TL: Fair Price for Alarm/Remote Start Installation?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 05:36 PM
DECEPTICON

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fair Price for Alarm/Remote Start Installation?

Hi All,

I've been away from this forum for a while now, due to my job taking me all over the place and having no time to work on any of my cars or other toys

Anyway, I have a large pile of parts & mods for my '03 TLS that have been sitting in the garage for over a year now, and since I have close to 2 months of paid vacation [woo-hoo!] I'm going to try and get most of them installed between snowmobiling trips..

My question - I bought a Python 872 alarm & remote start that's been sitting and now it's time to have it installed...I'm pretty good with electronics but not sure if I want to tackle this myself. So I called the local Python dealer, who also does all of the work for the local Acura dealer here, and they quoted me $125 [I already have the bypass module] for the installation...

now that price sounds fair to me, but I have limited knowledge in this area, so I just want to be sure that it is fair...

Thanks,
-Mark
Old 12-16-2009, 11:44 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,467 Likes on 3,061 Posts
That's a great price
Old 12-23-2009, 11:44 AM
DECEPTICON

Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL
That's a great price
Thanks, BlackAck
Old 12-23-2009, 01:14 PM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
great price. I had a remote start/keyless entry installed last year on an integra for @225 including the brain.

I had just the remote start installed for $300 on my es300 this year.
Old 12-24-2009, 01:12 AM
Instructor

That price seems very low. I'd worry about how good a job he will do. I've seen too many cheap installs where the brain is just tucked and the wires look like a rats nest. Those types of installs usually run into problems down the road.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:00 AM
Racer

When you have it installed you may want to consider having the rear defroster come on with the remote start and have the option to turn the seat heat on with the remote start also have the option with a switch in the car to turn the seat heat feature off or on during winter and off during summer. Any installer that knows what he's doing can make it happen. If they say it can't be done I would get a installer that knows how to do it which if a good way to know your getting a good install with or with out these options that will cost a little more to do.

Last edited by Joe Foe from Buffalo; 12-24-2009 at 09:02 AM.
Old 12-25-2009, 07:36 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
sounds like a good deal especially if they do the work for the dealer
Old 12-25-2009, 01:43 PM
DECEPTICON

Originally Posted by Joe Foe from Buffalo
When you have it installed you may want to consider having the rear defroster come on with the remote start and have the option to turn the seat heat on with the remote start also have the option with a switch in the car to turn the seat heat feature off or on during winter and off during summer. Any installer that knows what he's doing can make it happen. If they say it can't be done I would get a installer that knows how to do it which if a good way to know your getting a good install with or with out these options that will cost a little more to do.
Yes I was going to have the rear defroster actuated that way. With the seats I just leave the heater switches turned on all the time in the winter, so no need for the additional switch, etc.
Old 12-25-2009, 01:47 PM
DECEPTICON

Originally Posted by on1wheel01
sounds like a good deal especially if they do the work for the dealer
Yeah I checked around and turns out they do work for 2 Acura dealers in the area, and a few guys from the Porsche forum that I frequent swear by them for any type of audio/security setups. I'm not sure if any of you guys are also Porsche owners, or happen to know one, but we are a very picky crowd when it comes to our cars, so if these guys say they do good work I'm going to take [their] word for it.

Thanks for all of the feedback, guys
Old 12-25-2009, 10:14 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by SBUtypeS
Yes I was going to have the rear defroster actuated that way.

I'd have them hook it up to an aux output if your alarm has the capability.

Originally Posted by SBUtypeS
Yeah I checked around and turns out they do work for 2 Acura dealers in the area, and a few guys from the Porsche forum that I frequent swear by them for any type of audio/security setups. I'm not sure if any of you guys are also Porsche owners, or happen to know one, but we are a very picky crowd when it comes to our cars, so if these guys say they do good work I'm going to take [their] word for it.

Thanks for all of the feedback, guys
Actually I've found that most of the dealership installers around here are the worst. Dealerships beat audio shops up in price threatening to go elsewhere with a lot of business if you don't agree. So to still make something on the job the installer usually cut corners to install it as fast as possible. Some of the worst alarm hemorrhages I've seen have come from those guys. Especially the mobile dealership installers.

If you can, try taking a look under the dash of some vehicle's they have done. If you see a wiring mess then definitely go elsewhere. Also ask what kind of installation warranty they offer.
Old 12-26-2009, 07:11 PM
Advanced

I did the same thing as you by buying the pythong 872 from ebay and have a python dealer install it. I would say to talk to the guys, find out what types of installs they do! If they solder wires, where they hid the brain, etc...

I paid $250 here in ny for just install plus three different sensors for security. Sounds like a good deal, but ask the questions now. If installed by a directed dealer, you should get a lifetime warranty on labor and parts! good luck
Old 12-29-2009, 01:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
that is a great price... last year i personally installed the Hornet equivalent of that Alarm/Autostart in the lady's Corolla... it took me a week to do since i would only be able to dedicate a few hours after work every day... but im anal with alarms since i have had to fix hackjobs in the past and they are nightmares...

def ask if they solder at least the important (ignition) wires at a minimum... otherwise run the other way...
Old 01-04-2010, 09:53 PM
DFW AREA,

its pretty easy to install tho, it wont take more then a day, if you know where all the wires are then yull be sit, just tap into them and go, but that price is alright if you what them to do it. i self installed rs-730 autopage