DVD Audio system undocumented feature

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 06:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
Linkin Park Reanimation has nothing on Group 2.. it will go to Group 2 then switch discs.. so there is no extra content...
Old 07-06-2004, 07:11 PM
Does anyone read this

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cTLgo
Linkin Park Reanimation has nothing on Group 2.. it will go to Group 2 then switch discs.. so there is no extra content...
Damn!!!! those cheap beeeooootches
Old 07-06-2004, 09:01 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for this valuable info. I shared it with other audiophile TL owners on Audio Asylum forums. I also called AIX and ordered four DVD-As. Turns out, the owner took my order, and we talked TLs a bit. I thanked him for the info here at our forum.
Old 07-07-2004, 01:43 AM
Intermediate

This is super-sweet info. Thanks, Zonie. In case this hasn't already been posted, Fleetwood Mac's Rumors has a 3rd group that's just instrumental with voiceovers from Mick Fleetwood about the songs on the album. Pretty sweet. I also noticed that Queen's "A Night At The Opera" has a different remix of Bohemian Rhapsody in Group 3, but strangely a bunch of "empty' tracks in Group 2.
Old 07-07-2004, 01:56 AM
9th Gear

Zonie, thanks for all the info. I checked out the AIX website and ordered a couple DVD's. Can't wait to try them out on the TL.
Old 07-07-2004, 12:33 PM
Cruisin'

Awesome info on the other programs, too. Thanks for brightening my day (Wavelab 5 on the way!)
Old 07-07-2004, 01:11 PM
GÜNnµ ¡Ï

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NOX 3.2
TIP:

All you have to do to translate the page from Japanese into English
is go to babelfish on altavista.com
http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/

paste the Japanese URL
http://www.digion.com/dl/dau2_up.htm

(where it says "Translate a Web Page"):
select the language pair and click on the "Translate" button!

Even the pulldown menus get translated...

I've been using it for 6 years on many sites, try it!

NOX. sorry to bother you.. but i did your steps and i downloaded it.. but when going the installation, it tells me someting which i cant seem to highlight and translate.. but i just clikc ok and nothing happens... were does this go anyway? wierd..... like maybe there is an error and its not installing for some reason but i cant read JAP... lol.. cant translate pop up windows...
Old 07-07-2004, 01:20 PM
Team Anthracite

Originally Posted by GunnmeTaLCURA04
NOX. sorry to bother you.. but i did your steps and i downloaded it.. but when going the installation, it tells me someting which i cant seem to highlight and translate.. but i just clikc ok and nothing happens... were does this go anyway? wierd..... like maybe there is an error and its not installing for some reason but i cant read JAP... lol.. cant translate pop up windows...
Take a screenshot and someone can give it a shot. If I can't read it, my wife can tell me.
Old 07-07-2004, 02:31 PM
GÜNnµ ¡Ï

Originally Posted by Mylriahd
Take a screenshot and someone can give it a shot. If I can't read it, my wife can tell me.
ok here they are. they are in order from top to bottom... from the first thing that pops up to the last.

thanks alot.... AND NOX... ARE U AROUND MAN..... HELPPPP PLEASE..... THANKS.. AGAIN.
Old 07-07-2004, 03:43 PM
Cruisin'

small tip, dvd+rw does NOT work
gonna go get some dvd-rw's on the way home.
Old 07-07-2004, 04:28 PM
Intermediate

Do DVD+Rs work?
Old 07-07-2004, 10:10 PM
Cruisin'

doubt it, i think they're pretty much the same format. i don't really want to waste one finding out. I bought some dvd-rws and i'm burning it again right now.
Old 07-08-2004, 06:14 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Alicia Keys - Songs in A Minor has Group2, appears to be the same album but in Stereo, nothing new or major. Haven't tried Missy E yet.
Old 07-08-2004, 08:12 AM
Instructor

where is everyone shopping for there dvd-a
Old 07-08-2004, 12:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I get some at MediaPlay, and 1 at BestBuy.. I think online is going to be the best outlet, stores just aren't up to it.
Old 07-09-2004, 06:47 AM
4th Gear

Digion 2.0 Trial version

Originally Posted by GunnmeTaLCURA04

Well, I actually got the Digion 2.0 trial version to download. The file that you download from the original link posted is only an updater of a licensed copy. Here is the first page that will allow you to fill out the information and get the 30 day copy. BTW, that babelfish link rocks!

