Factory Boss Sub and New Head Unit

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2004 | 03:57 PM
3rd Gear

Factory Boss Sub and New Head Unit

Ok, I have been reading a bunch of threads that say if you change out the head unit and put an aftermarket one in the TL, then the sub won't work anymore...

Is this true and Why?

Is there any way to hookup the factory sub with the new head unit?

Thanks for the help

JJ
Old 04-07-2004 | 04:59 PM
Burning Brakes

yep you are going to loose the sub.. as for why well i dont know how much you already know about the acura tl factory radio so i will start from the basics...

the audio signal is feed from the radio as a low level signal (unamplified) to a eq that is located right behind the navi or ac controls depending on model of tl... in this eq the audio is seperated high and low and the low freqs are sent to the sub amp where they are amplified and sent to the woofer.. the sub amp is located behind the rear seat on the passanger side of the vehicle.... the high freqs are sent back to the headunit to be amplified and then passed on to the stock door speakers... when you add an after market headunit you are totally cutting out the loop from the headunit thru the eq and back to the headunit... the wiring harness simply wires the new headunit to what use to be the output of the stock radio to the door speakers.... so now instead of the signal going from the headunit thru the eq and back to the headunit then out to the door speakers.. your signal is simply just going out to the door speakers..... so if no signal is going thru the eq then there is no signal being sent to the sub amp... and there will be no output from the woofer....

as for can you hookup the factory sub with a aftermarket headunit... well sure... anything is possible with enought experience and enough money... but why would you want to... but say you really really just had to have that stock sub to work then you might want to look at the schematic... this is what i came up with when i had this thought... the aftermarket headunit will have a sub rca out... plug in a rca cable and cut off the other end... now wire this end to the sub amp that is located behind the rear seat or you could patch in under the dash makes no difference... this should work since the rca out is a low level signal and that is what needs to be feed into the sub amp i am sure i am leaving something out but i dont have the schematics infront of me at this particular moment....

All and all i say if you are going to replace the headunit replace everything... alot easier and you will acheive alot better sound...
Old 04-07-2004 | 07:22 PM
3rd Gear

Thanks homie

Hey! I appreciate the advice, Thanks for the help. Well to explain why I was asking about hooking the stock sub back up is because my stock CD player sucks...only plays when it wants to or when it is warm (I haven't quite figured that out yet) Anyhow I need a new HU and don't really have the money for a seperate sub and amp, so I was hoping there was someway that I could hook up the factory sub to save money...Thanks for the Info, that will come in handy.

Peace
Old 04-07-2004 | 07:24 PM
3rd Gear

oh one more thing...where would I look for the schematics for my HU or would that just come in the box with the new HU?
Old 04-08-2004 | 08:21 AM
Burning Brakes

you need the schematics for the stock stereo... there use to be a post on here with them in it.. you might want to do a search... or get the helms manual they have all the schematics or find someone that has it and will scan them for you.. also if you radio does not work properly why not replace it with another one... is your car still under warranty.. if so let the dealer fix it.. if not find a used 2002-2003 cd player on ebay or look in the for sale forum here there is always someone selling one...