AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   Audio, Video, Electronics & Navigation (https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-video-electronics-navigation-22/)
-   -   Dvd-audio...great...but Is It A Dead Technology? (https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-video-electronics-navigation-22/dvd-audio-great-but-dead-technology-332964/)

sailorman 02-26-2006 10:47 AM

Dvd-audio...great...but Is It A Dead Technology?

Everyone Who Hears Dvd-audio Thinks It's The Greatest...but I've Just About Run Out Of New Titles To Buy. Why Are There So Few Artists And Discs Available. I Would Think With The Downloading Of Music By Kids These Days And The Lower Sales Of Music Cd's That Dvd-audio Would Be A Great Way For The Music Companies To Sell Something In Stores That You Can't Download On Line.
What's Worse...even Though There Are Lots Of Dvd-videos...you Can't Play Them On The RL's System And There Does Not Appear To Be Any Way To Re-record The Dvd-videos Into Dvd-audios At Home.
What Was The Point Of Putting A Dvd-audio Surround System In The RL?
Does Anyone Know....

1) Can We Upgrade Our RL Sound System To Play Dvd-audio?
2) Are There Dvd-recorders That Will Make Dvd-audios From Dvd-videos?
3) Does The Music Industry Ever Plan To Expand It's Offerings?

dark inspire 02-26-2006 11:26 AM

Welcome! :woot:

I'm not too sure about the futures of DVD-A. I personally don't like sounds coming from everywhere and enjoy the 2 channel stereo when it comes to music. I think there are probably converters out there for the RL to play DVD video's though.

Meek32v6 02-27-2006 11:55 AM

I dont know! But it's upsetting for the TL too:( The only way I get some use out of it is when I make my own songs in Garageband or listen to techno ( or any song that has a lot of stuff going on in it where it actually switches from rear to front to left speakers in a course of 2 secs:P

CGTSX2004 02-27-2006 12:02 PM

I think there will be more of a future for DVD audio when more high-fidelity, uncompressed recordings become available to the general public on the internet. If they accomplish this, then DVD-audio burning will become more commonplace and will become a more readily available medium. It's just going to take time for people to adapt.

jlukja 02-27-2006 02:23 PM

:eek: I have trouble reading when every word starts with caps.

Lamebirdy 02-28-2006 02:42 PM

The reason there arent many titles is because it costs the labels more to produce. Most records arent being made with surround sound in mind, as far as they are concerned its still just a niche market. Its not like they can just take a stereo mix and instantly make it surround, they actually need to go in and remix the songs...for those not familiar, an expensive and time consuming process requiring access to the master tapes, usually the original engineers etc... The surround discs are out there but the bigger thing is to include one or 2 surround mixes on a disc so its kind of a hybrid cd/dvd-audio thing. I personally hope it becomes a bigger thing, as I think its great, and allows for the musicians to be a little more experimental, and for the engineers to be more creative allowing for a more interesting listening experience. Plus most cd stores just mix in the dvd-audio/SACD's with the stereo cd's. Another thing to remember is that just because its a DVD-Audio doesnt mean its going to be in Surround sound, it could just be a higher sampling rate....allowing for a cleaner transfer from the recording media to the disc. Just my :2cents: