, expecting this to work. It did, but just for the DVD player. I did not get XM radio. After I took out the make end of the Blitzsafe adapter, the XM radio worked again. What the hell is going on?
Old 10-27-2004, 06:43 PM
VP Electricity

It sounds like there is some sort of impedance mismatch between the two devices.

Perhaps the Blitzsafe does not "look" like the factory changer from a hardware perspective?

I would look up Blitzsafe on the web and call their tech support people.
Old 10-27-2004, 06:47 PM
Instructor

Well I think I figured out what the problem may be, but I'm not sure. I looked at the Bus Cable 2 Port adapter and factory XM harness cable bus connectors and there are 14, count them 14, wires going into both the male and female ends of the bus connectors. The Blitzsafe adapter, however, has only 10 wires going into the male end of the bus connector, even though the bus connectors all fit (male end of the Blitzsafe adapter into the free female end of the Bus Cable 2 Port). I have the HON/SNY ITI V2 Blitzsafe adapter. How many wires are going into the male end of the Blitzsafe adapter of other versions that people have? Is there a way to modify this?

Another thing that I found out was that when I have the Bus Cable 2 Port installed properly and I take off the Blitzsafe adapter, I get XM audio again. Does Radioshack make a toggle switch with 10-14 inputs so that I can toggle back and forth between the XM radio audio (14 wires) and DVD audio from the Blitzsafe adapter (10 wires)?

On a side note, I played around with the connections a little more, and I am able to see a "CD-C" on the display when I press the "CD/SAT Radio" button 4 times. Here is a breakdown of the sound that I am getting every time that I press the "CD/SAT Radio" button in my 2004 Accord with navigation with the Blitzsafe adapter installed:

Original source: In-dash 6 CD player
Press once: XM 1-1 ch. 0009 (getting DVD player audio)
Press twice: XM 2-1 ch. 0140 (getting DVD player audio)
Press three times: CD-C (getting DVD player audio)

What the heck is making the DVD player audio interrupt the XM radio audio?

Blitzsafe tech support will call me after work to try and figure out the problem. Back to FM modulation...
Old 10-27-2004, 06:51 PM
VP Electricity

They were very cooperative on the phone... a bit, well, coffee-driven, but very nice.

WOrst case, I could use that harness you found and a switcher to physically eliminate the Blitzsafe... but I bet those guys at Blitz will make something like that for you.
Old 10-27-2004, 06:59 PM
Instructor

Eld, sometimes I swear we're on the same page...lol
Old 10-28-2004, 10:08 AM
98EXL, v2.0.1.33

wow, I'm sorry to hear things humper......keep up the good work
Old 10-29-2004, 10:50 AM
Instructor

Well, I went back to FM-modulated setup until tomorrow (Saturday). This is because the people at Blitzsafe have not called me back like I expected them to. Oh well. The FM-modulation is fairly good though. I don't detect a whole lot of static, only a small amount. I will let everyone know if we can install this Blitzsafe adapter tomorrow.
Old 10-30-2004, 02:30 PM
Instructor

I finally got the Blitzsafe adapter working correctly. Man, does this feel good. I-MOD actually hooked it up for me, but it works. You have to make a slight modification to the Bus Cable 2 Port and the Blitzsafe adapter in order to make it work. I-MOD will be able to further explain everything, i.e. how he hooked it up, etc. Basically what he did was to add a SPST (single pole, single throw) switch. He hooked up the free female end of the Bus Cable 2 Port into the male end of the Blitzsafe adapter as usual. What he did differently was to cut (or remove the yellow plastic covering) from the SHOND3 adapter (he switched my Blitzsafe adapter for the SHOND3 adapter for unknown reasons, but it worked). He then just added the switch in between the bus connector and the yellow-covered wire. This will in effect, switch between the XM radio and your AUX-in audio. I verified that this will work, so I'm a happy camper right now. Basically, now I have a CD player, XM radio, AM/FM radio, mp3 player, and a DVD player in my car.

Here's what I get (audio) when I press the "CD/SAT Radio" button in my Accord.
1.) CD player
2.) Press once - XM 1 (presets) (I will hear audio from my DVD player if I don't flip my installed switch)
3.) Press twice - XM 2 (presets) (I will hear audio from my DVD player if I don't flip my installed switch)
4.) Press three times - CD-C (I hear audio from my DVD player)

I have to take the wife on a date, but if I-MOD can't post pictures or anything, then I will take pictures and try to post them a little later.
Old 10-30-2004, 03:46 PM
VP Electricity

Sweet!

My guess is that I-MOD is turning OFF the adapter by cutting power, and so problem goes away when it's off...?

I-MOD?
Old 10-30-2004, 07:41 PM
Instructor

That is exactly why the switch is installed. It's cutting power to the bus cable (I think).

Quick Reply: FINALLY! Keeping XM and adding an AUX input!