http://www.digion.com/pc/support/dl/...al.htm?trl=prd

I will say that downloading in a foreign language is a pretty big leap of faith (hell, I lived in Japan for 3 years), and even when you get the program, there will be some trial and errors in getting the program to work as all of the drop downs are in Japanese. Additionally, when you install, it will have the normal dialogue boxes (except in Japanese). I was trusting and did not de-select any of the checked boxes and have had no issues to date. The easiest way is to open the files that you want to burn (ctrl + O, you can select multiple files with ctrl-a and shift, etc...). Then select the audio writing tab and the files should show up in this window. Make sure that the "DVD Audio" radial is highlited and drag the files to the larger window to the right of the track listing. When you move them, it will let you change the properties (2ch, 16 bit, group #, etc...). Get them in the order you want them and hit the red record button (ctrl-I). This pulls up a prep screen and gives you the option to change the temp drive (OPTION). THIS IS A MUST CHANGE IF THE DEFAULT DRIVE LOCATION DOES NOT HAVE ENOUGH DRIVE SPACE. After that, hit the WRITE button and wait, and wait, and wait. I am using a sony Vaio with the Pioneer A04 drive and Sony DVD-R's. My TL didn't even flinch with a tester of 55 tracks of Sting. Still more options to try so have fun!
Old 08-05-2004, 08:07 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Crusader
Do DVD+Rs work?
Yes. I tried a Ritek DVD+R today. However, DVD+RWs do not play in the TL. Right now I use them (to back up my HD and) to burn test discs to play in my Panasonic S55.
Old 08-05-2004, 08:12 PM
GÜNnµ ¡Ï

Originally Posted by dsbail
Well, I actually got the Digion 2.0 trial version to download. The file that you download from the original link posted is only an updater of a licensed copy. Here is the first page that will allow you to fill out the information and get the 30 day copy. BTW, that babelfish link rocks!

http://www.digion.com/pc/support/dl/...al.htm?trl=prd

I will say that downloading in a foreign language is a pretty big leap of faith (hell, I lived in Japan for 3 years), and even when you get the program, there will be some trial and errors in getting the program to work as all of the drop downs are in Japanese. Additionally, when you install, it will have the normal dialogue boxes (except in Japanese). I was trusting and did not de-select any of the checked boxes and have had no issues to date. The easiest way is to open the files that you want to burn (ctrl + O, you can select multiple files with ctrl-a and shift, etc...). Then select the audio writing tab and the files should show up in this window. Make sure that the "DVD Audio" radial is highlited and drag the files to the larger window to the right of the track listing. When you move them, it will let you change the properties (2ch, 16 bit, group #, etc...). Get them in the order you want them and hit the red record button (ctrl-I). This pulls up a prep screen and gives you the option to change the temp drive (OPTION). THIS IS A MUST CHANGE IF THE DEFAULT DRIVE LOCATION DOES NOT HAVE ENOUGH DRIVE SPACE. After that, hit the WRITE button and wait, and wait, and wait. I am using a sony Vaio with the Pioneer A04 drive and Sony DVD-R's. My TL didn't even flinch with a tester of 55 tracks of Sting. Still more options to try so have fun!

when you say change these settings.. will it do 5.1 meaning it will be like the sample DVD-A the car brings or no? Because of last time i heard, these programs are for basically putting alot of songs on a disk.
Old 08-05-2004, 08:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Brainerupt
If this in fact does work with DVD-A discs then you have just solved the mystery for those who want to play MP3s through their default player as well. I have speken to a few people about Wavelab 5.0 and this program will allow you to setup a folder for each group/type of MP3s. Whether you want to seperate songs by genre or by KBPS rate I've been told it is possible with Wavelab 5.0. I am still organizing my first disc so I can't personally confirm this but will be able to very soon. Thanks for the new info.
uhmmm, no. you can only fit so many high quality songs onto a dvd disc in dvd-a format. if the TL played MP3's you could burn thousands of songs onto dvd-r as a dvd data disc. this group feature only allows you to organize, not add more data.
Old 08-05-2004, 08:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by spatt
small tip, dvd+rw does NOT work
gonna go get some dvd-rw's on the way home.
dvd-r media does, that's what i use.
Old 08-05-2004, 08:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by tonyg24
where is everyone shopping for there dvd-a
your lowest price will be on Buy.com in their Media Supply Section. very good quality media at substantial lower prices than retail stores.
Old 08-06-2004, 10:03 PM
Instructor

I just burned 9 Pink Floyd studio CDs on one DVD+R, dividing them into 9 separate groups. Good news--it worked! Bad news--in my Panasonic DVD-S55 and not in my TL! The TL has played 2 other DVD+R single-group discs, same media type (Ritek). I was also able to access Group 2 on Metallica so I know the group select is working.

When I put my Pink Floyd DVD in, it says "Disc" and spits it back at me. It sounds good on the home system, exactly like the CDs! But kind of pointless when the original CDs are in the changer right below the DVD player.

So what's the limit on groups? Somewhere between 4 (yellow brick road) and 8 (because 9 doesn't work!)???
Old 09-05-2004, 03:37 PM
2nd Gear

DVD+RW do work if you burn using the DVD-Rom booktype.

The DVD-Rom booktype setting is available on the BenQ DVD burner. I am unsure which other DVD burners support this feature.

I have been successful playing:
DTS 5.1 CD Audio discs CDr & CDrw
DVD+RW (with DVD-Rom booktype set)
DVD-RW

Also, I have heard that discWelder Chrome supports Groups, but looking at discWelder's website... Chrome is big $$$.

Has anyone played with straight MP3's, or creating a DVD Audio disc with DTS only information?
Old 09-08-2004, 04:23 PM
2nd Gear

By the way, I have not yet tested my BenQ (with DVD-Rom booktype set)
on DVD+R (with DVD-Rom booktype set)
or DVD-R

I will post my results when I get around to finalizing a DVD recording.