Dual Disks?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2005, 07:05 AM
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 73 Posts
Dual Disks?

Anyone try to play the "dual disks" on their 3G TL? I can get the CD side to play, but not the 5.1 side to play. I keep getting "Format Error".

According to the packaging, the dual disks play in any CD/DVD players.
Old 11-04-2005, 09:28 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've not had any problems reading the CD sides of them but haven't had the need for the 5.1 side because my deck doesn't support it. Alpine had a bulletin I received at work a few months back though that said they didn't do any testing with DualDisc & that they couldn't guarantee that it would work in their players at all.
Old 11-04-2005, 04:16 PM
Racer

cars like the tl support dvd-audio for 5.1 channel sound ... some DualDiscs, namely some by Sony who supports the competing SACD format, so their dualdisc might have cd on one side, and a dvd-video on the other side with just an audio track. a 5.1 audio track on a dvd-video disc is not the same as a dvd-audio disc, so sometimes that's the issue...

-vasu
Old 11-05-2005, 10:49 AM
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 73 Posts
Thanks, guys. So, I guess the real answer is, no matter what the dual disk case says, the TL can not play the multi-channel side. That sucks. I figured since the case said it could be played in all CD/DVD players refers only to the CD side of it. Even if there were video in the multi-channel side, I thought that it would at least play the audio portion in multi-channel. Kind of mis-leading from the dis manufacturers.
Old 11-05-2005, 11:11 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by graphicguy
Thanks, guys. So, I guess the real answer is, no matter what the dual disk case says, the TL can not play the multi-channel side. That sucks. I figured since the case said it could be played in all CD/DVD players refers only to the CD side of it. Even if there were video in the multi-channel side, I thought that it would at least play the audio portion in multi-channel. Kind of mis-leading from the dis manufacturers.
If you can find a dualdisc with DVD Audio on the multichannel side, then it should play just fine. Nothing recorded by sont will be in the DVD Audio format, sony has all the rights to SACD so thats what they record in.
Old 11-05-2005, 09:15 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by graphicguy
DualDiscs have the regular 2 channel recording on one side and either DVD-A or DVD-V on the flipside. The ELS system will play DualDiscs if it is a DVD-A. Sony/BMG has opted to use DVD-V on the flipside of their DualDiscs and will keep SACD as their Hi-rez format. You will have to look at the DVD logo on the backcover to determine if it is one or the other. Simple Plan's "Still Not Getting Any..." is a DVD-A on the flipside but it shows the DVD-V logo. Another indication is the term "Advanced Resolution Surround Sound". However, this is not always printed on the cover. There are numerous thread about DVD-A discs, just run a search. Here are a few:
https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/cool-games-121319/
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109973
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108788